Milk, Dairy Products?

Options
Bluwaves1
Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
I am new to this group but have read some online articles about the dangers of homogenized milk and dairy products. I used to eat tons of yogurt! :neutral: Any comments or insight?

Replies

• auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about homogenization, you can buy nonhomogenized milk. Examples would be organic valley grassmilk or Kalona Super natural. I know that Kalona super natural also makes butter. Not sure on cheese or yogurt though.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    I am new to this group but have read some online articles about the dangers of homogenized milk and dairy products. I used to eat tons of yogurt! :neutral: Any comments or insight?

Listeria is the risk for non homogenized. I've never heard of the "dangers" of homogenized. It's digested differently and may lack some nutrients that raw milk has, but it's not dangerous.

I think you are confusing homogenized and pasteurized. Non-homogenized just means the fat isn't mixed in, its a layer on top. It is still heated to kill bacteria.

Non-pastuerized, aka raw milk, is typically only sold through "cow shares" aka you buy into the cow and "own" part of it, because you are allowed to drink your own cow's raw milk,. but a farmer is not allowed to sell raw milk. But my experience has been its still pretty easy to get if you know any dirty hippies, lol.

We buy a local brand called Snowville that is grass fed and non-homogenized. But my kids won't drink non-homogenized whole milk (neither will I) as the fat chunks on top gross them out. Mixed into stuff we like it fine, though. For yogurt, I ought to start making it myself, but I'm lazy tbh. Our favorite is Siggi's.
  • Bluwaves1
    Options
    I would hate to give up Greek yogurt!! From what I am reading there is no conclusive research either way. So I am sticking with it!

"Based on results from numerous prospective observational studies and meta-analyses, most, but not all, have shown no association and in some cases an inverse relationship between the intake of milk fat containing dairy products and the risk of CVD, CHD, and stroke. "Influence of Dairy Product and Milk Fat Consumption on Cardiovascular Disease Risk: A Review of the Evidence1,2

Peter J. Huth3 and
    Keigan M. Park4,*
  • Bluwaves1
    Options
    Thanks for your response! I have had people telling me 'no dairy' and 'you are not a baby cow' so you don't need milk. I normally do not drink much milk but do like the Greek yogurt. And If I stay under my calories if don't think 1 or 2 yogurts a day will kill me! thanks again!