Night shift crew.

Options
13»

Replies

• SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    @sappho123 @Karlottap I use the Watkins brand of extract.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Soosannahk!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    SoosannahK wrote: »
    @SoosannahK - that is great to hear from another person who is post chole. I feel like my brain is being rewired and inputting a whole source of new information that goes against what I've been taught. I'm going to keep trucking forward with this because I feel great. I've already lost five pounds since starting, although I know that will slow down over the next coming weeks. I feel less bloated and my energy is better, even with working night shift the last two nights. I've bought some recipe books and a spiral slicer, and I'm reading several different recipe blogs, as well. I'm really excited about this change and I'm looking forward to all of the new recipes and progress I'll be making. :smile: You all are awsome, btw! I love the group support!

Yay on -5lbs! The only time that I have found I have any digestive issues is when I have eaten too many leafy greens, whether it be it be collards, lettuce or cabbage. The fat never seems to bother me, so I say keep on keeping on.

So this one really got my attention. I've had all manner of hellish misery since maybe October-ish with greens. I haven't had issues with cooked cabbage, but any other lettuce (iceburg, romaine, spinach) seems to give me massive upset. I've had soup with kale in it, but that was long before October, that didn't trigger. Is this a normal gallbladderless issue???? It would explain so much. But why would that trigger so late???

I had my gallbladder out in 2000. Fats only bother me if I'm being a carb junkie. Otherwise, fats don't get me at all. And my weird sensitivities to carbs come only in my insulin reaction sensitivities... I know it sounds inconsiderate, but honestly, I wish i had some of the misery in general with carbs. If I were tortured, perhaps they would lure me to the dark side a little less.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I didn't know that there was such a thing as caramel extract! I've used stevia, but don't care for the taste, maybe the extract would make the difference! Sometimes I do want something different. I gave up sodas about twenty years ago, and am glad I did! I've always strived for better health! Even when I ate the "healthy", and "good for you" breakfast cereals I thought I was being good! Man, how misguided I was! Lol!

@Karlottap Sweet Leaf brand Stevia (one of the non-GMO, non-added crap, best tasting ones, listed as safe on cleanse diets and such) has all kinds of different "extract with Stevia" in one bottle flavors. You can get them on amazon.com and other places! Definitely on my wish list.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    No one's working nights these days I guess ;) With all the random new threads we end up on page 16 if we don't post continually, lol.
    Here to bump!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,570 Member
    Options
    I work 7p-7a (so really about 6:35p-7:15a or whenever the work is done) 3 nights a week and my solution is to not eat at work. I drink water and black coffee. I am an RN working in a hospital so when I went through orientation I wisely did NOT set up my employe badge to be swipeable at the cafeteria or grill/Starbucks.

I figure, if I wasn't working nights, I wouldn't be eating between about 7 or 8 pm and 11am anyway, so why change?
  • canadjineh
    Options
    When do you eat then, @nicsflyingcircus ? Just curious, as most people eat at some point during their 'workday,' otherwise there is very little time in which to eat, since sleep takes up a fair bit of the remaining hours.
    Lol, I certainly wouldn't set up a swipe at Starbucks either! Yikes, supercaloric 'goodies' & drinks (and disgusting coffee in my opinion... :s )
    If I don't have a small meal at some point in my shift, I get HANGRY and become a scary patrol car driver and it makes it harder to keep my cool. But I make sure I'm not eating for a few hours before I get home, because I go to bed right away to sleep. That way I figure it's like a regular day job schedule - 'finish dinner by 8pm, go to bed at 11pm.' Kinda gives my body a chance to rest and rebuild instead of digest.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    When do you eat then, @nicsflyingcircus ? Just curious, as most people eat at some point during their 'workday,' otherwise there is very little time in which to eat, since sleep takes up a fair bit of the remaining hours.
    Lol, I certainly wouldn't set up a swipe at Starbucks either! Yikes, supercaloric 'goodies' & drinks (and disgusting coffee in my opinion... :s )
    If I don't have a small meal at some point in my shift, I get HANGRY and become a scary patrol car driver and it makes it harder to keep my cool. But I make sure I'm not eating for a few hours before I get home, because I go to bed right away to sleep. That way I figure it's like a regular day job schedule - 'finish dinner by 8pm, go to bed at 11pm.' Kinda gives my body a chance to rest and rebuild instead of digest.

If working consecutive shifts I sleep til about 2:45-3pm, wake up, have a coffee w/cream and maybe a snack, then a good sized (700-800 cal) dinner around 5pm. I then drink coffee w/ cream on my way in to work.

If I am not working consecutives, I sleep until about 1-1:30 after getting off in the morning and have a good sized lunch and a good sized dinner later. Work days are under my (already restricted) calories while off days go over some. It balances out and I really am just not that hungry at work (during the night).

Now, I haven't been working nights long, so it may change in time.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    That may change once you've been on nights for a while as your body gets used to the idea that this is a productive awake time; right now you are not eating while asleep, and also not eating when your body thinks it should be asleep. Lucky you if you can keep up the intermittent fasting. Others feel it's very helpful in their WOE. I could never handle it except that all my life I was never a breakfast person and had difficulty (puked often) eating before 9:30 am or so. That made it hard while in school since I had to be up at 6:15 to get ready & catch the bus. Now at least they've figured out there is a legitimate biological reason high school students need to start later in the morning.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    That may change once you've been on nights for a while as your body gets used to the idea that this is a productive awake time; right now you are not eating while asleep, and also not eating when your body thinks it should be asleep. Lucky you if you can keep up the intermittent fasting. Others feel it's very helpful in their WOE. I could never handle it except that all my life I was never a breakfast person and had difficulty (puked often) eating before 9:30 am or so. That made it hard while in school since I had to be up at 6:15 to get ready & catch the bus. Now at least they've figured out there is a legitimate biological reason high school students need to start later in the morning.

I did intermittent fasting long before night shift. Ate between about 11am and 7pm, pretty much. If I end up adapting and eating during the night, that's fine too.