Say Hello!

Options
124»

Replies

• suelouise1
    suelouise1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered why it is easier to grab junk food while stressed than it is to grab a piece of fruit or a ready made salad. :) I recently bought a Magic Bullet and have found that making a smoothie makes a quick meal - plus I get a lot of extra fruit and vegetables. Of course, this requires thinking ahead and making sure that I have all the ingredients in the fridge so that I can make that "quick" smoothie. For me, making time to go to the store once a week after I plan out the week's menus is essential. That is hard when going through school and every minute matters.
  • provon
    provon Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Welcome Joanna. It is so hard during internship to manage your schedule, healthy eating and exercise. I remember those days. Good job trying your best. Hope you have a great weekend.
  • johannasmfp
    johannasmfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks provon! Yeah, right now though I'm doing a rotation in family medicine and that makes the hours a lot easier, hopefully I'm getting back on track. I'm not sure why it's so hard to just take care of yourself sometimes, way to easy to fall back into bad habits when stress levels are high. suelouise1, I just know it's true. Maybe if your stress levels are high your body is like "Man, we're going to run from lions, we are so pumped, lets eat!" And then, there's no lion, no running. Just, a really long nightshift... :)
  • LandD19
    LandD19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone- I am Lynne and I have been an RN for over 30 years. Have been overweight most of my adulthood after having kids. I was an ICU nurse for almost 20 years and then have done hospice nursing for the past 13 years. When I lost both my best friend and my mom this summer I decided I needed some changes so now I work in psych and I am starting to take care of my health. I got a personal trainer/health coach and then this app was recommended. So far I am loving it--- learning a lot!
  • nurseuback2health
    nurseuback2health Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello All!
    I'm Kelly - a nurse here in Southern California.
    I have decided it is time to Nurse MYSELF Back 2 Health!
    Looking forward to this journey!
  • Nousheenh
    Nousheenh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lynne and Kelly. And Lynne, sorry for your loss, not much to say when such tragedies happen in our lives.
  • nkhalid74
    nkhalid74 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hi im nadeem..doctor.. lost 5kg.. and trying to keep running and maintain my fitness.. doing about 25-30miles a week now.. but building up again.. no targets just trying to keep as fit as possible.. practice what you preach..i guess.
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Liana, Clinical Psychologist in Australia. I've been on MFP 4 times now. That is 3 rounds of losing up to 10kg, then falling away from the daily focus, by appendicitis one new years, pneumonia the next new years - and this year, I am ready. I have made a commitment to 365 days focused on loving myself through very considered eating.
    Be lovely to connect to other health professionals. I'm sure many of you, like me, find it so easy to care for others well being - ahead of my own. I have about 60 kg to lose, I am down 4kg this time so far.
  • miemabbie
    miemabbie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My name is Dawn and I've been a nurse for 3 years. I work at a small hospital which means I work ER, Med/Surge, Outpatient & I've recently started working as a Chemo nurse. Needless to say the past 7 years have been busy! I also have four beautiful children (two are heading off to college!). Thankfully my job & my children keep me moving but it also means that I'm extremely tired :) Which most people wouldn't understand but as this is a group for medical professionals you all know exactly what I mean about the fatigue. My goal is to lose those last 10 lbs that I keep losing & gaining. I eat a very clean diet but my goal is to reduce my sugar intake. I LOVE me some sugar!! I have to eat gluten free, dairy free, and basically free of all chemicals which means I have to cook everything I eat & cannot eat at restaurants. This does help me maintain my weight but I tend to overeat as I think in the back of my head is the thought "who knows when I can eat again!" plus I've always had a huge appetite. I tend to follow the "Trim healthy mama,Clean eating, I quit sugar, Paleo plans" which means I've incorporated some concepts from each plan to fit my life. I'm looking forward to connecting with others working in the medical field!
  • geeberfever
    geeberfever Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Greetings all! I am a new RN BSN working in med/surg with rotating shifts. My normally healthy lifestyle has been in shambles the past few months and I'm trying to learn how to continue being an avid runner and eat healthy on those long shifts! It's been 2 months since I last ran and it's been definitely taking a toll on me because it's my way to decompress and center myself. I'm hoping that MFP and being in a nursing group like this will help me get on the right path!
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse assistant in an ICU,and also a mental health unit. Single mama. Most of my shifts are 12 hours,and I've put on 25 lbs since returning to work 2 1/2 years ago after having my son.
  • cemurphy909
    cemurphy909 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a nursing assistant in an assisted living community and just graduated with a BA in biology in May. I hope to eventually attend PA school within the next few years. Throughout my four years of undergrad, I put on about 40 lbs, mostly due to unhealthy eating and stress, and some due to medication that I am no longer taking. My goal is to lose 25-30 lbs. I know I cannot bounce back to pre-college weight as I am not 17 anymore! Haha

I was wondering for other nursing assistant/nurses/other healthcare professionals who are on their feet running around all day, what do you have your activity level set to on MFP? I currently have it set to "lightly active" (spend a good part of your day on your feet), but have been thinking about changing it to "active" (spend a good part of your day doing something physically active). Let me know what you think!

The most difficult part about staying healthy as a healthcare professional is finding the time to do it! Someone earlier in the thread said something along the lines of "a profession that is centered around giving care leaves little time for the providers to practice self care", which I thought was a very insightful statement. Luckily, I am young, single, and without children, so my time off really is truly mine, and thus I am able to make strides in the right direction by finding the time to exercise and make healthy meals for myself. However, food temptation at work still exists, especially when you can't find the time to take a break and are left starving at the end of your shift!

PS: any nursing assistants/nurses that use a fitbit with MFP? I would love to chat with you, especially about the calorie adjustment feature!