Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

MCT oil

Fin1965
Fin1965 Posts: 19 Member
Hi, a dear relative has bought me some of this oil as a Christmas present knowing I was doing this woe. I don't know that much about it but now that I have a bottle, would like to use it! I'm battling the doctor at the mo as my cholesterol levels are high so I'm cooling it a bit by not overdosing on cream, butter etc, just using olive oil really. Just wondered if I use it in the same way as I would olive oil and if it's had any more benefits than other fats, either way, I want to use it rather than it just being in the back of the cupboard!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Check out the posts titled "Too much coconut oil" and "Improved brain function on Keto", I went into some detail about MCT oil in both of those discussions.
    But, definitely use it! Ditch the olive oil and break out the MCT! :smile:
    Do you know which brand you have? In my shopping around, I've found some are better than others. The concentrations vary widely as well as the sources they get the fatty acids from.
    Very few brands provide any information about the concentrations. Here's the lable on mine.
    u8fadp2eaujt.jpg
    Notice that it lists how much lauric, capric and caprylic acid there is. Many don't have any info at all. And not all MCT oils even contain all of the acids. I prefer to have at least these 3, though this is just a personal preference based on the fact that I use a small amount a day compared to many and I am interested in the caprylic acid benefits specifically so I wanted an MCT oil where they were more highly concentrated as compared to just coconut oil.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,069 Member
    I am a fan of MCT oil, but also a bigger fan of butter and cream as healthy choices of fat. There are many people here more knowledgeable about the science behind saturated fat, however, I believe that eating saturated fat is a healthy thing to do, and that there is little scientific evidence to prove that eating cholesterol rich foods produces high levels of cholesterol in the blood.

I used to enjoy BPC made with both MCT oil and butter. It made the coffee creamy and delicious and gave me a huge burst of energy.