Please Introduce Yourself...

Options
rbluyz4
rbluyz4 Posts: 35 Member
Hey! I'm about to celebrate my 50th birthday, have an awesome family, two jobs that I love, a fun life...and I have RRMS. I know I feel SO much better when I eat right, do yoga and exercise. I have lost 20 pounds and have another 15 to go. From this group I am hoping to get a kick in the a** when I need it and a thumbs up when I deserve it. I am offering the same support to all group members. I'm not into sugar coating my words so if you want to truth... stick around. [/b[
I'm off to pick up a Fitbit HR today and will share my ID details with the group.
Bring on 2016! B)

Replies

• EauRouge1
    EauRouge1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I'm 34, I have two kids and a puppy so I'm pretty busy. I'm on Mirtazapine for anxiety (I'm hoping to come off it by summer 2016). It has made me constantly hungry and so I have put on enough weight to make my jeans uncomfortably tight. I would like to lose 10lbs minimum, 15lbs would be ideal. No more than that though because then my jeans would be too big :lol: My main motivation is that I really, really hate clothes shopping!

I'm planning to cut out bread, pasta and rice and stick to good carbs like chickpeas, lentils etc. I don't eat meat so I need to make sure I get enough protein from something that isn't cheese (my weakness).

I don't have a fitbit because I seem to kill anything with a microchip in quite quickly. I use my phone (cheaper to replace!) to track my running and circuit training. The apps are Runkeeper, Sworkit and Fitness Against Friends.

Have a great birthday :)
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    Hi EauRouge1
    Thanks for joining....and thanks for the birthday wish...Feb 26th is the big day, I'm pumped to reach a bunch of goals by then.
    Are you into mini goals? Is yes, would you like to share your newest one?
  • EauRouge1
    Options
    Sure, I will join the mini challenge! I'm not sure how to post on the mini challenge bit. My aim for the first week is to stick to my calorie goal (1200 a day) and to do at least 10 mins on my core strength every day. I'm cutting out a lot of processed carbs so I'm hoping that sticking to my calorie goal won't be too hard. I tend to slip in the late afternoon so I might need to post on here for back up!
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    You want back up...you've got it! :) That time between lunch and dinner it tough. It seems SO long. Personally I try to snack on a piece of fruit and some almonds and drink water. That tides me over until dinner. What's your favourite snack at that time of day?
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    Cool...look what I found (assuming this works)
    96982312.png
  • EauRouge1
    Options
    I tend to snack on salty, crunchy stuff. I'm experiment with roast chickpeas so that I don't eat loads of crisps or salted nuts. Or cheese!

• rbluyz4
    Options
    I love roasted chickpeas. Do you make your own? I tried once, but it was a disaster. Costco in Canada use to sell them...very salty though and high in carbs. Now when Im on my game I cut up celery into small pieces. Then I get the salty and crunchy when I have that craving... and my willpower is such that I don't break open a bag of Chicago Mix.
    Are you managing to stick to your 1200 cal. plan over New Years? Myself, I knew it would be a struggle, so Jan 1st I'll get back to the cal restrictions. Mine is 1600 with high protein, good fats, low card. This MFP helps with that so much.
    I'm going into 2016 half way to my goal. I lost about 6 pounds before I found MFP then 14 more with MFP. I have 20 to go and am feeling really positive about getting there. I know I have my challenges though. How about you? How's your mindset? What do you thing your challenges with be?
  • EauRouge1
    Options
    My mindset is pretty positive! I used to be a lot healthier and I was at my goal weight last summer. So I know my goals are realistic, because I've done it before.

Yesterday I did manage to stick to my 1200, if only because I was out with the kids and the dog at the park so I was exercising and not within easy reach of the fridge. I snack a lot when I'm at home. I think that will be my biggest challenge, and the 4pm crash although I'm hoping low carb will help with that.

I made up a couple of batches of meals yesterday that both clock in low carb and low calorie, and they were delicious! Happy to share the recipes if you want. I don't eat meat so I used meat alternatives, but there's no reason why you couldn't use meat.

How about you, where do you need willpower the most?

Are you in Canada? My husband is from Winnipeg but we live in the UK (for now!).
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    Yes, I'm in Canada. I'm in Northern Ontario. I was in Scotland this past summer. I so love it there.
    My biggest issue I think is getting complacent. I've been at this since Aug. I was doing amazingly well but then I got comfortable and let a life situation ( dog had major leg surgery) knock me off my game. I quick going to the gym...my biggest challenge...and was let careful with my eating. I pretty much maintained over a 6 week span though. However I got stiff and sore. I know I have to eat well and get physical to feel well. I need to not make excuses and stick with the plan.
    And then came the holidays! Actually Im not feeling to badly about the outcome. I've been off work for two weeks - 1 sick, 1 vacation. Not much activity, lots of visiting and more drinks and food then usual. I could have ade better choices... but no regrets. Today's a new day. :wink:

Yes, If you can share recipes, that would be fantastic. Because of the MS I see a Naturopath and she shares great food ideas that I will pass on as well. She shared a granola recipe that I have with plain greek yogurt...OMG it's like having desert for breakfast. As for no meat recipes, I don't eat tofu (it's inflammatory so I stay clear) but I love veggie recipes, so yes please. When I'm doing what I should, I eat very clean. No processed sugars or packaged food...basically "hunter/gatherer".

Do you take any supplements such as D3 or omegas? I have a small mitt full that I take every morning. Nothing weird, but I do find that with everything else in place the total package it great.
    Jeez, knowing how good I feel when I follow "the plan" I don't understand why I would want to live outside of it for more then a day.

To answer your question... the long way around :blush: I guess getting to the gym and sticking with it is my biggest challenge. Being accountable to someone helps a lot!!

You said you made some dinners ahead of time. Good thinking. I believe that planning helps so much. What if you do the same thing for witching hour snacks? Maybe cut up veggies and hummus or grapes/berries with cheese or almonds and a small apple or pear? I've learned to eat if I'm hunger...but make the food count. If you're going to have a carb (fruit) have protein with it...oh and water...lots of water! 2 litres per day. Advice I too will follow. :smile:

What sort of fitness do you take part in? Me; 1.5 hours of yoga/palates on Mondays, the gym (rowing/elliptical) Mondays,Wednesdays,Fridays. For mental health I do pottery twice weekly...and LOVE it!

What has been your biggest success in terms of life style change for your fitness/wellness to date? Have you stuck to it? If not, what's your plan for getting it back?
    Mine; I gave up ice cream. That sounds small, but trust me when I say it's HUGE. I use to plow through a 2-3 cup serving without a though...3 or 4 times a week. I cut it out completely. My biggest hurdle this Christmas was to stay clear of the Candy Cane Chocolate Crackle Ice Cream. I consumed 2 ( 1cup) small bowls and that was it. Last Christmas I'd have eaten 5 containers of it over the holidays.That's it, no more until Christmas 2016. :smiley: I'm pretty proud of that.

Happy Happy New Year to you EauRouge1. One step, one meal, one day at a time, this is going to be fun!
  • EauRouge1
    Options
    You're right, it's great to have a new start. :)

I'm not even sure how tofu is made! Is it from beans? I use Quorn which is a meat replacement. It's made of mycoprotein which is derived from mushrooms. It's pretty heavily processed I guess, so you might want to replace with meat. I used cans of beans but you could use dried if you prefer.

This is what I made last night, it was quite mild but you could add more harissa if you wanted:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/164823147818045

And here is my lunch. I used quorn sausages but you could use diced pork instead, it's pretty low in calories.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/235192030424317

This morning I had a low-calorie take on the traditional Full English Breakfast. My husband thinks it is WRONG to have beans for breakfast, I guess it's a truly English thing. But then we don't put maple syrup on bacon here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/270367686708285

I find it much easier to batch cook than to use half an onion or half a can of something and then it ends up going off in the fridge because I don't need it. My freezer is pretty well organised at the moment but give it a few months and there'll be mummified leftovers at the back!

Exercise-wise I am working on my core strength because it is really weak. I do 10 mins each morning crunches etc. I use an app called Sworkit, it syncs with MFP so the calories are automatically added. I also walk the dog, although not very far yet because she is only 6 months. I'm hoping to manage a total of 26 miles a week when she's fully grown. I love walking and we are lucky to live in some beautiful countryside. I also run, but not very far or very fast!

Candy Cane Chocolate Crackle ice cream?! You must have willpower of steel to resist that!
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    Willpower of steel...I hope so!
  • anh11389
    anh11389 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Alex. I'm 26, recently diagnosed with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Since finding out about this about six months ago, my depression has worsened, along with eating my feelings! I live in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Have put on about 25 pounds in the last couple of years and looking to lose that.
  • EauRouge1
    Options
    Hi Alex, nice to meet you :) Good luck! I know what you mean about emotional eating, it's really hard to stop.
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    Hi Alex. Happy New Year and thanks for joining us.
    Getting a Dx is a scary thing and unfortunatly not something we can control. The way we choose to badly it is entirely up to us though. I believe we deserve a chance to grieve and get made at out bodies for letting us down....but then...
    The great news is we do have control of so many other areas of our lives. How we dress, who we spend time with, what we believe and on and on.
    Time for a perspective check. Knowing that Lupus is here to stay how do you want to feel on a day to day basis? What can you do to move forward? What makes you feel better? ...really feel better - not what soothes you...makes you feel better!
    When I was Dx with MS I allowed myself a grieving period and then I decided to take control of what I could. At that time it was getting educated about MS. ( I believe facts are friendly) Then I decided to do a check list of what I wanted to accomplish in my life. For me one thing was returning to school to finish my degree...I did it an graduate with honours. I wanted to travel...I've been to Cuba 2x ( going back in March) Ireland, Scotland, New Hampshire and going to Boston on June.

I took the plunge and chose the meds I'd need to take to hopefully slow my illness.(daily needles- I hate needles!!) ...and then gained 30lbs! :s Trust me when I say there have been many bad days, relapses, tears, fears and anger. I've learned to let the feeling in...allow them a bit of time, but then give them an eviction notice. I will NOT allow those thoughts/feeling to live rent free in my heart or head!!! ...but that's just me. ;)

I had to switch meds 5 months ago and decided it was a great chance to reinvent myself. I considered what I needed to do to improve my psychological, physical and emotional wellness. It took a bit of time to make a plan and I realized I couldn't do it alone, so I reached out to where I knew I had support and moved forward. Had I chosen to sit and mull over my situation I'd have missed out on SO much. For me, this is not a dress rehearsal. Yes, I've been handed a rather large life long hurdle, but for as long as I possibly can I am going to live my life to the fullest! I'm down 20 pounds, I found my "Zen", I am proud and I am happy!
    :) If you decided that this is something you want to do, then count me in as a member of your Support Team!! :)e3ssb75do8rv.jpeg
  • slhalvorson1
    slhalvorson1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Greetings everyone, my first time joining any sort of "group"... thought I would give it a try. I have RRMS, and have had a rough 2 years! Two years ago in April I finished P90X, and my 6th century MS ride, and I felt AMAZING, then I had a major relapse, and have not been able to recover! I am pumped up with IV steroids and IVIG every 3 weeks, and have put on quite a bit of weight since then! Weight loss is not my primary goal, as I am realistic about the steroids. However, I do need to get myself moving again, increase my strength and endurance, as I am hoping to test for my black belt at the end of this year (is a physically grueling test).

I joined this group because "we" (people with chronic illness) do not fit the standard template, and need to find alternative ways to stay motivated while life throws us constant curve balls!

Shannon
  • EauRouge1
    Options
    Hi Shannon, welcome to the group :) I agree that we don't fit the standard template. Sometimes just getting through the day wears me out. Yesterday afternoon I ran out of spoons and had to force myself to eat dinner when I really just wanted to go to bed. I am on quite a low calorie goal anyway so I can't afford to miss meals.

Going for your black belt sounds exciting! Which martial art is it? Sorry, I am clueless about martial arts!
  • slhalvorson1
    slhalvorson1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is pretty funny that you had to force yourself to eat because you ran out of spoons! I can relate! I study Kwan Gek Do, which is a blend of Tae Kwon Do and Muay Thai kickboxing, I started taking karate, snowboarding, playing golf, cycling and learning cello after I was diagnosed with MS. So, there was some good that came out of the disease!

Good luck with your spoons!
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    Hi Shannon and welcome. Sorry it took me so long to responde. I'm still trying to get my butt in gear after a couple of weeks of at Christmas.
    It's the one upside to getting a Dx. Realizing that we don't have forever to do what's on our bucket list. Good for you! My son's been in Tae Kwon Do since he was 8. He took a break for a couple of years but will be going back for his Black Belt this coming summer. Yup, it's a hell of a workout!!
    I'm off to read up on your goals and plans. Have a fantastic day!!!
    Oh, speaking of Cello...have you heard of 2 Cellos? I suggest YouTube them if you haven't. :o
    Tess
  • rbluyz4
    Options
    EauRouge1, I love the spoons metaphor. I'll find and post the full one. Thanks for the reminder.
  • EauRouge1
    Options
    This is a good article on spoon theory, I think it might be the original one- http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I'm autistic so I have limited spoons. For me, just having a conversation can use up a spoon or three, depending on who I'm talking to and how hard it is to pretend I'm interested in what they're saying :D