Newbie to group - Restarting LCHF after long hiatus

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new to the group but not new to LCHF. I've followed a Paleo diet in the past with great success. Somehow I fell off the wagon and a few years later I have gained nearly 100lbs and my body is sick. I've let myself develop not only a food problem but a drinking problem. I'm more than ready for a change. I'm tired of feeling sick and tired. I need to stop drinking for myself, my family and my career. I keep letting the "I'll start tomorrow " mentality take control. Even now my mind and body are telling me to just wait until next week or just make one small change. The problem with that is that I rarely have success when I don't jump all in.

My husband is kind of on board. He is tired of being unhealthy also but feels too much stress from work to take the plunge completely. I know I need to make the change myself even if he's not ready. I'm hoping that I can find some support here since I may not have much at home.

I have to admit, I am a little scared of taking the plunge. I have had some pretty bad keto flu's in the past so I'm a little prepared for how hard that will be. But this will be the first time I've quite alcohol also (I've never had a drinking problem before). I would love any advice if you've gone through this also.

Thanks for listening!! :)

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group ...... Wishing you much success ... Feel free to add me :) Please make sure to up your sodium it will help with not getting the keto flu .... I have been doing LCHF since Oct and have not experienced the keto flu
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You've got a lot on your plate. I wish you the very best in meeting your goals!

I agree with the PP about keeping sodium up. If you keep Na between 3000-5000mg it should help reduce keto flu symptoms. A magnesium and potassium supplement may help too.

Welcome to the group. :)
  • monmyrunmommy
    monmyrunmommy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you ms_smartypants and nvmomketo!! I will definitely do that - I don't think I did that in the past. I found this article: http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/04/16/Keto-flu-and-Sufficient-Intake-of-Electrolytes

I'll go to a supplement store tomorrow to find some.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keeping sodium high will help keep K and Mg in check. Those tend to be low when Na as been low for a while
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Don't forget to browse the Launch Pad for some excellent resources! It's at the top of the group forum page, and is super informative!

Keto flu can be avoided by many with increased sodium intake, as mentioned!

You have the hardest part of the equation. You have to be the one that makes the choice to show up for yourself! It's something that can be tough, at first, but gets sooooo much easier after making that choice! We are here! Come and let it go! You deserve every good thing that comes from changing your life! Hugs!!
  • monmyrunmommy
    Options
    Even though I'm feeling pretty crappy from drinking too much yesterday, I still went to the store to stock up on some good food - something I would typically let keep me from making a good choice. I am cooking some low carb beef stew for lunch this week; boiling some eggs and I have some bacon thawing.

I do deserve to feel good and be healthy. Thank you!
  • erindellamore
    erindellamore Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the choice to be healthy!! It makes me so happy to see people who want to give alcohol the boot. I used to be a huge drinker myself and my husband as well and in retrospect it only sabotaged my self worth and confidence. The strength I feel from accomplishing weight loss is far better than the drinks I used to enjoy! Keto is great because it hardly gives you the carb allowance to drink as it is, plus you wind up feeling miserable after returning to old habits. Understand that because you may be fighting multiple forms of withdrawal, it could make your initial plunge more difficult than usual. But if you stick with it you're going to be so happy! This is such a wonderfully supportive group, you've got all the answers to everything you'll ever need here. Add friends, let your motivation fuel your goals and go for it!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. Great place to be and everyone is very supportive. And what I have noticed someone will always have the answer or point you in the right direction. I have done LCHF before but wasn't very successful in sticking with it. This time I went looking for some support and boy did I find it. This group really helps me stay on track. Getting started is the hardest part for me personally and I put it off for over a year on getting back on track. Post here frequently to keep your support group close. Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open to friends. I think you have taken a big step in the right direction in just posting this and being honest. I wish you well in your journey!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This is the best group anywhere for support, you have come to the right place.

Push through it, the results are so worth it! I drink bouillon for the sodium. A few other people here eat pickles for the sodium.

While I didn't have a drinking problem, I do find that when I do drink now, I drink a lot less. Just because I'm a lot more sensitive to the effects, it hits me harder faster and I really can't stand how I feel the next day any more.

• monmyrunmommy
    Options
    Well day 1 is going well. Thanks again to everyone for their kind words!! I am really glad to finally take the plunge and start making positive changes. I also signed up for Daily Burn so I can start working in some excercise in the mornings. I have also decided to get up and move more at work - I sit at a desk typically 7+ hours of my work day and then have a 1.5 hour commute each way. I know that I need to move around more so I am getting up and taking a short walk each hour and trying to incorporate a flight or two of stairs in a couple times.

I don't think it will be hard not drinking - I just needed to make the decision and really mean it. My husband is on board with that so there won't be any alcohol in the house to be tempted by.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    ∆∆∆ Great news! Your determination is key!
    Best to you!!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making such an important decision about your health. I love the way I feel and look when I am following this woe, but I always slip up because of alcohol. My socializing has always been based around it so that has been the hardest lifestyle change.

You are doing the right things, making plans, prepping meals, committing to more activity AND telling others so they can support and hopefully remind you, when needed, to stay on track.

The transition can be difficult and you're tackling two major things at once. Just remind your self that this difficult phase is temporary. You just have to get through today, eating low carb and not having a drink, today. Then you Plan to do the same thing tomorrow, but today stays your focus.

I just came back to the LCHF woe last week and while I got through NYE just fine (had kid carpooling duties), the next day one of my very best friends who I LOVE to drink wine with stopped by...I almost caved and opened a bottle, but instead we had tea and some great conversation and the accomplishment and pride I felt for not imbibing was very motivating. Once you get in the swing of things, your cravings will decrease, but you still need to keep reminding yourself why you committed to not eat and drink so much crap.

Best of luck, the harder you work the more you'll appreciate it!
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    We can all do this together!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    Well day 1 is going well. Thanks again to everyone for their kind words!! I am really glad to finally take the plunge and start making positive changes. I also signed up for Daily Burn so I can start working in some excercise in the mornings. I have also decided to get up and move more at work - I sit at a desk typically 7+ hours of my work day and then have a 1.5 hour commute each way. I know that I need to move around more so I am getting up and taking a short walk each hour and trying to incorporate a flight or two of stairs in a couple times.

I don't think it will be hard not drinking - I just needed to make the decision and really mean it. My husband is on board with that so there won't be any alcohol in the house to be tempted by.

Great idea about moving more. I also commute 45 minutes each way to work and what I do is walk during my lunch hour. We have a mall that is less than a mile from work and I go over daily to get in my steps. Maybe a fitbit or pedometer of some sort will motivate you to move :)
  • MilllieMoo
    MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I do deserve to feel good and be healthy. Thank you!

Absolutely right!!! You're brave and strong and you're going to make some great changes xx

• monmyrunmommy
    Options
    I'm three days in and j just want to thank you guys for the advice. So far I've only had had minimal carb flu symptoms, a mild headache and fatigue, (much different than last rim I did this) but despite drinking a ton of water my body feels really swollen like I'm retaining a ton of water and my legs and joints are achy from it. I'm hoping it'll pass soon.

I'm really proud of myself though for making it and sticking with it. I haven't felt like cheating or drinking.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yay!! I'm so proud for you!!! Thanks for the update on your success!!
    Now, for the symptoms:
    The bloating will pass as long as you keep the sodium up! The body will sense the sodium loss from the switch to burning fat and try to hold on to as much as it can (giving you bloating). The extra sodium will provide what your body needs, and it will relax it's hold on the fluid. Seems counterintuitive, but it works! The achiness in the joints will improve too once the fluid is released!

I look forward to many more updates of success!! :smiley:
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I would never, ever discourage anyone from going low-carb; it's made a world of difference to me over the past year and my only regret is that I didn't go this route years ago. That said, I've also freed myself from alcohol and I tackled that issue first. During my first six weeks of going cold turkey on the stuff, I concentrated on feeding myself in a healthy fashion without following any specific diet protocol. After I felt more confident about alcohol, then I started monitoring my carb and protein intake.

Taking things in manageable steps makes big changes possible. No matter how motivated we are, we can wear out our will power if we try to do too much all at once. There's even a name for it: "ego depletion."

However you achieve your goals, you'll thank yourself many times over.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm three days in and j just want to thank you guys for the advice. So far I've only had had minimal carb flu symptoms, a mild headache and fatigue, (much different than last rim I did this) but despite drinking a ton of water my body feels really swollen like I'm retaining a ton of water and my legs and joints are achy from it. I'm hoping it'll pass soon.

I'm really proud of myself though for making it and sticking with it. I haven't felt like cheating or drinking.

Water and sodium are a delicate balance. I would suggest adding more sodium and you should see the water level back out. If you drink a lot of water you need even more sodium than someone that doesn't drink as much. The recommended daily sodium intake for low carb/Keto is 3000mg to 5000mg, typically Keto requires sodium at the higher end. I don't drink a bunch of water/fluids in general and I do very well at about 3000mg.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options

Great job sticking with it! Keep up the great work.