Karla OMAD Journey Thread!

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
Hello everyone! I'm Karla. I'm a lifelong, failure of dieting. As many others have, I have tried it all, including weight loss surgery! Last March I began eating low carb high fat to ,once again, try to lose some weight! I never anticipated the health benefits that were coming!.....Brief back story: have been unable to work for ten years (I'm an RN) due to neck pain, migraines, and fibromyalgia. The pain has been debilitating at times! Since around month two of LCHF I began to feel better with an overall good feeling. In November I returned to working, at a surgery center! I feel like I have found a missing part, and feel whole again! Any time I consume higher carbs, I hurt. So I avoid them.

I have now lost 42 pounds. I had stalled on the scale for six months from June, through December only losing one pound (but did lose inches). I've done my modified OMAD for the past week, and have dropped 3.2 pounds!

I haven't been hungry on LCHF and I am finding even less hunger (and inability to eat very much food before becoming full) from eating OMAD. I'm assuming this is expected. I'm trying to get back into logging my foods. I did on Saturday when I ate several small servings of food throughout the day. I haven't today, and don't have time since I have to be up for work in six hours as it is now! Will be back!

PS! To create your own thread: First you need to "Join" the group, then you can see a "create" button above the thread list. Good luck!

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Hi, Karla. Could've sworn I replied to this thread. Guess I didn't.

Welcome!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Monday, December 21, 2015:
    Made it through my Monday at work with my decaf (24 oz, with 3 tbsp heavy whipping cream) coffee.
    Made a supper of leftover hamburger patties cut up and mixed with diced tomatoes and mushrooms, topped with parmesan cheese. After about 1 cup I was full. The calories weren't that great. So, I've now rationalized that since I'm a weight loss surgery patient I won't be able to eat enough calories during a meal. So, I will give myself a four hour eating window, where I will consume my meal, and then the "seconds", or more calories, approximately three hours later (since I remain satiated for a couple of hours after a meal. I ate two servings of pork skins three hours after my meal this evening. I have logged my food today and need to add the pork skins to see my total for the day.

Overall, was a good day, even though it was a busy workday. I will work again tomorrow. FYI: I'm a nurse "substitute", so, I don't work five days a week at this point.

I'm sure that some more tweaking of OMAD will be in order for me as I go along.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Just over 1000 calories for the four hour window. I had forgotten about some cheese I had with supper too that I had logged! Overall, a success imo!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Yes, success. Don't be afraid to re-work things as needed. Nothing wrong with that.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap

I think any day under maint cals is a succes. I haven't had surgery but still eat similar to you during about a three hr window. I won't lose as fast as those who get by on less cals and eat in 1hr but I think I can be more consistant this way. I usually count the cals and try to make sure my protein intake is adequate by eating whey protein drinks most nights. I take a multivitamin also to try to make sure I get proper nutrients. I want to be in it for the long haul so sustainability is important for me. Keep at it!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks guys! Your feedback is reassuring!

Made it through today until 4pm (first hour of my eating window), then had an ounce of sharp cheddar. At 5:30 I had 1/2 cup of cooked hamburger meat with one slice of gouda cheese melted on top, and two super small baby back pork ribs, and I was satisfied. It's and your and a half later and I still am!

I'm happy with OMAD and plan to be here!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Had a good day! Made it to 5:30pm before eating sausage, and pimento cheese (weird, but very LCHF).

I did feel extra tired today at work, and had a migraine. But, I haven't slept well the past few nights, contributing to the migraine. Other than the need for sodium I don't believe these are related to the way I'm eating.

I managed 870 calories today. My main concern is the energy needed. How much of our energy comes from our muscles? I don't want to use them for energy, since I've done so well with LCHF. Curious about opinions on this. Thanks!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Had a good day! Made it to 5:30pm before eating sausage, and pimento cheese (weird, but very LCHF).

I did feel extra tired today at work, and had a migraine. But, I haven't slept well the past few nights, contributing to the migraine. Other than the need for sodium I don't believe these are related to the way I'm eating.

I managed 870 calories today. My main concern is the energy needed. How much of our energy comes from our muscles? I don't want to use them for energy, since I've done so well with LCHF. Curious about opinions on this. Thanks!

As you adjust, migraine and weakness may be there. The key is to push through that and adjust. Once done, you will be in the habit of burning what's ON you rather than IN you. That is why people get so out-of-whack and non-functional when they don't have food because their body has learned to function only when full, which means no weight loss because the body has gotten used to having enough food.

As for muscle, your body is not going to start burning muscle except at long and sustained calorie deficits when fat deposits can't provide enough of a source of fuel. The occasional splurge day will keep that from happening.

You are doing great!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you @arguablysamson! Your reassurance has helped me, and I am pushing through!

Btw: I have been "adapted" and burning fat for fuel (I dropped 12 inches off my waist in ten months!) For about ten months. I am glad to know this is also a transition to eating this way. I can say that I will be glad when it passes! How long does this phase usually last? I know we are all different, but am curious if there's an average. Meanwhile, I'm KCOMO (keeping calm and one meal on!!
  • blambo61
    Options
    I think 870 cals is low. Again, I think sustainability is the key. I think we all have to go to a deficit level that is sustainable. Some can do it fast and others might not do it as fast. I'm on the higher side of cals but with a little cardio and the fast I've still burned about 2lbs a week. I don't know the equivalent of 870 cals for a guy my size but I don't think that would cut it for me. Make sure you get your protein, I think it helps to stave off hunger the next day and should alleviate your worries about loosing muscle. Just my opinion.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think calories is a lot different for us women Blambo =) Im actually dropping to 800 calories as of tomorrow, you guys get it a lot easier with calories!! =)

But, if I'm wrong, do correct me, I'm often wrong a lot.........hahha =)
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Calories are a thing left for the individual to manage. They are different for everyone, but the thing is, as long as you can stay functional and give yourself the occasional break, and you still see progress marching, you are fine. People can usually tell when they are getting extreme--slower losses, more personal misery and a lack of motivation and productivity, etc. And then there is the fact that a 4'8 woman with insulin sensitivity will have a much lower threshold than a 5'7 man. Just varies.
  • blambo61
    Options
    Sounds good! Keep up the good work.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Christmas day update, a day late.
    My food contribution at my parents home has been breakfast casseroles. This is my first year of LCHF at the holidays, so I made them without the bread (sausage, eggs, cream cheese, and cheddar, yum!). No complaints from the family either! I did have some too though!

My mother in law has always prepared Christmas dinner at their home. There was brisket, corn and green bean casseroles, potato salad, and rolls. I did allow myself a spoon (logged as two tbsp) of each "side" dish (no bread though), but after being LCHF for so long it tasted awful! Plus, the bloating that small amount caused was not worth it! The brisket was delicious though!

I logged just over 1200 calories, if I remember correctly. So, Christmas was a two meal day. Back to my OMAD today!

I did receive some clothing for gifts that are size L (from a 3x a year ago!), and they fit perfectly! I didn't even dream of getting to this size! It's wonderful though!!!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Excellent. I can tell you know your body and are really honing in on managing how you respond to the foods you eat. Really good...especially this time of year.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    My December 26th:
    Began the day with my usual, decaf coffee, with a tbsp heavy whipping cream. No hunger (been very lucky to not have hunger, for months! It's wonderful!)! Hubby made a ham and cheese omelette around 12:00. I made the decision to adjust my four hour eating window to 1-5), and ate half (being one egg, about two oz. ham, and one one half oz of cheddar)of the omelette. Then, about 4:30 I had 5 oz.of pulled pork with a tbsp of barbecue sauce, and an oz. Of sharp cheddar. I don't eat veggies very often. I like meat, and am more healthy than I've ever been after ten months of eating this way!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    It cut off my comment! MFP, PLEASE GET IT TOGETHER! I'm a slow typist, so this takes me some time! Rant done, for now!

I had said that I owe my success of learning how food affects me through using MFP. Plus, the group forums, and the friends I have made, has been amazing! I'm still learning and love the support here! Hugs to all!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    High five!!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi all! I've been mia the last few days without much to tell. My husband has been home on vacation for the past week, and he is one that eats something every few hours. He does eat LCHF with me, but feels his energy slumps if he doesn't eat like he does (he doesn't have a weight problem, but is enjoying the health benefits of eating this way!). So, it's made it near impossible for me to stick to OMAD while he is home. I have maintained my calorie deficit and LCHF way of eating, but have been having two meals for the past four days. I plan to continue with OMAD once he is back at work, and me too, next week!

I hope you all have a safe and very Happy New Year!!
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update, and a very happy New Year to you, as well!