Interesting TED talk on benefits of fasting on brain and health - Keytones mentioned

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Is this the same one? I don't do Facebook so it won't let me view it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Interested to check this out later.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Is this the same one? I don't do Facebook so it won't let me view it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8

Yes, that is the link. Thanks for posting. The guy isn't as dynamic as some TED talk speakers are, but the message is interesting and supportive of what many on this forum are implementing in their own lives. I'm planning to try doing some intermittent fasting in the New Year.

I'd be interested to hear what others are doing. What I'm thinking is I will eat a good dinner in the evening and then not eat anything else (except water) until the following evening. I would try to do this once per week. From what the Prof in the TED talk describes, anything longer than 12 hours is considered a "fast." At this stage in my life I can't really see myself wanting to fast for more than 24 hours at a time.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I should also say that when I adopted this LCHF WOE I sort of accidentally fell into a daily routine that provides for some fasting. What I have found is that by eating a large, protein/fat breakfast that I am so full I no longer need to eat lunch. I have been more or less forcing myself to eat a small snack at mid-afternoon, but I might just cut that out altogether and thereby go approx 12 hours between meals. That might be enough time to completely deplete my Glycogen stores between meals.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Interesting! Thanks for posting!

My father and maternal grandfather (so both sides) have Parkinson's. I'm going to send this to all my siblings, too!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    daylitemag wrote: »
    I should also say that when I adopted this LCHF WOE I sort of accidentally fell into a daily routine that provides for some fasting. What I have found is that by eating a large, protein/fat breakfast that I am so full I no longer need to eat lunch. I have been more or less forcing myself to eat a small snack at mid-afternoon, but I might just cut that out altogether and thereby go approx 12 hours between meals. That might be enough time to completely deplete my Glycogen stores between meals.

Just a caveat for anyone without a gallbladder - extended fasts can lead to explosive and uncomfortable bathroom situations, so just be aware of this should you choose to follow the fasting route. Slow and steady to find your best timeframe.