Low Carb for PCOS

Options
Anyone out there doing low carb for PCOS?

Replies

• LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am. I believe it has helped me immensely. Before I would be short tempered and hungry alllll the time. I can eat carbs for days and never feel satiated. I was miserable. I actually feel like myself again when I started keto.

As for the hormonal benefits, I haven't developed any more cysts. I am not sure if it's from this diet or from being closely monitored every month (trying to conceive).
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Yep!
    I've done various low carb diets but have been doing keto the past 7 weeks.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There are a number of us. There's quite a bit of crossover between here and the PCOSis group.

For me, I have to do very low carb to even be able to consider losing weight, but doing so gets all my hormones close to normal and keep both the extra hair growth and acne in check.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've never tried Keto, but may have to look into it if others are seeing success on it. I've been gaining and losing the same fee pounds for a couple of months now.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have PCOS and low carb works very well for me.

Edit to say: I'm just getting back into low carb this Jan first after spending 2015 having and nursing our miracle baby.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    BalmyD wrote: »
    I have PCOS and low carb works very well for me.

Edit to say: I'm just getting back into low carb this Jan first after spending 2015 having and nursing our miracle baby.

Congratulations on your little one!
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options

Congratulations on your little one!

Thanks!

• catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm starting low carb for pcos. I'm looking always looking for fellow cysters so do add me, ladies :smile:
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have, or had PCOS for 10 years. Following a big drop in weight and fine tuning my eating habits, my PCOS has pretty much disappeared. My last gyno suggested a low carb diet, but I had been a carboholic for so long I shrugged the advice off. Going low carb or keto in my case has been a life saver. No longer do I fear ending up in the hospital when I have my period (I used to hemorrhage blood and have pain that would make me scream and cry in agony). I haven't had an episode like that in about 2 years and I attribute it to eating healthy and regaining a healthy balance of functionality internally. Feel free to add me if anyone needs any support through their journey :-)
  • karenoconn
    karenoconn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am doing low carb but just started. Have PCOS and doing low carb to avoid side effects of metformin. It's hard to avoid carbs after a lifetime of bad habits though!!
  • catherineh1027
    catherineh1027 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I ended up stopping metformin because the low carb effect combined with the medication made my sugar drop more.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm low-carb, upper threshold of keto levels, and I've had my PCOS, Insulin Resistance, hormone levels, and hypothyroidism tests all show improvements since I've gone low carb (started around this time last year). I highly recommend dropping carbs to pretty much everyone. Even getting down to 150 grams of carbs daily (about half of the standard dietary recommendation) can make huge progress for most folks.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am pre-diabetic.

I decided to cut out the carbs after having an ovary removed due to cysts back in July, and still being unable to maintain a steady weightloss. I've been low carb for about 3 weeks now, but only consistently following keto levels for a week.

Hair growth and acne are better than usual, and TOM has been more normal than it has in the past.

I'm confident that this is the way to go!
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 15 years ago and tried all sorts of birth control and then finally Metformin. Nothing seemed to help and my weight bounced all over. Last month my doctor told me my A1C was 8.8, even on 1500mg of Metformin. Before that, my fasting sugars had always been fine. I'm hoping that cutting my carbs will not only help my A1C, prevent me from having to be put on insulin but also lose weight and possibly get pregnant before I'm 40. So far, so good...my fasting sugars have not gone above 100 since starting low carb!