Heartburn?

Options
2»

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've made it through today without any heartburn, but have had an upper tummy ache, off and on, today (I do still have an ulcer in there too that's in the process of healing) that reminds me of the ulcer pain. I'm sticking with no medicines again today. Btw: I've been tested for H. pylori via endoscopy and it's always negative. I almost wish that an antibiotic would fix it! I'm sure this adjustment will be a process of discomfort and healing too! Thank you @Dragonwolf! Please, don't ever apologize for delayed responses! Anytime is fine, and means the world to me too!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/09/05/why-you-should-get-off-prescription-acid-reducing-drugs-asap.aspx.

He recommends not stopping PPIs (Protonix, Prilosec...) abruptly because of the rebound of symptoms. I have had worsening of the tummy pain today. I went ahead and took my Protonix, and will wean myself off, while taking the supplements.

This is the first "link" I have ever posted on a thread! I think I may finally be learning somethings (fingers crossed that it works!)!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Drinking too much water during/after a meal can also cause bile and fats to float, creating a type of heartburn.'

Also, adding lemon and/or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to your water can help some people too. My guy gets stuck in the heartburn loop, and lemonade is his go to first step! LOL

@Karlottap - Sauerkraut is the cabbage - as the other person said, Kombucha is tea... There are a ton of fermented foods available, so if you don't like one thing, try another.

Fermented foods and probiotics tend to help with gut health...

For me, bile salts did not help, but that was mostly before low carb. I'd love to know if they might help now, so @Karlottap - looking forward to more updates!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I stopped my Prilosec pretty abruptly after I'd been on keto for a month or so and had no problems. I'd tried doing that pre-keto and did have a bad rebound so I was pleasantly surprised.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I'm still working on getting off this darn stuff! What I have done so far:
    Drinking acv anytime I feel heartburn (was daily and is now about every third day).
    Stretching the Protonix dose (I've managed 4 days, but average is 3 in between doses). The tummy pain associated with this is hard once it kicks back in. Hence, the 3-4 day dosing. I base it on when the pain starts.
    Kombucha, meh. I haven't consumed anything carbonated, for years (personal preference, and then being a weight loss surgery patient too). I didn't think of fermented being similar to this. I tried it and I felt like I was swollen inside, even with sipping. I was unable to eat enough food too, later in the day, after drinking about a half cup. It did change the bathroom results though! I'll just say that things were much more effective! :wink: May try it again, one shot at a time, and see if that makes a difference! :smiley:
    I am taking a gastric enzyme supplement too that I began when I started this process.

I can feel a change, for the better, taking place, but man, once that pain hits its time for the next dose. It's not easy to allow yourself to hurt when the fix for it isn't far away!

I will make it off of this junk! Btw: this seems harder than it was to wean myself from daily Dilaudid three years ago! I'm serious! This hurts when it starts, but luckily it goes away within 15 minutes of taking the Protonix. What isn't fun is being at work when it starts hurting, and not having the medicine with me (not happening again)!

Hugs all!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You listed your macro backwards, btw. Shoot for 20/20/60. 20% carbs, 20% protein, 60% fats. All be fine. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I'm still working on getting off this darn stuff! What I have done so far:
    Drinking acv anytime I feel heartburn (was daily and is now about every third day).
    Stretching the Protonix dose (I've managed 4 days, but average is 3 in between doses). The tummy pain associated with this is hard once it kicks back in. Hence, the 3-4 day dosing. I base it on when the pain starts.
    Kombucha, meh. I haven't consumed anything carbonated, for years (personal preference, and then being a weight loss surgery patient too). I didn't think of fermented being similar to this. I tried it and I felt like I was swollen inside, even with sipping. I was unable to eat enough food too, later in the day, after drinking about a half cup. It did change the bathroom results though! I'll just say that things were much more effective! :wink: May try it again, one shot at a time, and see if that makes a difference! :smiley:
    I am taking a gastric enzyme supplement too that I began when I started this process.

I can feel a change, for the better, taking place, but man, once that pain hits its time for the next dose. It's not easy to allow yourself to hurt when the fix for it isn't far away!

I will make it off of this junk! Btw: this seems harder than it was to wean myself from daily Dilaudid three years ago! I'm serious! This hurts when it starts, but luckily it goes away within 15 minutes of taking the Protonix. What isn't fun is being at work when it starts hurting, and not having the medicine with me (not happening again)!

Hugs all!

Kombucha should be started in 2 oz increments. Doing a 1 oz shot, sipped, should start to help, particularly considering previous surgeries and such that lead to difficulty processing things. I have found that the carbonation in kombucha does not affect me anywhere near the same way as other carbonated drinks.

If you decide to keep with it, you can actually brew your own and stop before it gets fully fizzy. It's all about timing. Another thing would be that once you've started a bottle and released the pressure, shake it each time before opening the bottle to release some of the fizz and such. The benefits are in the contents, not the fizz, so you can make it as flat as you like.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thanks Carley!
  • pedroepaz
    pedroepaz Posts: 19 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I was on protonix for 5 years, I got off of it after reading that long term it causes severe magnesium deficiencies. Even my Gastroenterologist didn't know that (what a surprise). Are you taking any digestive enzymes? The ticket for me was Now foods super enzymes. It took a good week of heartburn coming back and I kept at bay with Dcl and sodium bicarbonate all while taking enzymes with every meal. After a week, it's been 3 years since I've had heartburn.
    Apple cider vinegar prior to meals also helps as well.
    https://youtu.be/3oeetGmVg_g
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi @pedropaz, if you are addressing me, yes I am taking the exact brand of gastric enzymes that I began when I started this process. I'm using the acv for actual heartburn with great results there. It's just the tummy pain that comes in between the weaning dose of Protonix (I've been on some form of acid reducer/proton pump inhibitor for 24 years) that is the worst part right now. I will make it though! I'm determined to be healthy all the way around! Interesting video! I have learned from some great people here that cabbage can be beneficial for ulcers too (the video mentioned coleslaw)! Thank you for posting and for your recommendations!
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Every time I have to back into ketosis I have horrible heart burn for about 2 weeks. I'm suspecting it's just because my body hasn't caught up to making enough acid to digest the different food. (as dragonwolf suggests) When I go out of ketosis it's generally for a week or two on purpose.

I will also have bouts of it if I change my diet in big ways (too many pork rinds, chicken skin, dairy etc).

When this happens, if it's super intolerable, I will take zantac because the heartburn will also trigger asthma (which then is hard to get under control again) but I will also drink ACV "tea" in the evenings.

I use a big mug, boil water and add a tsp to a tbsp of apple cider vinegar. This is more of a management strategy for the two week period. It doesn't completely get rid of it, but makes it manageable until my body adjusts. :)
  • pedroepaz
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Hi @pedropaz, if you are addressing me, yes I am taking the exact brand of gastric enzymes that I began when I started this process. I'm using the acv for actual heartburn with great results there. It's just the tummy pain that comes in between the weaning dose of Protonix (I've been on some form of acid reducer/proton pump inhibitor for 24 years) that is the worst part right now. I will make it though! I'm determined to be healthy all the way around! Interesting video! I have learned from some great people here that cabbage can be beneficial for ulcers too (the video mentioned coleslaw)! Thank you for posting and for your recommendations!

I remember once I decided to give up protonix for good, I read that it would be 2 weeks of agonizing rebound reflux. Boy was it hard not going and taking a pill for relief. But just as the posts I had read, after that period it just got way better quick. I know exactly what you mean. I hate that it's so hard to give up, I was told I would have to take it for the rest of my life. But I am proof that it can be done, just stay determined and you'll no longer have to rely on the meds
  • pedroepaz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh I feel you on that @gsp90x that's why I've literally just stopped getting out of ketosis lol. As long as I'm very strict and avoid all artificial sweeteners and excess protein intake. I swear digestion is so effortless, no symptoms of any upset whatsoever. Lchf is a godsend, what makes it so unbelievable is that some days I'll consume 220 grams of fat and digest it with no problem (I still take essential enzymes). When taking an acid reducer it was the opposite, fat was impossible to digest due to the lack of acid needed to digest it.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you @pedroepaz! It good to know that this does eventually pass! I'm working it!! :smiley:
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I take prilosec daily. I wonder if acv would help me. I did take some today after I got horrid burning gas pains in my intestines, that rarely happens but when it does I'm curled up in bed with a heating pad all night. After the acv on warm water it took an hour or so and I felt fine. Maybe I should try it for my reflux, I get inflammation in my esophagus from the reflux though, not really like a heart burn feeling, I didn't even realize that's what was causing it till an allergist couldn't find any other reason for my throat swelling after eating.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    The video that @pedroepaz posted made a lot of sense! I believed I learned more about the cause from it, than what I learned in nursing school. I'm, it's the opposite of what we've always been told! Sound like that's something you've heard before? Really, everything we have learned has been wrong! It's no wonder we are so unhealthy!!
  • pedroepaz
    Options
    @Karlottap omg is that the truth, I sat there and told my gastro doc I wanted to stop taking protonix to avoid the magnesium depletion. He was like "I'm not aware of any magnesium depletion". I pulled all the info up on my phone and told him since he had been taking protonix himself for over 15 years, he should seriously look into stopping it himself. He was like oh wow, I have to consider that. We live in a world of misinformation for corporate profits. The medical industry and their protocols are a profit based industry. Many doctors are paid off by big pharma.