AltShift

Options
MDAPebbles67
MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
Good Morning,

On January 2nd I started a new program called AltShift and wanted to start this thread for anyone who wants to follow along or join in. AltShift is an ancestral health based program put out by Jason Seib of 30kview/Jassa Fit. There is an ebook for sale on his website. In this thread, I will try to give the basic idea of what I am doing without cutting into his profits.

I started following the Primal Blueprint in the fall of 2010. Over the course of almost 4 years, I lost 80 lbs, but I bounced up and down in weight and would often tweak my macros to see what worked best. What I learned is that I do well on low carb paleo (under 50 grams of carb) for a while, but then I eventually have to stop due to negative symptoms. I also do well on moderate carb paleo (up to 150 grams of carb) like the Perfect Health diet, but after a while, I miss the benefits of VLC eating. I have often wondered if the key (for me) to staying steadily on plan and losing weight is to cycle these two options. The plan is to spend a certain number of days at ketogenic carb levels and a certain number of days doing moderate healthy carb eating. The difference between this idea and other carb cycling programs is that the carb up days are NOT a free for all. Gluten and Sugar are always off the menu.

I started hearing about AltShift on another site I visit. I read the book and decided that the plan fit my current train of thought. I will use this thread to check in once a week to report on the experiment.

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I'm interested in seeing your results!

GrokOn
  • IAmHere4MyHealth
    IAmHere4MyHealth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see how it works for you before I make any type of commitment to any program. Good luck
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of keto, personally. (NOT IMPLYING ANYTHING BUT MY OPINION! NOT INSULTING ANYONE! HATE HAVING TO USE DISCLAIMERS!)
    Good luck, though. I hope it works well.
  • shellybarrett731
    shellybarrett731 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been researching Altshift as well. Have you started it yet?
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    LHWhite903-No disclaimers needed here.

• MDAPebbles67
    Options
    I did one full cycle of altshift. I found that I enjoyed the change up between the two shifts and I am sure if I continued, it would work well.

The truth is, for me AltShift was just another desperate attempt to find the magic bullet. Just like anything else, if you do it, it will work.

I decided a week ago that it was time to head back into a 12 step recovery program. My issues are not going to be solved by following the perfect program. I need to deal with what is beneath the compulsive overeating. To lessen the diet obsession, I am choosing to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks within the Primal template. Period. No weighing, measuring or obsessing. I have almost a week of abstinence.

Sorry if I disappointed anyone who was watching the experiment. There is an active AltShift group on Facebook and Jason's podcasts can be found at 30kview :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Finding what works for you is what this is all about! It's great that you're working on finding the spot that makes everything click into place! Hang in there!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    LHWhite. Instead of a disclaimer you could just say nothing about something you don't agree with. After a long time here I have learned that using that approach is the easiest way to stay sane and not annoy others. In my first 2+ years here I was always voicing my opinions about approaches that I didn't agree with and had a bit of an attitude that my way was the right way. No longer. A very low carb diet (even zero carb) can be very helpful for quite a few people with certain common health problems, but if it does not apply to you, ignore it. I'm not being personally attacking, just a suggestion.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    MDA - I'm glad you posted this - I just took a "Best of Paleo" survey and AltShift was nominated in several categories. I need to go check it out. I do best on low-carb, not just for weight loss, but for mental reasons/seizure disorder kind of stuff. I used to keep it in the 40-60 gram range, but have hovered in the 80-100 level as my calories went up for maintenance. Thanks for the reminder to look it up!
  • indianarose2
    indianarose2 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking into it but havnt bought the book yet. There are podcasts on iTunes and an app as well.
  • joseyjo78
    joseyjo78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I might check it out.

I've been LCHF primal (VLC at times) for a few years and while I feel amazing (except when doing VLC keto), I can't loose weight. While being healthy is my primary concern of course, weight management is part of being healthy (IMO). I'm an intuitive eater. I eat only when I'm hungry, which is about 2-3 meals a day.

I recently read Perfect Health Diet and it made a lot of sense. So I spent a few weeks reading forums/blogs on increasing my carbs from the usual 20-30g to around 80-100g (apparently especially important for us ladies).

Two weeks later of including safe starches and reducing my fat intake to only wholefood form has been fantastic. I still feel great, have energy, sleep great... But the scale finally went down by 1.5kgs.

I'm interested in AltShift for the combo appeal so I'll read up on it. Maybe it combines the best of both worlds. At any rate, I'm loving PHD right now and the results to date. It's quite liberating not having to be carbphobic for the first time in years.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    joseyjo78 wrote: »
    Very interesting! I might check it out.

I've been LCHF primal (VLC at times) for a few years and while I feel amazing (except when doing VLC keto), I can't loose weight. While being healthy is my primary concern of course, weight management is part of being healthy (IMO). I'm an intuitive eater. I eat only when I'm hungry, which is about 2-3 meals a day.

I recently read Perfect Health Diet and it made a lot of sense. So I spent a few weeks reading forums/blogs on increasing my carbs from the usual 20-30g to around 80-100g (apparently especially important for us ladies).

Two weeks later of including safe starches and reducing my fat intake to only wholefood form has been fantastic. I still feel great, have energy, sleep great... But the scale finally went down by 1.5kgs.

I'm interested in AltShift for the combo appeal so I'll read up on it. Maybe it combines the best of both worlds. At any rate, I'm loving PHD right now and the results to date. It's quite liberating not having to be carbphobic for the first time in years.

Given that everybody should find out what works best for them, if moderate and low carb don't work for you, the solution may simply be on the other side of the spectrum (high carb - low fat).
    But anyway, as long as PHD works, I wouldn't change it.

• MDAPebbles67
    Options
    I love PHD. It is a great program.
  • KombuchaKat
    KombuchaKat Posts: 134 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've found that VLC does not work for me at least at this point in my life when I'm trying to rebalance my hormones and microbiome after many years on birth control pills. I always hear that once your body adjusts to VLC and you go into ketosis you feel better, but I can never make it that far. I'm loving PHD which fits my personality and lifestyle better anyway.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    I had great success on PHD, but I usually only ate about 100 grams of carbs instead of 150. I found I reached ketosis overnight on PHD if I stuck to the 8 hr eating window. Best of both worlds.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Pebbles67: How have you been doing since going back to eating 3 meals and 2 snacks a day within the Primal template?
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    loveswalking: Thanks for asking. I am getting treatment for my BED. Some days are good others not. A few years ago I lost 80 lbs using the Primal Blueprint. I believe the plan will work if I can stick with it.
  • loveswalking
    Options
    Pebbles67: Wow 80 lbs. is sure a great accomplishment for someone who has BED. Do you think you were doing better when you had the support of your friends on MDA?
    I know that you had helped me by reading some of the things that you tried doing. To see what worked and what didn't.

I'm glad you are getting treatment for your BED.

I now do 80% Primal with 5:2. I would like to try some form of carb cycling also.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    Yes. I miss MDA.

Sadly, I have regained 60 of the 80 lbs. The BED has been winning. BUT I have 3 clean days in, so there is hope.
  • loveswalking
    Options
    I could be wrong but isn't most of this weight gain from after you let MDA? Isn't there anyway you can rejoin under a different name so you can have the support of your friends? I think they helped you more than you realized.

Congrats on have 3 clean days I know how hard this is for you having BED.