Vrojapu OMAD Fan

vrojapu
vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
Hi Karla, thanks for the instructions on creating this - I am certain arguablysamson had also posted them but I kept missing the boat.

It's now week 3 of semi-OMAD -- I do great for a couple of days every week then backslide, but it's getting easier all the time (to do OMAD, not backslide, I mean)! I would very much like to live the rest of my life the OMAD way.

I haven't lost much weight - I've already confessed why - but everyone I meet remarks on how improved my appearance is (code for waistline). My clothes are fitting way better already, even with the minimal amount of time I've been on OMAD.

So, cheers everyone, and onward and upward!

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Yay @vrojapu! I don't know much about the many different ways of using mfp, but I know how to make a thread, lol! Glad I could help! Your success with OMAD, so far, is awesome. I have used inches lost as my motivation more than the scale (measurements don't lie like the scale does
  • vrojapu
    Thanks again!! I feel ridiculously successful after having been able to start the thread, so I owe you big time!!
  • vrojapu
    Sooooo...I ended being chastised by mfp for having eaten under goal calories - but I wasn't even hungry and didn't realize the calories were under goal. Anywho...I ate more today, but it was split into 3 mini meals instead of one. I'm at 149# now, so there is objective scale progress as well as subjectively feeling so much better than in years. I've started walking - I'm trying to make it a habit. And I actually enjoy it - me!!

I'm practically eating the same stuff everyday, relying on Morningstar and Trader Joe products to keep up protein intake (I'm vegetarian, or at least, I try to be). It hasn't yet gotten boring, but when it does I'll have to look around for alternatives to alternatives lol
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    I am an advocate of a boring diet with limited choices. I think that having too many choices leads to increased food consumption. Boring for me just means repeatedly doing what works, in my case it is eating roast pork loin.
  • vrojapu
    I totally agree, Abm4n! It makes life so.much.easier!!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Abm4n wrote: »
    I am an advocate of a boring diet with limited choices. I think that having too many choices leads to increased food consumption. Boring for me just means repeatedly doing what works, in my case it is eating roast pork loin.

Exactly.

I learned from Tim Ferriss in The 4-Hour Work Week just what you say here; that too many choices usually means no good ability to wield them properly. Indeed, having a one-size-fits-all solution simplifies things, even if it isn't always possible with everything. Just as with possessions, we do better with fewer options and fewer things on our minds.
  • vrojapu
    OMAD is getting easier by the week. The advice on beverages has been very helpful, as has the support.
  • arguablysamson
    Way to go, Vro. It does get easier.

Pretty soon, it will start to stand out to you how much and how often everyone around you eats and why everyone isn't doing what you're doing.
  • vrojapu
    Thanks. Another counterintuitive thing that has helped me is going to the movies for distraction. It kills my hunger because the smell of buttered popcorn always nauseates me. Gone are the days when my friends felt sorry I couldn't enjoy eating when at the movies -- now I feel sorry for them!! :)
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    How is OMAD going for you Vro?
  • arguablysamson
    vrojapu wrote: »
    Thanks. Another counterintuitive thing that has helped me is going to the movies for distraction. It kills my hunger because the smell of buttered popcorn always nauseates me. Gone are the days when my friends felt sorry I couldn't enjoy eating when at the movies -- now I feel sorry for them!! :)

Wow. Buttery movie popcorn has the opposite affect on me. I treat myself to that occasionally.
  • vrojapu
    Kitty, I can do it about 4 days of the week, and the others I add a protein snack in addition, a few hours apart, just to keep myself able to think. Weekends were the hardest because of the close proximity to food at home, but I solved that by going to the movies more frequently (even just reading the phrase buttery movie popcorn makes me gag - sorry, Joe!)

I really, badly wanted to eat just once a day even before I decided to use it as a strategy to lose weight. I guess the simplicity of it was calling me long before I found Joe's posts and realized it is something that not only could be done, but that people actually do in the real world.
  • vrojapu
    It's interesting that I was a bit surprised yesterday evening as I thought to myself of the days when I would wonder what the next meal had to be - I'm not sure I can explain it but it was as though I had left an illness behind.

I used to want to do OMAD because I feel like the body jerks me around - the nose smells a food aroma and wants it, the tongue remembers some taste or texture and wants it, the eyes - well, the eyes are notorious for showing us dreams that remain unfulfilled and there's enough poetry in the world testifying to their lies...so I wanted to get out of its clutches and get free the octopus tentacles of its wants, which is why I longed to do OMAD, but had no clue that it was not only ok to do but so absolutely great!!!

Btw, that is perhaps the longest run-on sentence of my life. Maybe OMAD did this to me, hmmm (getting it all in one time lol)?!
  • arguablysamson
    edited January 2016
    Yes, it is leaving behind an illness.

As a big binger, my brain was always connecting "reasons" to eat. So, for some reason, seeing certain types of Japanese cars made me hungry for the local Asian buffet I frequented (probably because there was an "Asian Auto Repair" shop right down the road). When I got to the buffet, I would proceed to pile up one of eight plates. The first plate would be smothered with some of the greasiest, most sweet-and-sour-sauce-soaked mess you've seen. Or, on other occasions, I'd hear some reference to France on the news and think "French fries!!!! That's what I want!", which usually included venison sausage that took up its own plate. On OMAD, you can't do stuff like that because your thoughts, cravings, and urges can't dictate when you eat, which kills the psychological (and often, purely nonsensical) reasons we eat. Don't feel bad if you had weird reasons to eat. I was king of that! But it feels even better to start a new chapter.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Im really glad to hear your doing so well Vro =)