Cooking for One & Being Active

Options
2»

Replies

• E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Um . am I misunderstanding something? You're going to juice fish?

Hilarious! Thank you, bc I was having a miserable morning until I read your comment. LMAO. Ok, maybe you weren't trying to be funny.

Anyhoo, I had extra soup left over - so I wanted to see if the soup would be a better side dish to fish rather than steak.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    We really like cauliflower but the last head I picked up was $10 !!!!
    No! That can't be. $10 for cauliflower? I have noticed an interesting change in food packaging over the past couple of years. The grocery stores had been trying to keep up with the likes of Costco and Sam's Club by offering larger and larger packages of beef, pork, and everything else a traditional household consumes. Now, I can buy one or two slices of a desert product or 1 slice of pizza, and individual sized portions of ice cream. Here's the latest switch, less meat in the packaging and gigantic packaging of fruits and vegetables - labeled, "for juicing."
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    No! That can't be. $10 for cauliflower? I have noticed an interesting change in food packaging over the past couple of years. The grocery stores had been trying to keep up with the likes of Costco and Sam's Club by offering larger and larger packages of beef, pork, and everything else a traditional household consumes. Now, I can buy one or two slices of a desert product or 1 slice of pizza, and individual sized portions of ice cream. Here's the latest switch, less meat in the packaging and gigantic packaging of fruits and vegetables - labeled, "for juicing."

Yeah. Right now, I'm peeved about the Cuties clementines. Local store has 3lb bags, or 5lb boxes. One of me is not going to eat that many before they go mushy. Need to find something equivalent by the one, or split a bag with friends. Sigh.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    No! That can't be. $10 for cauliflower? I have

Yeah. Right now, I'm peeved about the Cuties clementines. Local store has 3lb bags, or 5lb boxes. One of me is not going to eat that many before they go mushy. Need to find something equivalent by the one, or split a bag with friends. Sigh.

How about juicing the cuties? I still have 1/2 a 3 pound bag and they are slowly getting mushy. So I feel your pain. I bought frozen strawberries, blueberries, mango and a mix of strawberry & banana. I could see how this is going to add up quickly.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge of how to freeze fruits and veggies? I am worried, I am not going to make it through my huge bag of baby kale.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    As a teenager, I used to pick blackberries in season and throw them in baggies in the freezer in order to make cobblers for later in the year. Those were different times, because I am sure that I did not even wash or dry them as we are advised now. The texture of fruits and veggies is going to change considerably because of their water content but they are usually suitable for smoothies or cooking.
    I am not sure what I would do with citrus except to juice it before freezing it.
    This offers some tips that might be more helpful, even if perhaps more elaborate than necessary: http://dish.allrecipes.com/how-to-freeze-fruits-and-vegetables/
    Vacuum pack the items using a bowl of water as shown in this youtube video: "How to seal ziplock bag without vacuum sealing machine."
  • AnnPT77
    Options

How about juicing the cuties? I still have 1/2 a 3 pound bag and they are slowly getting mushy. So I feel your pain. I bought frozen strawberries, blueberries, mango and a mix of strawberry & banana. I could see how this is going to add up quickly.

I don't juice . . . don't have the appliance, and in any case prefer to eat my fruit with all the fiber & such intact, i.e., whole. But I know I'm a weirdo! ;)

Frozen berries and such are great for me - I use them in my oatmeal every day. Many other things are available readily by the one, so I do eat fresh apples, pears, oranges, grapefruit, etc.
    Does anyone have experience/knowledge of how to freeze fruits and veggies? I am worried, I am not going to make it through my huge bag of baby kale.

Most veggies can just be washed, peeled, cut up & frozen, for short storage. Many will be nicer if they freeze quickly, so one can lay them on a cookie sheet in a one-deep layer, and bag them very soon after they freeze. If you want them to keep nicely longer, take the freezer-ready veggies and blanch them (dip in boiling water - you can use a steamer basket or colander to contain them for the dip), then freeze.

Fruits vary more, but lots can go the cookie-sheet route, also. The ones that brown (like apples) can benefit from a dilute lemon-juice dip first. Some (apples, bananas) change texture, and are better post-freezing for smoothies or baking than eating plain.

With something like the kale, I'd either wash & freeze, or cook (lightly) and freeze. Actually, I'd probably consider making a batch of rice or quinoa or something, mixing in the kale to cook a bit, then portion it in individual servings to freeze. It'd make a good quick side-dish, or - with a protein added - main dish.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I don't juice . . . don't have the appliance, and in any case prefer to eat my fruit with all the fiber & such intact, i.e., whole. But I know I'm a weirdo! ;)

Frozen berries and such are great for me - I use them in my oatmeal every day. Many other things are available readily by the one, so I do eat fresh apples, pears, oranges, grapefruit, etc.

Most veggies can just be washed, peeled, cut up & frozen, for short storage. Many will be nicer if they freeze quickly, so one can lay them on a cookie sheet in a one-deep layer, and bag them very soon after they freeze. If you want them to keep nicely longer, take the freezer-ready veggies and blanch them (dip in boiling water - you can use a steamer basket or colander to contain them for the dip), then freeze.

Fruits vary more, but lots can go the cookie-sheet route, also. The ones that brown (like apples) can benefit from a dilute lemon-juice dip first. Some (apples, bananas) change texture, and are better post-freezing for smoothies or baking than eating plain.

With something like the kale, I'd either wash & freeze, or cook (lightly) and freeze. Actually, I'd probably consider making a batch of rice or quinoa or something, mixing in the kale to cook a bit, then portion it in individual servings to freeze. It'd make a good quick side-dish, or - with a protein added - main dish.

Ann, thanks so much for sharing this. I also cook for one. That might be pretty good--the kale and quinoa....never thought of that before. I think I definitely need to be cooking up something and putting it in serving sizes in the freezer. How nice it would be to grab a pre-cooked meal thing out of the freezer. (I've generally been freezing meal food in gallon size freezer bags because it fit in there.)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »

Ann, thanks so much for sharing this. I also cook for one. That might be pretty good--the kale and quinoa....never thought of that before. I think I definitely need to be cooking up something and putting it in serving sizes in the freezer. How nice it would be to grab a pre-cooked meal thing out of the freezer. (I've generally been freezing meal food in gallon size freezer bags because it fit in there.)

It's a little pricey, but I bought a number of 2-cup glass bowls with tight snap-on lids (Anchor or Pyrex are two brands). I freeze portions in those, then can pop them in the microwave to reheat (I don't like microwaving foods in plastic, but that's perhaps just individual weirdness). The bowls come in various sizes, if 2C doesn't sound right.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Excellent idea for the 2 cup glass bowls. I recently purchased a staggered sized Pyrex set with lids at Walmart. I like them because they fit inside each other. I needed a large salad bowl and the 4 cup bowl is really nice for mixing the dressing and ingredients for a single serving of salad.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, quinoa freezes great.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I had a bag of Cuties slip under the seat on the way home from the grocery store....and found them the next morning frozen solid. Can't afford to lose an entire bag of fruit, so dropped them into my own freezer. I cut them in half and scooped out the flesh semi-frozen to eat like sherbert, used them in smoothies and squeezed juice into fruit salads. All much better than tossing them in the trash.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    smart girl!
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    nice!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oh my! What a great way to deal with frozen fruit.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    So, I'm looking thru my Vitamix cookbook. Most of the recipes are single serve, but then I found recipes for pancakes, crepes, and cornbread. Can I freeze the remaining pancake or crepe batter? If I make all of them, I will eat all of them. Even pre-made frozen waffles don't last very long and they taste like cardboard. Part of me thinks go ahead and make it and dump the batter I don't need. After all, it is not like I am throwing away prime rib.

Also, I have been seeing very small loaf pans and wonder how I can use them - among other small round oven/broiler proof bakeware. In the meantime, I guess I will look for a cooking for one cookbook on Amazon.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I think you can freeze those batters.