South Beach blogs/websites/books?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
Hi all :)

For gut & satiety reasons, I can't do without some legumes and whole grains. I did South Beach a long time ago, and it worked very well. Lost that book, and there are a TON that have come out since, it's a bit overwhelming :/

Right now, I am not up for a lot of cooking, and although meal planning theoretically is simple enough on this plan, I think I might get bored relying on a handful of easy standbys. Soooo looking for a bit of inspiration and structure.

Can anyone recommend SB resources with very *easy*, fast, and good recipes? That don't involve a ton of one-off, US-only ingredients, ideally. (Or too many fish recipes. I love fresh fish, but the affordable frozen stuff in my area is gross.)

I saw "The South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook: 200 Easy Solutions for Everyday Meals" - anyone like that one? I'm thinking "The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life" might be better, based on reviews. Some people like the older books better. Will get one or the other, I'm sure - but - blogs, websites - any you love?

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    This blog has some good South Beach recipes

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/p/sbd-phase-one.html

I have and liked the SB Quick and Easy cookbook. I don't have the Super Quick so I'm not sure how they compare.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »

I have and liked the SB Quick and Easy cookbook. I don't have the Super Quick so I'm not sure how they compare.

Thanks so much, awesome :)
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2015
    Options
    So I got "The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life" and I'm pretty happy with it. It's all familiar - what's helpful is the structured meal planning. 3 meals + 2 snacks (1 hr after meals or before cravings - had forgotten that). Plus having recipes etc put together & handily accessible in one place (my phone). I think all the little tips - the snacks & their timing, soups recommended for lunches - will help me shave a couple of hundred off my day. It's food I ordinarily eat, but I've been averaging around 1800-2200, and I can't exercise right now. So I think this will help me drop the 5 pounds I'm looking to lose.

I've only looked at the meal plans & recipes - skipped most of the rest of the book & the exercise plan (a graduated walking plan that leads up to intervals). The recipes (naturally) provide guidance on portion/calorie control. I estimate the Phase 1 days to be worth around 1300-1500 or 1600 as written, probably closer to 1800 with my substitutions.

Has decent recipes that I actually *like* and have enjoyed many times, but wouldn't have thought to search for or cook myself. Snack ideas are good. Dinners all seem to be less than 40 mins, convenient. Examples: lamb & chickpeas, moussaka, a low-carb shepherd's pie, pan fried cod w greens; what looks like a good bean mash recipe (beans & legumes allowed throughout).

I'm going to amend this just a bit - no fruits allowed on phase one, but I'm still going to have blueberries and banana with my protein smoothie (as dessert instead of the ones in the book, which all seem to be about ricotta, not into that). I'm also not giving up higher-fat cuts of beef (can do without as much fat for chicken, fish, etc., but just no to stringy beef) or full-fat cheese. I do want to limit *some* sat fat - I know it's not supposed to be a problem for cholesterol, but mine's highish, and why take the chance.

I forgot that this plan is keen on margarine and sugar substitutes. I don't do either. Lower fat dairy is recommended, but my 2% greek yogurt & cottage cheese are within limits, & I don't really drink milk. The big sugar contributors in my day are in my coffee and that smoothie. (I mean tomatoes and legumes are allowed, but not carrots, peas, grainy breads & prepared starches, potatoes, rice. So it will be moderate-low, compared to SAD, in terms of carbs, I think.)
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I did get the Kindle edition for use on my Android (no Kindle). Navigating is annoying, don't know if it's the book or my phone.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

+1 for this site.

My eating is pretty Beachy, except for the margarine and low fat dairy bit. I love Kalynskitchen.

PS: I sent you a PM!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Good luck on the program! I'm glad you liked the book!
  • tomatoey
    Options

+1 for this site.

My eating is pretty Beachy, except for the margarine and low fat dairy bit. I love Kalynskitchen.

Woot! Awesome, Sabine - thanks! I've accepted your invitation :)

Thank you, anglyn! Appreciate your recommendation, again, and looking forward to trying out those recipes :)

Happy holidays, guys :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

+1 for this site.

Thank you, anglyn! Appreciate your recommendation, again, and looking forward to trying out those recipes :)

Great! Hope to see you there. For what it's worth, we're going to do a Phase 1 tune up starting January 10!
  • tomatoey
    Options

+1 for this site.

Great! Hope to see you there. For what it's worth, we're going to do a Phase 1 tune up starting January 10!

Ah cool! Support's going to be helpful, I'm sure! I'm doing a sort of Phase 1.5 at the moment - if this doesn't work, I may be there :)

So far, I've tried and enjoyed the roast beef rollups with horseradish and the red bean mash (so simple and tasty!) Looking forward to testing out more recipes :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

+1 for this site.

Ah cool! Support's going to be helpful, I'm sure! I'm doing a sort of Phase 1.5 at the moment - if this doesn't work, I may be there :)

So far, I've tried and enjoyed the roast beef rollups with horseradish and the red bean mash (so simple and tasty!) Looking forward to testing out more recipes :)
    Excellent! I'm generally a 1.5 as well.