January 2016 Goals: Start it off with a bang!

Options
2»

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    So many goals. I'll do the monthly ones first as I'm still figuring out plans for the year. This month is focused on a few things.

1. Write 100+ words a day on YA novel.
    2. Drink around 80 oz of water a day.
    3. Get caught up on contest and things ready to get back in action.
    4. Track food on a consistent basis and use food scale more often.
    5. Keep lifting on PHUL and jog 1-2 times a week (+ add one new lift for obstacle prep).
    6. Get new shoes for running and gym.
    7. Instagram challenge (pictures and hashtags)
    8. Post 4 blog entries, at least one in DE and 2 in F&F.
    9. Send in 5 job applications (not retail).

Progress made so far on a couple of the goals.
    1. Pretty good so far. I missed 1 day but have a couple of days where I wrote 200 or more.
    2. In progress though I don't exactly measure. Use my Myprotein water bottle around house plus at work and a tall "smart water" one that is 33.8 oz for gym
    3. Sent out some stuff today for rounds that didn't have enough entries.
    4. Doing better. Used the food scale for cereal today. Need to use it more still.
    5. Easy one. ;-)
    6. Not yet. Maybe on my next days off.
    7. Doing well so far though sparkle was a bit of a stretch today topic wise. Posting and using the hashtags required each day. Learning my way with commenting and responding too.
    8. One up so far on F&F. Finally signed in on third blog, hadn't in months. Considering 2 potential posts to make in the next week.
    9. No progress so far. Haven't heard back on 2 reference requests.

Off to an okay start.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So many goals. I'll do the monthly ones first as I'm still figuring out plans for the year. This month is focused on a few things.

5. Keep lifting on PHUL and jog 1-2 times a week (+ add one new lift for obstacle prep).

@DawnEmbers Sounds like a few writers are in this group! I'm working on a MG novel myself, a co-writing project with a friend. I also have a couple on the back burners. How far along are you on yours? Good job setting that word count goal. I need to do that too. :)

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what are DE and F&F blogs?
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    @DawnEmbers Sounds like a few writers are in this group! I'm working on a MG novel myself, a co-writing project with a friend. I also have a couple on the back burners. How far along are you on yours? Good job setting that word count goal. I need to do that too. :)

On the one I'm getting 100 words a day, I have over 40,000 done so far. I wrote 33,000 in November for National Novel Writing Month. I probably have at least 20,000 to go if not 30,000. And the DE and F&F are just ways to references the blog names. F&F is Fiction and Fitness while DE stands for Dawn Embers. Both are on blogger and are about writing, though F&F is more personal stuff along with fitness/health while DE is more about the craft of writing.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    oops. wrong thread.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I have a few projects I tend to work on at intervals, but my "baby" so to speak has been waiting for me to finish editing/rewriting/changing things for ever so it will have most of my focus from now on. It's a scifi/ya and I have been working on it since I was in college 11-12 years ago xD. The plan down the line is to make it a trilogy with a prequel (which I have so many ideas for already), if I can just finish this first book and get it out to the public somewhat! lol

I'm just never happy.

I did work on a different project during NaNoWriMo last november which is now up to a whooping 150k+ words (a raw, unedited mess). But that is basically all I wrote last year, so it makes me a bit sad.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    I have a few projects I tend to work on at intervals, but my "baby" so to speak has been waiting for me to finish editing/rewriting/changing things for ever so it will have most of my focus from now on. It's a scifi/ya and I have been working on it since I was in college 11-12 years ago xD. The plan down the line is to make it a trilogy with a prequel (which I have so many ideas for already), if I can just finish this first book and get it out to the public somewhat! lol

I'm just never happy.

I did work on a different project during NaNoWriMo last november which is now up to a whooping 150k+ words (a raw, unedited mess). But that is basically all I wrote last year, so it makes me a bit sad.

Editing is a whole different challenge. I have one that I keep saying I'll send queries out to agents after finishing this last edit and I haven't made progress. (Started writing the first draft back in 2007.) I have two versions of the query letter, done most of the final edit with some tweaks possible but when is there ever nothing that could be changed? I need to check and see if the ones on my list are open yet for inquiry.

I also have several other projects going including the 180k YA fantasy that needs rewritten into two novels as that's without much worldbuilding or description. I didn't write much in 2015. Got distracted by this health kick, which was good for me but still want to revamp the writing and actually work towards publication.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Update time plus don't want to forget the goals for this month by not having the post visible on a more regular basis...

1. Decent. Not every single day but most of the time I get at least 100 words on the novel and I'm hoping to finish chapter 16 soon. About half way at this point in that one and still a little time tonight to write before bed (already at 100 for today but going to keep going).
    2. For the most part. Had a couple of not quite there days. Also drinking tea at night often right now and totally counting it (I don't add sugar or anything).
    3. A little bit of progress though now I'm lacking judges for future rounds.
    4. Haven't used it much. Some, but not much. It's a step in the right direction at least. Will work on that more along with the food prep.
    5. Easy one. ;-) Tried doing jump squats with an aerobic step, so need to do that again.
    6. Yep. 2 running and 1 pair for lifting. Super success.
    7. Still going strong. Today was green and not gym day so did green makeup. Tomorrow is supposed to be progress, so that should be easy.
    8. Two posts total so far. One on DE and one on F&F.
    9. No progress so far. Haven't heard back on 2 reference requests and two of the jobs I wanted to send in are no longer open. Need to work on this more and make some decisions.

Not bad, though still plenty to work on for the rest of the month. Adding week prep to the food list, though it's a slow progress. Would help if I didn't work on my day off but that's a different post ramble. Either way, making progress and have plans for the rest of the month to keep going.

Hope everyone else is doing well and having a good month.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Ok, so having to rethink my January goals - I am supposed to be off on a ski holiday next week and had worked everything around that, but we have had to change our week until later in the season, which has thrown me somewhat!!

So....

Gym:
    - lift consistently 3 times a week.
    - start and finish stage 3 of NRoL4W
    - don't worry about increasing weight (due to ongoing back urggghhh) but concentrate on maintaining and improving form
    - increase cardio slightly....simply because I want to not because I need to
    - don't make excuses
    - improve number of assisted pull ups

Work:
    - get myself more organised so that I can take the extra time off to ski at the end of the tax year, which is normally my busiest time, and the least appropriate time for me to be out of the office!

Life:
    - work out a new household budget
    - make meal plans from the oodles of food items we have in the freezer and cupboards, keeping spending to a minimum
    - declutter at least one draw or cupboard in the house.
    - keep my nails manicured and establish a skin care routine.

Update! - Gym
    - yup, getting to the gym and lifting is never a chore
    - nope - decided to concentrate on SL/ICF which I fear I would have had to put aside if I concentrated on stage 3 NRoL4W.
    - yup - am spinning on Monday mornings before work and enjoying it.
    - fairly sure I'm ok with this one.
    - have done a couple of rubbishy negatives to add to this challenge.

Work:
    - think I'm doing ok. Had my half year 1:1 on Friday which was all ticketyboo.

Life:
    - budget well and truly done. Waiting for payday now on Friday to start implementing it properly.
    - meal planning and using up existing food is going well. We're eating very nicely!
    - nope. No decluttering done, although hubby has cleared and decorated son's room for his return in April.
    - skincare- less hit and miss than previously. Also using more handcream and nails are not bad. Also trying to get feet a bit nicer as they get so ignored and dry.

Am on track - just got to keep it going!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Lose at least 2 lbs this month -> 145
    Focus on eating 40/30/30 macro split especially protein
    OHP increase to 60 lbs.
    Work on form for other lifts
    Kettlebell increase weight to 30 lbs for mid month second round of 5 week program
    Swim 2xweek

Midmonth check in

I did lose 3.8 pounds but that was part of what I gained over the holidays. To get down to 145 I have 4.2 pounds to lose. I am working hard to do that.
    I have change my macro split to 20 carbs, 30 protein, and 50 fat. I am following the, Become a Fat Burning Machine Diet.
    OHP I have been successful in increasing it to 60 pounds for three sets.
    My form on the other lifts are good. I have even increase the weight by 2 pounds squats and sumo squats. And I have worked backed up to 150 on the DL.
    For the kettle bell I have not been able to purchase a 30 pound kettle bell. Instead I have been increasing my reps. Hopefully I can find a 30 pound kettle bell this weekend.
    I have not been able to go swimming I have lost my swimming partners. They are always making excuses. The swimming is done at a hotel and I do not have the urge to go by myself. Maybe I can talk my sister-in-law to go this Thursday.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to finish up (almost) 2 cycles of Smolov JR by the end of January with a recovery week in there (I am currently at the end of my first cycle)
    By the end of January I should be squatting 135lbs for heavy triples and benching 105 lbs (also heavy triples)
    Continue logging accurately for my TDEE calculations and enjoy my last month of maintenance before switching back to a cut.

I have decided to just go straight to wendlers, no second smolov JR right now. I think I will still hit my heavy triple goals (on my 1 week amrap set)

Tracking has been on pointe since my last binge (new years at my mom's) even managed a hockey tournament and a couple of work lunches. Starting to get ready for a cut by dropping to just below maintenance for the next week and then between 250 and 500 kcal deficit for the next 2 months.
  • BethAnnieT
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Writers -- @DawnEmbers and @krokador and any others -- just putting this out there, when you get your manuscripts finished (see how I said "when" :) ) let me know if you need a beta reader.

Also, feel free to come over here and make me write my own #*&%.

ETA: @DawnEmbers when you have your query ready, and if you're on Twitter, check out #PitMad (PitchMadness). It's a twitter pitch party and a lot of fun. I got a couple of requests from agents last year after participating in it, and each agent came back afterward with some great feedback and suggestions on my manuscript.

Sorry I went off the rails here and this has nothing to do with fitness. So... um... let's go lift some weights.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Wow that went fast. We are almost done with January. Quick update:

1. Have missed a few days but also had some good ones. I've done over 200 so far today and plan to just finish the current chapter before going to the gym.
    2. Started off stronger but have slacked lately. Had way more coffee so far today but will drink up water before and at gym to help even it out. Need to get back to trying to drink enough water.
    3. Contest is back in action but I'm way behind in reviews and none of my judges are taking rounds. Need to either get some others to help or find someone to take over for me cause I can't run it and do all of the work.
    4. For the most part tracking but have off days, like today. Oops.
    5. Easy one, woot.
    6. Already accomplished.
    7. Almost done with the challenge. Not sure what to post for tomorrow's #hump_day but we'll see. Maybe food or something.
    8. Still on two so need to get two more put together.
    9. None submitted. Started fixing up resume and went no where from there. Le sigh.

No progress on query for novel either. I've had a couple of beta readers but struggling to make the fixes in the novel suggested. The query is going to be a hit or miss but I just want to get something out and take that step, so probably won't be asking for test readers at this point on that one. I do have other novels I need to work on though. So much to do and yet, spend far too much time on forums...
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to finish up (almost) 2 cycles of Smolov JR by the end of January with a recovery week in there (I am currently at the end of my first cycle)
    By the end of January I should be squatting 135lbs for heavy triples and benching 105 lbs (also heavy triples)
    Continue logging accurately for my TDEE calculations and enjoy my last month of maintenance before switching back to a cut.

I have decided to just go straight to wendlers, no second smolov JR right now. I think I will still hit my heavy triple goals (on my 1 week amrap set)

Tracking has been on pointe since my last binge (new years at my mom's) even managed a hockey tournament and a couple of work lunches. Starting to get ready for a cut by dropping to just below maintenance for the next week and then between 250 and 500 kcal deficit for the next 2 months.

I got my squat triple goal (in fact I blew that out of the water with triples of 145 and a double at 165) Ground out my bench triple at 105 lbs.

Data acquisition has continued and I have started my cut. I figure that I should be at goal weight by the end of April if I stick to my deficit and do not accidently eat my children... I have one cheat meal planned for February and the dream of it keeps me going!
  • christch
    christch Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    christch wrote: »
    My goals:
    1 increase bench,DL and front squat by another 5kg
    2 drop another couple of %bf
    3 decide whether I'm going to stay with what I'm doing or go with PHUL.

So I managed to increase Bench to 2x2 40kg though I got that last night and its Feb BUT have had an increase in rep range and sets even if not in weight.
    Front Squats increase in depth but not weight.
    Deads stalling as been working at 15reps.
    2. No idea where that's at - seen a slight increase in body weight about 1 kg -eating at maintenance so either water weight may even be a wee bit of muscle
    3. Trainer has me working at hypertrophy 15 reps at moment though some nights I throw in some heavier power reps before or after hyper work. I know he's got me working at hypertrophy because i want to develop muscle and he doesn't want me lifting too heavy without spotter. Just as well were in different gyms. I've got a session booked with him in the next couple of weeks so I'll talk to him about that then.

So overall same old stuff- lots of volume and some heavy stuff
  • DawnEmbers
    Options

Okay, final results.
    1. ish, most of the month but not the last couple of days. Finished a chapter and haven't figured out how to start the next one.
    2. good except the end
    3. Back in action, emailing people to get judges, not done reviewing at all.
    4. not so great, but going to continue working in Feb
    5. yep
    6. yep
    7. yep
    8. nope, 2 posts, so better than none
    9. not even

So, an okay month. I did a lot of work and lifting, so that's good. Will have to get them goals figured out for February and get busy.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Gym:
    - lift consistently 3 times a week.
    - start and finish stage 3 of NRoL4W
    - don't worry about increasing weight (due to ongoing back urggghhh) but concentrate on maintaining and improving form
    - increase cardio slightly....simply because I want to not because I need to
    - don't make excuses
    - improve number of assisted pull ups

Work:
    - get myself more organised so that I can take the extra time off to ski at the end of the tax year, which is normally my busiest time, and the least appropriate time for me to be out of the office!

Life:
    - work out a new household budget
    - make meal plans from the oodles of food items we have in the freezer and cupboards, keeping spending to a minimum
    - declutter at least one draw or cupboard in the house.
    - keep my nails manicured and establish a skin care routine.

Hmmm....partial success.

Gym:
    Yup, easy. Loving it still.
    Nope - decided to concentrate on SL and add in ICF extras and some kettlebells.
    This one's good - increased weight on all lifts to new bests. Form is alright I think.
    Have added in a spinning session once a week and quite enjoying it.
    Don't think I have made any excuses during the month. don't need to, I've enjoyed it.
    can now do 3/4 of a pull up on my own, and 5 negatives (crappy ones, but still.....)

Work:
    Yup, getting there.

Life:
    Budget done
    meal plans and food spending going according to plan.
    No decluttering at all done.
    Nails could be better and routine is hit and miss, but I think more hit than it was previously!

• BethAnnieT
    edited February 2016
    Options
    January goals:

1. Do SL5x5 three times per week. most weeks is only 2x :(
    1a. Get back up to the weight I was doing before the holidays. I am there, yep
    2. Do plank 2 times every day in January, starting at 30 seconds Jan 1 and add 1 second per day. No I totally forget. I need to set a reminder on my phone
    3. Jog at least once per week. YES!
    4. Drink 5 bottles of water per day. YES!
    5. Play volleyball 2x per week. YES!
    6. Eat consciously... meaning, no Mindless eating, or I'm Bored eating, or This Popcorn Is Right Here I Better Eat It Before It Eats Me eating. Eh, pretty much, like 80% success.
    7. No candy in January. I slipped 2 times. Not horrible.
    8. Walk during my work day, at least 3 times, at least 10 minutes each. Ugh, 50% success. The weather is too craptastic.
    9. Limit going out to eat to 2x per week. (down from our usual 4-5) I think we are at 2-3 for most of Jan.
    10. Fiscal Fast in January -- no spending that is not absolutely mission-critical. I do this every January. Was pretty on-point until we had to buy a new bed. It was NOT cheap. But I'm hoping it will help my back, sleep, energy, etc. But we waited until the very end of Jan!

One bonus thing I did for my health was see my dr. and request bloodwork to check my thyroid (I'm hypo), iron, vitamins, etc. I have been SO TIRED all of Jan and just want to cover all the bases. Of course this could easily be from working out 7x per week and/or SAD etc. but might as well check everything.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    - stop hunching left shoulder. better. starting to forget it again though now rib has settled
    - sleep on back at least part of every night. better.
    - planks planks planks planks. meh.

lifting: didn't have any number goals here.

do 5x5 front squats every workout, even if with light weights. no
    do 5x5 rows every workout, even if with light weights. somewhat

core engagement/bracing thing inconclusive right now