3 months in a cast. Losing my gains. :(

Options
Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
Hello, ladies. I broke my wrist back in September and have been in a short arm cast ever since. I can manage most day-to-day responsibilities, but I cannot hold on to a barbell or dumbbell with that hand. I also cannot eat at a deficit as my body needs the calories to heal (the first 6 weeks I kept cutting and it barely healed AT ALL!). As a result, I am gaining fat and losing my lovely muscle. :( I can still do body weight squats and low planks, really any lower body exercise that doesn't require weights, but I can't do my Stronglifts or any other program that puts pressure on my wrist. Can any of you suggest something I can do to keep the flab away? My body is changing before my eyes and I can't seem to stop it!

Replies

• NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I injured my wrist (although not as severe as yours, mine was just out of action for a month) and found ways to get round it. I used it as an opportunity to really hammer my legs and abs/core, as that was all I could really do! My legs did get hell of a lot stronger during this period xD

For legs (as I couldn't hold a weight or a barbell) I put on a 15kg weighted vest and did step ups, squats etc... and that really kills. Ankle weights too to give a bit of resistance to movements as well as your normal bodyweight squat movements. I did a lot of things to failure which left my legs sore for days, continued to build leg muscle and could even do things I couldn't before my wrist injury (e.g. high explosive single leg box jumps where I didn't faceplant or fall over not so elegantly)
    I also headed down to my local park and did high intensity interval sprints (100m) which is another great way to hold onto as much muscle as you can! I assume you can still do cardio (stairmaster, cycling etc..)? Legs are one of the biggest muscles, you have the opportunity to build them up. I think doing all of this is what helped me to stave off any weight gain but my injury doesn't sound half as bad as yours. I was only out of action fully for one month with subsequent months a very slow introduction back to the weights until I was certain it wou;dn't get worse again.

Some muscle loss is bound to happen, which is unavoidable but don't stress about it, give your wrist time to heal and you'll soon recover any bits of strength later on once you're recovered.

Keep on with your daily protein allowance, eat what you need to fuel your body to heal, cardio to keep things in check, if you gain a bit of flab, it won't be there forever. It'll soon shift once your back to normal.
    Hope you're wrist gets better soon! Injuries really suck.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Thanks @NicolaMichelle93 I was waiting for someone to reply too. I broke my finger last week, so am not able to lift dumbbells. It's not major, hopefully it should heal in 6 weeks, but until then, will work on my core and legs.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Thanks. I have been keeping up with my cardio. I have a treadmill and I use it regularly. I also ride horses, which helps with the legs quite a bit. I can do step-ups, but I don't have a weighted vest. Maybe I should look in to getting one. Are the weights adjustable? The biggest issue is that I can't really challenge myself. At the time I hurt myself I was doing step ups with 40 pounds in each hand. Squats were up to 165, deadlifts at 195. It's about impossible to reach those numbers when you can't hold a weight.

Diet is a huge issue. I could lower my calories, but I'm not sure where is a safe range. I've only put on about 5 pounds, but the change is visible. My shoulders are narrower, my booty less perky, and my tummy has lost its definition.It's very frustrating. At my age (almost 42) it's very challenging to get in to shape. Losing it is just... ugh!!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    Diet is essential to good health. Protein is essential. Very hard to gain fat if you don't eat sugars and processed foods. It is not necessary to overeat to heal.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    I must respectfully disagree. All that is needed to gain fat is a caloric surplus. In fact, when I was overweight I was living in the middle of nowhere, surviving on from-scratch home cooking. It did not stop me from gaining 30+ pounds. I still consume plenty of protein, but I kind of have to eat more processed foods right now. It is my dominant arm that is injured and cooking is very difficult. In some cases it proved downright dangerous. If you've never splashed hot egg on your collarbone, I don't recommend it.

Of course it is not necessary to overeat to heal, but it is necessary to eat over maintenance. Finding the right amount is difficult. No one can give me an actual number of calories to consume, so I having to settle for trial and error. At first I was eating too little. Then it was too much. Now I have cut back again.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I broke a bone in my hand in a car accident this year, and was in a cast for about 3 months as well. While I did lose some upper body gains, I made damn sure my lower body stayed on point.

The Smith Machine, though I desperately hate using it, was the only way I could squat/lunge/etc, so I did a ton of that, along with every bodyweight exercise I could think of.

It'll go by sooner than you think, and you'll be back in the swing of your routine, don't sweat it too much! <3
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Thanks! I've been eyeballing the Smith machine, but I've always been so opposed to using it. It is hard to let go of that prejudice! Last night I did some squats with light hand weights and then did a one minute plank (would have done more, but my cat was "helping"). My next appointment is on the 18th, so maybe I will be released to do more.
  • fanncy0626
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I must respectfully disagree. All that is needed to gain fat is a caloric surplus. In fact, when I was overweight I was living in the middle of nowhere, surviving on from-scratch home cooking. It did not stop me from gaining 30+ pounds. I still consume plenty of protein, but I kind of have to eat more processed foods right now. It is my dominant arm that is injured and cooking is very difficult. In some cases it proved downright dangerous. If you've never splashed hot egg on your collarbone, I don't recommend it.

Of course it is not necessary to overeat to heal, but it is necessary to eat over maintenance. Finding the right amount is difficult. No one can give me an actual number of calories to consume, so I having to settle for trial and error. At first I was eating too little. Then it was too much. Now I have cut back again.

I have been researching information on healing and I still would suggest eating at maintenance and as healthy and clean as you can. Try not to worry about it. We will support you even if you gain a few pounds. Monitor your weight daily, weigh your food, drink water watch funny shows. You are not going to regain fat! We are here for you! I would still exercise what you can, when you can. There is a 66 year old lady on another thread that fell on the ice broke her wrist, messed up her elbow is on pain pills 3 days later she's back doing yoga the best she can, riding her stationary bike and asking the Dr when she can ride horse again. (((Hugs))) I hope you feel better soon!
  • ChocFiend
    ChocFiend Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm in a cast also although leg, my next appt is 18th also keeping fingers crossed for both of us
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    ChocFiend wrote: »
    I'm in a cast also although leg, my next appt is 18th also keeping fingers crossed for both of us

Fingers crossed for you! You have my sympathy. It would be much harder in a leg cast. At least I can still do cardio. I even returned to my pole dance class last night (although I was hardly able to do anything). Today I'm feeling it!
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you're not already, take vitamin D (D3) supplementation. It's a big help with any type of physical healing and particularly helps with bones.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Thanks. I have been taking vitamin D3 and calcium supplements. It's looking better, but not quite healed. I'm now in a brace instead of a cast. Next appointment in three weeks.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been out since November, just recently going back. I had a really bad ankle sprain that it would of been easier of I broke it instead!

You'll be surprised how little you lose with time out, it's not like with cardio when being out means you auto suck when you get back. My upperbody only lost a little (crutches gainz). My legs lost some, but I'm already ramping up well. I found my form got better as I forgot all my bad habits and I had downtime to restudy form. I got some lifting shoes which helps with my now lack of ankle flexibility, probably figure you'll have a supportive wrist strap on for awhile too.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For broken bone I'd get lots of bone broth, if you can do it get cod liver oil its full of natural fish oil and D that help bones heal. Maybe a calcium mag or get you calories to stay at maintenance level from foods high in those.

I think it would suck but "knock on wood" I have never broken a bone. Can you do a weighted vest or something while squatting.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Just checking to see how you are doing!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Thanks for checking on me.

Well, I tried doing squats on the Smith machine yesterday. It didn't go well. Posture was awkward and it really didn't work the same muscles. It was worth a try, though. My next appointment is Monday. I've been working the joint quite a bit and have regained some range of motion, but full recovery may take a while. I'm just waiting to get cleared to work out again. I don't even mind the pain, but I want to make sure I'm not causing further injury.

My weight has stabilized, so I think I found my "new maintenance" for now. Also, I can cook again now that the cast is off. That's helping quite a bit!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing well! I am so glad to hear that. You might just want to do unweighted squats for a while. Being able to cook and eat healthy and staying at maintenance is quite an achievement! Let us know if you need anything.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    I have been cleared to return to my usual activities. Slowly, of course. :)

Now back to cutting calories... <sigh> ;)
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    I have been cleared to return to my usual activities. Slowly, of course. :)

Now back to cutting calories... <sigh> ;)

Yay! So glad to hear that.