AltShift

Options
MDAPebbles67
MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
Good Morning,

I posted this in the Paleo/Primal group, but I thought that there might be some people here who would be interested in this idea. Both "Shifts" in the program are under 150 grams of carb and so fall under the low carb umbrella. :)

"On January 2nd I started a new program called AltShift and wanted to start this thread for anyone who wants to follow along or join in. AltShift is an ancestral health based program put out by Jason Seib of 30kview/Jassa Fit. There is an ebook for sale on his website. In this thread, I will try to give the basic idea of what I am doing without cutting into his profits.

I started following the Primal Blueprint in the fall of 2010. Over the course of almost 4 years, I lost 80 lbs, but I bounced up and down in weight and would often tweak my macros to see what worked best. What I learned is that I do well on low carb paleo (under 50 grams of carb) for a while, but then I eventually have to stop due to negative symptoms. I also do well on moderate carb paleo (up to 150 grams of carb) like the Perfect Health diet, but after a while, I miss the benefits of VLC eating. I have often wondered if the key (for me) to staying steadily on plan and losing weight is to cycle these two options. The plan is to spend a certain number of days at ketogenic carb levels and a certain number of days doing moderate healthy carb eating. The difference between this idea and other carb cycling programs is that the carb up days are NOT a free for all. Gluten and Sugar are always off the menu.

I started hearing about AltShift on another site I visit. I read the book and decided that the plan fit my current train of thought. I will post the results of this experiment once a week in this thread."

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    What negative effects specifically are you experiencing from following low carb paleo?
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That sounds like a pattern I've fallen into, which I thought was common. Though I tend to keep my total carbs under 50, all grain and sugar are banned. What defines this WOE as something different?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    What negative effects specifically are you experiencing from following low carb paleo?

I'm curious to know, too. Also, how long are you on it before said effects start setting in?
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    CMYKRGB, The WOE is different for most low carbers because instead of staying steadily at a carb level under 50, you spend several days under 30, then do several days closer to 100 grams of carb.

ladipoet and Dragonwolf, The negative effects for me start after several months of ketogenic eating. I begin to have episodes of extremely low mood. I always keep my electrolytes and fat high, so that is not an issue.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @MDAPebbles67, I've heard of others having mood issues after being very low carb for a while. The ketones must do something to dopamine, that's a negative for some people. Very interesting! Thank you for posting your experience! Helps me understand the need for some people to cycle their carbs!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Love to hear your results. Sounds like an interesting experiment. Good luck.

Given mood is also linked to lack of sunlight, stress and other factors so I am wondering why you percieve that it is dietary in your case. For example, does a change in diet correspond to a step change in mood for you?
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    The mood changes do not happen when I eat moderate carb levels of healthy food or am eating high carb junk food for that matter. I only experience the mood issues when I am strictly very low carb. I have years of low carb experience and the same thing always occurs.
  • MDAPebbles67
    Options
    Interesting, Someone flagged my post as spam.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Sigh...
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    MDAPebbles76:
    What have your results been so far eating this way..
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Knowing that "happy hormones" are stimulated by sugar and other carbs, could there be an association with the lack of those things and an inability to then achieve an adequate amount of those hormones in their absence?
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options

If I didn't "know" you and know you are a legit person, I probably would've questioned it too. :) I'm excited to hear what happens with this program though!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What's the schedule for flipping carb days? CKD does a ~week rotation, and CarbNite does ~10 days I think.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    It's a 3-shift and 5-shift. 5-shift is LCHF. And I'm thinking it's 30g net carbs. The 3-shift is HCLF. I think the ceiling for fat for the day is 40g. So you go LCHF for 5 days, then shift to HCLF for 3. Then shift back.

This is what I have gathered from what I have heard/read. Also, the LCHF needs to have a large calorie difference from the low-fat shift. Something like 300 calories or somesuch. It's supposed to jog the hormones like CarbNite does.

That's all I can give you as I haven't read the book, only talked to people who have read it and done the program.

This thread has some people's experiences. It sounds like a PITA.
    http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=877103&highlight=altshift

There's Facebook group run by Seib. He holds his cards very close to his chest, guarding his secrets. But in his defense he IS trying to make money.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I looked at the website last week, and it didn't give any real information, other than to buy the book. I did make reference to phases/weeks and sounded like too much work.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It's pretty amazing how people continue to come up with diet variants that people will spend money on
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to my very rudimentary understanding of the program Trim Healthy Mama.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the idea of "jogging the hormones" with an increase in carbs because we so often hear about negatives when someone does it by accident.
    I'm not particularly carb sensitive except for increase in hunger, so I don't know if that sensitivity is what generally makes the difference for people or what. I haven't had a high carb day really. One time I know I had some traces of sugary sauces that I couldn't get off the meat at a Chinese buffet, but I doubt my carbs were over 50 that day and I didn't feel well at all afterward. It certainly didn't effect my fat loss in any way that I could tell. The scale responded to the inflammation I was feeling in my gut with extra weight for sure. But, I think everything just sent back to normal after I felt better.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options

:(
    It could read as advertising for a specific diet which is therefore spam. Cleary your intent is awareness n caring for others and stimulate an interesting discussion, however could also be interpreted as an excuse to sell something.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I'm still interested in your experience with this woe! I didn't perceive any of your posts to be trying to sell anything. Your results is what others here are interested in.