Pain from Cat Scan Contrast!

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
I had a Cat Scan last Tuesday (routine diagnostic, noting new). I had to drink 450 ml of Redi-cat barium, then had the IV contrast too. I believe there was some sugar in there somewhere because the pain I had in my shoulder (that showed up about the time I got home) came out of nowhere! I had to pull out the heating pad, which I haven't had to do for months! This is the reason I avoid sugar, in all forms!

Feeling better now! Just wanted to warn my fellow pain sufferers that this can happen!

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    BOO! Sorry about that. Glad you recovered quickly. :smiley:
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Oh wow! In the summer I get to have my first colonoscopy (turned 50) and that was one question I had was if there was sugar in the mix I need to drink. As always we need to be our own advocates and remember to ask these questions. Sorry about the shoulder pain but glad you are feeling better now!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @carlsoda, the colonoscopy prep shouldn't have any sugar in it. Most doctors prescribe the liquid magnesium citrate to drink now, along with some laxative pills (at least that's what I've seen lately), and the IV fluids given during the procedure have no sugar. The only sugar that may be received would be in the anesthetic agents they may use, but this would only be a few ml. Hopefully it won't be enough to bother you!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    In the UK, you don't have to have anaesthetic for a colonoscopy, last time I had one, I had gas and air to manage discomfort.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    In the UK, you don't have to have anaesthetic for a colonoscopy, last time I had one, I had gas and air to manage discomfort.

The anaesthetic is the only part I'm looking forward to!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    Oh wow! In the summer I get to have my first colonoscopy (turned 50) and that was one question I had was if there was sugar in the mix I need to drink. As always we need to be our own advocates and remember to ask these questions. Sorry about the shoulder pain but glad you are feeling better now!!

Be prepared for the explosive effects :open_mouth: Do NOT venture far away from the toilet. As someone else mentioned, the concoction they make you drink is usually mag citrate, which works wonderfully to clean you out thoroughly!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Lol! But you get to go home quicker after gas and air! But the trapped wind afterwards was SO painful.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    We get the trapped air here too! I beg people to let it go all the time! Lol! Asking people to pass gas, in a room full of other patients, is embarrassing for them! It gets them relief though! So yea, let it go afterwards!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I had a Cat Scan last Tuesday (routine diagnostic, noting new). I had to drink 450 ml of Redi-cat barium, then had the IV contrast too. I believe there was some sugar in there somewhere because the pain I had in my shoulder (that showed up about the time I got home) came out of nowhere! I had to pull out the heating pad, which I haven't had to do for months! This is the reason I avoid sugar, in all forms!

Feeling better now! Just wanted to warn my fellow pain sufferers that this can happen!

whoa, hope all is well now. I get achy hips after eating bread (gluten).
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you @camtosh! I'm super fortunate that pain flares are now short lived (mentally knocks on wood, lol!). This woe is amazing!
  • carlsoda
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I'm not even sure they will offer it. It's being done in a medical professional building next to the hospital. So who knows! Luckily there is such a backlog I don't go in until July. I have plenty of time to chicken out :)
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    If you are in the US @carlsoda you will likely receive what's called "conscious sedation". Once they get you ready they will usually give a medicine called "Versed". This will help you relax and will induce amnesia (wonderful drug!), so you don't remember the test. Then, during the colonoscopy you will be given more medication (usually Fentanyl (a narcotic like Morphine), or Propofol (a sedative that stops working as soon as it's stopped, yes, this is what killed Michael Jackson, but it wasn't used properly). There aren't many people who could make it through a colonoscopy without these meds.

Just a little education for you, from one nurse who administers the Versed (I make people happy as a legal drug pusher, lol!).
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    If you are in the US @carlsoda you will likely receive what's called "conscious sedation". Once they get you ready they will usually give a medicine called "Versed". This will help you relax and will induce amnesia (wonderful drug!), so you don't remember the test. Then, during the colonoscopy you will be given more medication (usually Fentanyl (a narcotic like Morphine), or Propofol (a sedative that stops working as soon as it's stopped, yes, this is what killed Michael Jackson, but it wasn't used properly). There aren't many people who could make it through a colonoscopy without these meds.

Just a little education for you, from one nurse who administers the Versed (I make people happy as a legal drug pusher, lol!).

Interesting. I just wish the Mayo Clinic swallowable camera was up and running!