2016 Swimming Goals

Options
NoelFigart1
NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
It's that time of year. Whether it's to shave .01 seconds off your 100, or simply to enjoy yourself when swimming, got an idea of what you want to accomplish swimming in 2016?

Here's mine:
  • Swim six miles in Lake Memphremagog this June.
  • Swim from Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park this August.
  • Complete at least 150 miles swum this year.
  • Stop blowing off practice! Can't afford it because of the first two items on the list.

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Still thinking about my specific goals. First one must be to avoid letting my shoulder/elbow issues from last year becoming a chronic injury. So I'm reluctant to set specific distance or time goals as I did last year, but I do not want to give up on the idea of swimming a 10k (6.2 miles). My injury surfaced last year after swimming 5 miles continuous on Memorial Day.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think my goals will be:
    New Zealand Masters Games 1-3 February.
    North Islands in May.
    Long Course Nationals in September.
    Australasian Police and Emergency Services Games in October.

And hoping for at least one gold at the national events.

But mainly to love swimming (currently struggling with this and starting to prefer running!)
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Get back to swimming a mile+ 3 - 4 times a week. Totaling at least 5 miles a week.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    When I was young I used to play waterpolo and have started swimming recently after a 16 years gap! :smile: I currently swim 300 ms. (12x 25ms swimming pool) five times a week. My goal is to be able to swim at least 500ms. before the summer.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Hard for me to set a reasonable goal because I have no idea how much effing China time I'll have to serve.
    Minus China crud I could set a goal of 900 miles and know I would hit it.
    So maybe I'll assume 600 miles instead. :D No competitions.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    First goal: Two miles without resting/stretching.
    Then improve efficiency to get 3000 yards in under an hour.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Believe my goal will be for 25 miles for 2016
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    First goal: Two miles without resting/stretching.
    Then improve efficiency to get 3000 yards in under an hour.
    Very achievable goal. Good luck.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Goal for first half of the year is to participate at the 2016 European Masters at the London Acquatics Center at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. We'll see how that goes and then decide on other goals
  • aliciamariaq
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Oh by the way, not that I have any illusions of even placing in any event, my times just barely qualify. I just think it is super cool to go and the venue is awesome. Check it out! http://londonaquaticscentre.org/
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Goal for first half of the year is to participate at the 2016 European Masters at the London Acquatics Center at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. We'll see how that goes and then decide on other goals

I was going to those until they put in the rule that you had to be under a European club for 12 months before the event. Which they disclosed eleven months before the event. I know a lot of international swimmers are angry about that!
  • aliciamariaq
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »

I was going to those until they put in the rule that you had to be under a European club for 12 months before the event. Which they disclosed eleven months before the event. I know a lot of international swimmers are angry about that!

Darn! I will have to check with my coach about that... I might not be able to go after all.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I had planned to do a 15km swim by end of 2015. Health issues postponed that attempt, so that is now one of my goals for 2016.
    The other is to do a 2.5km in 45 min (fastest I've ever done was 51 min, so it'll be tough but it doesn't hurt to try).
    If I manage that, then try a 5 km in 1:30-1:40. Doesn't hurt to dream :smile:
    I also hope to try and get it one long run a week this year. I think it'll strength my lower body strength (I don't do swim drills that much) and hope that will also help with my swim times!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for a USMS stroke clinic at the end of this month. I hope to get enough pointers to improve both my back and breast strokes this year, as they are abysmal.

I also plan to become certified as an ALTS (Adult Learn to Swim) Coach in March.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    My goals are to get my 500 time under 7 minutes, (my best when I was "in my prime" was 6:15), and to swim 2 miles non-stop.
    My triathalon friends threw out the idea of my doing the swim leg of a relay tri, but I don't own a wet suit and have never open-water swam before, so I'm not sure if that's in the cards this year, but it would be fun to try!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My goals are similar to last year - 1) manage to swim 1-200m non-stop fly (25m is the current limit and then I need a long break 2) swim 365 miles - one for every day of the year (failed last year due to cracked sternum) and c) swim 5km in under 1 hour 40 mins (which is my current fastest time).
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Still pondering.. Probably to complete last year's ....(!). - but that is ok