Hoka (look like little Boat Shoes)

Options
Merrysix
Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
Does anyone else with knee arthritis use Hoka shoes? They are very light, but have a lot of special foam in the mid foot, and are "rockers".

At my trainers suggestion I bought a pair, and I was able to run 4 miles on my 62 birthday and no knee pain! then I ran 3 miles on Christmas, and hiked 6 miles on Sun. after Christmas. This is a like a miracle. After the hike I felt some knee pain, but not bad compared to what it used to be. I'm excited for these new shoes.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    They're not really designed for hiking, they're maximal running shoes. If you use them for both hiking and running you won't get the life out of them.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Your're right -- not designed for hiking -- but now Hokas makes hiking shoes and I just bought a pair and wore for a very steep 6 mile hike on Sunday. They were fantastic. Now I can wear my running Hokas for running and hike in the other pair. They are both very light -- the running Hokas weigh only 9 oz. I am very excited about the improvement in my knees given that my arthritis is pretty bad in my left knee. These shoes on top of all the squats and lunges and other knee ligament/muscle strengthening exercises I have been doing (and of course losing weight) is making a huge difference. .
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love my Hokas; saved my knees too. Worth every damn dollar!