Jump Start January challenge...

Options
MsMarlaJean
MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
Figured I would go ahead and start another monthly challenge since they help me so much...

what are your goals for January?

I'm going to keep working on my annual intentions, but for January I want to stay on top of my workout minutes so I'm going for 1500 minutes.

For the 1st & 2nd I have 190/1500 so far

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    to lose the 14lbs my scales say i gained (hope a lot of that is water!)
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Really 14? Yeah, some of that has to be water from salty food. It will come off!

I'm back again. Trying to heal up a busted ankle. (moving furniture in my nice church dress and shoes was a terrible idea) But I found some stretches and strenghtening rehab type exercises for it. It's 80% recovered, I think.

I'm shifting my goals to not falling off the wagon and going to the gym twice a week. Planet Fitness just came to town. It's really close to my house. I think I'm gonna join this week. Also, working off the weight I gained over Christmas and New Years would also be great. (5.8lbs!) Long term ambitious goal? Losing back fat so it doesn't poof out over the top of my nice new wedding dress. >__<;

Good luck everyone!
  • samlovesthesnow
    samlovesthesnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Great idea to set goals for the month! Mine are:
    1. Walk at least 20 minutes each day
    2. Work out 4x per week
    3. Reduce to below 140lbs (142 today) then stay there for the month!

Wedding is 4 weeks on Saturday so I'm feel extra motivated this month!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're so close! Those goals are pretty achievable. You can do it!
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Thank you Marla Jean! I pretty much checked out over break. I was too frightened to weigh myself this morning. I weighed last night with PJs on and figure I'm up about 10-12lbs. Like Jools, hoping a good portion is water retention, but I ate really poorly over the holiday and really didn't work out after 1 day early. I need to get my head straight to what I really want and what will motivate me and keep me on track. I have big weekend events coming up about once a month from here to the wedding, which is also going to be challenging.

Setting goal for 1200 minutes exercise this month and cut back soda (even diet) to 3 cans a week. May allow myself a reprieve for a work party this weekend for a few cocktails, but also that I need to drink 2 glasses of water for every adult beverage.

Goals sound totally achievable. Let's do this!
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Hope you don't mind if I stay in the group now that I'm a Mrs, and all :wink:
    So I had the most perfect wedding ever! I felt great, love the pictures I've seen so far, and I woke up the morning of my wedding at my goal weight...125 on the dot! That was a great feeling. I took the days since the wedding off and ate to my heart's content! So nice to eat whatever without worrying about fitting into my dress after a year of watching my weight.

I can't let myself go now just because I'm married, so my goal for January is to be at 125 on the day I leave for our honeymoon cruise (Jan 22). I joined a little facebook challenge with some of my friends and am going to avoid junk for 21 days (no cookies, cakes, etc., which should be ok since i def got my fill this weekend!), so that should help :)

Hope everyone's year is off to a great start! xoxo
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    We can do it guys! I always find January the hardest! The gym trainer who I have paid for some food diary help and exercise advice this month (extra accountability) wants me to eat 157g of pritein a day, I'm struggling with that, but have eaten under calories and exercised today, back on the healthy horse. Eating whatever I wanted was fun though!

I think we'll let you stay MRS! Must've felt so good knowing you met your goal. I now have just under 5 months to get to my goal :)
  • brisingr86
    Options
    Jill, so glad you're staying with us!
    Jools, that is a HUGE amount of protein. Good luck! Has the trainer made recommendations other than guzzling protein shakes? I agree the eating whatever was fun, but can't go on forever. :/

I'm off to an good start. 60 minutes Monday and Tuesday so 120/1200 minutes. No soda since Monday except for a quick swig of Coke when I pulled out a bottle to heat my steak in. May not be going to work party since I found out my fiance has a work conflict and don't really want to go by myself; I'm a little disappointed, but definitely would be better for the waistline.

I reset my profile to MFP default rather than the custom I've been using and doing pretty well staying under calories and logging. Still a few snacks that probably have gone unlogged, but seems like at least the first 5 lbs of gain from the break are probably gone (still up about 9 from where I was before the holidays :( ) . I'll do a real weigh-in tomorrow morning.
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    @CostaRica120 I Love that you want to still participate in the group! so glad your wedding day was perfect for you! Your pictures are lovely, and it shows how great you felt!

@fitfor30th Wow that is a lot of protein, but I would imagine once you get into the swing of it it will become easier...although I'm curious like @brisingr86 did your trainer give you some suggestions?

@brisingr86 way to get off to a good start! I did too and then tripped! Just haven't wanted to get up the last few mornings although I did workout last night at cardio boxing which I :heart: !

I'm at 240/1500 for the month!
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    Hi there, yes he has given a menu guide, but basically advocates clean eating and hit type exercises with kettle bells. He always does the best classes in the gym so I trust his judgement.

I'm managing it with eggs, prawns, turkey slices, chicken, bean sprouts and peanut butter, and trying to stay under 1500 calls, although he hasn't given a calorie target this week. And one protein bar a day, they are my one flaw but I can't give them up, I love the chocolatey hit :). I've lost 4 of the Christmas 14 so far since Monday so not bad.
  • brisingr86
    Options
    OK. Facing the music: last weigh in of 2015 was December 17 at 154.8
    Week 1, January 7: 162.0 +7.2 over the holidays.

Base goal is to be under 159 by January 28 (avg 1 lb/week loss). Aggressive goal is to be back under 155 by the end of the month.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Yay goalsetting! I've gotten into the habit of only focusing on my monthly goals, and it has really helped.

This January, my goals are to walk/jog 85 miles (deliberate exercise - can't just be walking around at work), take 217,000 steps (an average of 7k per day), and lose 8 pounds. Here's my progress so far:

♦ 17.46/85 exercise miles walked/ran
    ♦ 67,936/217,000 steps taken
    ♦ 1.4/8 pounds lost
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    Last Thursday (my wedding day) I weighed exactly 125.0. Today I weigh 133.8. YEP! SO MUCH EATING. I needed a bit of a break, so I am ok with it, but now it's time to get back down so I feel great when we head on our honeymoon in 3 weeks.
    Diary is open again. Today is my husband's (!!!) bday so we are going out for dinner but we chose a seafood restaurant where I should be able to get something pretty healthy.

Let's stay consistent and work towards our goals, ladies. By the end of the month we should all be feeling great!
  • CostaRica120
    Options
    brisingr86 wrote: »
    OK. Facing the music: last weigh in of 2015 was December 17 at 154.8
    Week 1, January 7: 162.0 +7.2 over the holidays.

Base goal is to be under 159 by January 28 (avg 1 lb/week loss). Aggressive goal is to be back under 155 by the end of the month.

At least your damage took more than a week haha! At least some is still gonna be water weight, so I'm sure after a few days of eating well and lots of water we'll both be feeling better!
  • clairice2
    clairice2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Goals for January:
    Log everything!
    Have approximately 3500 net calories under weekly goal every week. (Lose 1 pound per week).
    Get my measurements re-taken (its been a while).

Exercise:
    Gym/ Class time 2 times per week.
    Walk/Jog 3 times per week.
    Badminton 2 times per week.

• Fitforevermore
    Options
    I'm down 6 of the 14 xmas pounds, feeling good! 8 more to go. Glugging cans of tuna and prawns right now trying to get the protein up and the calories down!
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    Woo-hoo loving all the positive optimism for our monthly goals!

WTG @fitfor30th 6lbs down is amazing! Same to you @xxghost nice loss!

I managed a 70 minute workout this morning-YAY ME! I have a Cardio Boxing class tonight too, but for now...

310/1500
  • MsMarlaJean
    Options
    Cardio Boxing last night and Elliptical this morning! Have an Elite Fit 30 class tonight and then will be leaving for Vegas tomorrow morning so I'll only commit to 20 minute Jump rope sessions for the next few days even though I'm sure we'll be getting in a TON of walking!

425/1500
  • brisingr86
    Options
    OK. Off to a good start and then fell apart end of the week.

Checking in at 150/1200. Better kick it up over the next few weeks, not sure I can still make my goal, but I can try.

Glad to know I'm not the only one fighting to undo holiday damage. Looks like everyone has some great goals for the month and positive attitudes, which is great! Hopefully we can hang on to those through the month.
  • Fitforevermore
    Options
    Sw 170 :neutral:
    W1 163 :)

Biggest thing I've learned here, there's a lot of water weight, all is not lost!