too much coconut oil??

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
This one is making the rounds today -- over-consuming coconut oil can lead to MS!!!
The tl;dr is that if you keep to less than 2 tbsp and eat your veggies, you will be fine. Also, you are not a mouse.

http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2015/12/dark-side-coconut-oil-cautionary-tale-coconut-oil-extremists/

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The study deals with SFCAs and LCFAs, while coconut oil is mostly MCFA. The author of the web news article states this too. So his "dosage" of coconut oil and the conclusions he derives from that don't add up.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    The study deals with SFCAs and LCFAs, while coconut oil is mostly MCFA. The author of the web news article states this too. So his "dosage" of coconut oil and the conclusions he derives from that don't add up.

I agree with you.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hm. I have MS, so this could be a problem?
    Though if his conclusions don't add up maybe I'll ignore it.

I actually lost my taste for coconut oil (which really surprised me) just a couple of weeks into keto. I still love coconut butter, shredded coconut and coconut milk though.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I know I've read about studies that pretty much reported the opposite of what he's saying. If I had MS, I would dig into the studies on my own and draw my own conclusions. This sounds like someone that doesn't fully understand what he's reading. And then writing for the sake of writing.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Dr. Wahls, who wrote the Wahls Protocol book about trying to heal MS and other autoimmune disesases through diet (and has MS herself) is a big fan of coconut oil, full-fat coconut milk, etc. I checked to see if she had anything to say about this and it doesn't look like she's reversed those recommendations.
    I got lost in the weeds of that article but based on the OP's tl:dr, I definitely keep it to less than 2 Tbsp/day and try to eat my veggies. (Dr. Wahls also recommends loads of veggies. Like 9 cups a day. And basically a paleo diet. Don't touch my eggs and dairy though. :p )
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

I actually lost my taste for coconut oil (which really surprised me) just a couple of weeks into keto. I still love coconut butter, shredded coconut and coconut milk though.

Of the 4 primary types which one one do you have?
  • macchiatto
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    macchiatto wrote: »

Of the 4 primary types which one one do you have?

Relapsing-remitting (the most common).