Bacon- Carbs or not?

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
I've noticed in a few peoples diary entries that it says 0 carbs next to their bacon. Where as mine has 3g carbs for 150g. I've looked in the USDA data base which states bacon does have carbs... Which is correct?

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    According to the package on my bacon it shows 0 carbs
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Some bacon has added sugar. Check the nutrition information on your package.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Some bacon has added sugar. Check the nutrition information on your package.

Aah ok. I buy mine from the butcher, no package.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Any carbs in bacon are negligible and outweighed by the protein and fat. IMO
  • Christine_72
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    Any carbs in bacon are negligible and outweighed by the protein and fat. IMO

Cool thanks :smile: I've also noticed our bacon (Australia ) looks very different to American bacon. I'll post a pic.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the maple flavored bacon might have carbs, but none of the regular kinds I've ever bought have them.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, yes, that does look different from the bacon I buy here in the US!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that looks more like what we in Canada might call peameal bacon. It might have a few carbs but still the protein and fat will likely off-set the few carbs.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I think I've seen Americans describe that it's similar to "Canadian bacon "
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    It's " back bacon"!
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I like how much more meaty it looks.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    mrron2u wrote: »
    I like how much more meaty it looks.

Tastes wonderful. I had a friend visit America and she went on and on about their bacon. She said it's more fat than actual bacon.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Oh wow, yes, that does look different from the bacon I buy here in the US!

I would say the same! That doesn't even look like American bacon. That looks so much better!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Canadian bacon in the u.s. is different from peameal bacon from Canada (I grew up in Ontario and now live in the U.S.) the Australian bacon looks just like peameal bacon without the peameal. Peameal bacon is also soaked in a brine so it's basically pickled bacon. Very yummy!!
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    @christine_72 - that looks like UK back bacon. It's what I eat daily. Yum.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    What I've heard and read is that even if bacon is sugar-cured (thus having carbs before cooking), the sugar is burned off in the cooking process leaving you with a zero-carb end product. Not 100% positive that is correct but I run with it (but then again my carb limit is around 50 with wiggle room so I can afford a measure of less-accuracy)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Once in a while I'll buy bacon slab, about 8 pounds, from a butcher. I never asked how much sugar he uses but I guess I could find out. My carb intake is leaves a fair amount of room for some sugar in my bacon. And, the pic above, looks nothing like the slab he sells me. US bacon has quite a bit of marbling(fat) which makes the drippings a little more easy to work with at room temperature.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The U.S. bacon I buy says 0 carbs, and is hickory smoked. The applewood smoked is 1carb. But yes, we do have more fat in our bacon, but that's not a bad thing!
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I buy uncured bacon therefore it is zero carbs/sugars. When it is cured especially with sugar I don't trust that 0 carb/sugar label.