Donating blood?

Options
ThinGwen
ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
Have any of you donated blood post surgery? I'm about 5 months out. When I was on medifast, they recommended not donating because I was eating so little, and I'm eating less now. I really want to. Among other things, I get "points" that I can use at my work gym for things like reserving locker. Right now, I either keep my stinky gym shoes in my office all day

Replies

• joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Yes, I donate at work everytime there is a drive the first time was about five or six months out! I was nervous at first but did fine, I always tell them up front about my surgery so they don't rush me through (you know how they do) and I take my time after eating a tiny bit of cheese and sipping some water usually at least half a bottle). I haven't had any episodes, I also try to go right after I have eaten lunch or had a protein shake - my own choice so I don't get shaky not that I did, I just wanted to make sure...I would be mortified if I passed out at work LOL! Everyone has been wonderful, complimentary, asked lots of questions and cheered me on in the blood drive - I am sure you will have the same results. But I do recommend telling them in case you need to take some extra time or need some closer care, they are professionals - so I think you would be in good in hands :)
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just donated three weeks ago and didn't have any problems (I am almost 11 months out). I would also recommend eating prior to donating.
  • ThinGwen
    ThinGwen Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    My blood bank has a six month wait post any surgery but stated that they would be happy to suck out my blood again when that time comes.