The Bad Stuff

Options
kvandeman
kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
Ok my husband says that I have on rose colored glasses and am only seeing the good stuff to come from having the surgery. So hit me with all the "bad stuff" that comes with having a RNY. Please don't hold back. Thanks.

Replies

• annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    For me? The only "bad" would be knowing that I can never "pig out" again. But, that's really not bad is it? I have had NO complications since my RNY on 9/27/12. Only regret is that I ever let myself gain the weight in the first place. There have been far too many "pluses" to even think about any bad. I have never thrown up, never really had dumping syndrome--just a rapid heartbeat after eating too much early on. Other than some constipation (TMI) it's all good. I'm a type I diabetic and my insulin use is down from 155+ a day to about 23 units a day, I am off the CPAP, and all my other meds have either been dc'd or reduced drastically. I can walk (briskly,) can reach my feet again and even polish my toenails! I can clean my own house, move furniture, carry boxes, and I can BREATHE! So, I see ZERO negatives. Would do it again in a heartbeat!
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The bad stuff? If I eat a lot of sugar I get a "drunk" feeling. I still don't handle alcohol consumption well and a 1/2 a cocktail is all it takes for me to be very drunk. I've had 2 episodes since my surgery August 1st where I ate something or too much of something and the pain was undescribable. i wanted to vomit, but did not vomit. In both cases the discomfort lasted 2 hours. Afterward I was exhausted. Mostly from stress. I can't drink any bubbles at all and I'm becomming bored with water. I'm dehydrated most if not all of the time becasue I can' seem to get in all my fluids everyday. Dehydration leads to (among other things) constipation for me. I only "go" about 4 times a week. That bothers me psycologically more than physically. I have quite a bit of skin that is floppy and my vanity is finding that unacceptable, but no-one else seems to notice or if I point it out disgusting as I think it is. Weight loss is still slow and I have to work very hard for it with both meal choices and gym time. likely not getting to my goal weight withing 1 year. That being said I've lost 93.4 lbs from my highest wright adn 86.4 lbs since surgery. I was a size 26/28 at surgery...now I buy size 12/14 dresses and medium tops. I still want to loss about 40 more lbs, which will likely take me another 12 months or so at the rate I'm going. those are my "bad" stuff. And none of it is as bad as I felt pre-surgery.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I see only one negative, that I waited so long to do it. Loose skin is an issue, but tolerable. Today was my birthday, down side is not caring if we eat out, not consuming alcohol, cola or carbonation or not even missing having a birthday cake

62 and NEAVER EVER MORE HEALTHIER OR MORE ALIVE !
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I only wish I had my sleeve done sooner. Loose skin can be a bummer but at least I am healthier and weigh 145 pounds less than I used to!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    NO bad stuff...Only regret is I didn't have it done in my younger years...I am 51 now was 50 when I had my sleeve, best thing I EVER did in my life!!!
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I know deep down that I have to do this. And the hubby is not 100% on board. He wants me to chicken out. I have to do this and I know the consequences and they don't bother me. He hears from coworkers about someone they know that had this done and all the horror stories. He has not actually talked to anyone who has had this done themselves. I thank you all for answering my question and getting rid of the doubts that I didn't have.
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My DIL works in Hosp where all the horror stories end up after weight loss surgery. Make sure of your surgeons reputation and ask him about his problem rate. Problems do happen, but knowing your surgeon is equipped to handle them makes him a better surgeon. Look for a surgeon that works with a bariatric surgery center of excellence. Go to their groups support groups before you sign up. Satisfied, successful patients will give you confidence. I took my spouse with to all meetings and appointments before. I feel it is important to have spouse on board.
  • sadiegirl32
    sadiegirl32 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    At my center, most of the spouses attend support group with their SO and they attend the half day boot camp pre surgery. If your spouse is not on board, I think it will be vey difficult to be successful.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My hubby said repeatedly "whatever you think you need to do" and I took that to mean he would support me in my journey. He has been there but he has been very quiet about many of the things that are important to me. I had some major dehydration problems at first (please be sure you get in all your liquids!) and that was probably when my hubby really decided internally to actually support my goals. Prior to that he wanted to continue to go out to eat and he would try to get me to eat more food at a meal. Afterwards he finally seems to understand that when I say I am full, I really don't want or need any more food. He has been much less prone to fast food, and he is finding ways to indulge his own bad eating habits without making me feel like I am missing out. The best news is that I just spent a week on a work trip that is much like a vacation trip in that they provide the most amazing food. I had decided before going that I was allowing myself to eat whatever sounded good, just in small portions. I walked in the cafeteria, looked at the choices, and found myself drooling over a salad!
    I have found that even with my own complications, ultimately surgery was the right choice for me, and I am so happy with my decision. Even my mom (who actively opposed it originally) is now a very strong supporter and has learned that it is a tool that works in proportion to the amount of effort you put into it.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    The bad news, the first year is a blessing. You lose even if you don't follow directions, but if you don't take that time to learn how you are going to eat and live the rest of your life, you will gain it back. Weigh and measure everything. Use MFP to log everything so that you know you are getting in enough protein. Exercise is something most people don't want to do, but it also is a major part of keeping it off after it is lost.

Why go through surgery and take the chance of dying if you are going to lose it and gain it back? You can do this and keep it off, but don't kid yourself into thinking it's going to be easy.

PS you said you wanted the down and dirty.