Bowel movements & all-liquid diet

SaaxySam09
SaaxySam09 Posts: 10 Member
Hello reader,

I am wondering if anyone has had the same experience as me; some butt-talk is ahead, just so you are warned!

I am on day 8 of my all-liquid diet and I am having some issues with running to the bathroom every ~5-15 mins all day. This started yesterday on day 7. I have had a colonoscopy before and it seems as though I am going through that process again. When I went through thay experience my bowel movements became a bright neon yellow/green. That is what I am experiencing now - no laxatives are being consumed.

To be quite honest, with TMI, I think it is burning my skin (bile??) because it burns and stings to where its is a major discomfort to sit and stand...or anything for that matter! I am miserable. I am using vaseline to no prevail.

Anyone have a similar experience? I plan on calling my dietician in the morning but feels as though I am not going to get any errands done tomorrow or even sleep peacefully tonight.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Sorry, I'm no help. My clear liquids diet was 5 days, 3 of which I spent throwing up until I stopped drinking the protein drinks.

I hope the problem clears up for you soon, though.
  • decruisers
    decruisers Posts: 54 Member
    After my surgery. ..the doctor said the loose bowels would be my green light to transition to pureed food - happened on day 7 after the surgery....as far as pre surgery. .my liquid diet was only 7 days...not sure if this helps.

FYI - try buying cottonelle wipes. ..they are really soothing to a very tender body part.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    I'm so sorry you're having issues. Did you introduce anything new to your body during this pre-opt phase, new protein, vitamins, etc? Please give us an update and let us know you're doing well.
  • nilklynn
    nilklynn Posts: 61 Member
    What are you drinking? Mine turned a modified color of whatever I was drinking. It was weird. Witch hazel wipes can help. And I used dr. Something baby butt paste. Helped a bunch.
  • rats2010
    rats2010 Posts: 79 Member
    Unfortunately when you are only putting liquids in, there is nothing to take form on the other end. Also, there is nothing to soak in the bile and stomach acid to help neutralize it.. plus the sheer volume of liquid irritates things on that end. Baby wipes, zinc or A&D ointment and witch hazel wipes are about the best you can hope for.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    More often, people get constipated while on the liquid diet. You are eating so little, and no bulk, that your body will try to squeeze every last bit of nutrition, leaving dense stools.

Loose stool or diarrhea could possibly be a reaction to lactose. Are you using milk in your protein shakes.
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Loose stool or diarrhea could possibly be a reaction to lactose. Are you using milk in your protein shakes.

That's what I was thinking.
  • SaaxySam09
    SaaxySam09 Posts: 10 Member
    Hey everyone! I got busy and was haven't really been on here in a while. A nurse called me back last week and was concerned; 20x/day was not normal! She instructed me to take immodium once per day and use Desitin (diaper cream) and they made a HUGE difference. I was able to spend time away from the bathroom which was excellent! It may have beem a returning IBD bout? Not sure but I was just happy for some relief. Thanks everyone for your help.