Movie Popcorn

Options
2»

Replies

• CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, the movie concession counter is a Carbfest I have to avoid. I then sit through the entire movie listening to and smelling my DH's popcorn binge.

The bigger problem is, now that I'm eating so much sodium and drinking more water, it's really hard to sit through a 2 hour movie without an intermission.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I literally have to avoid going to the movie theatre. Movie theatre popcorn has way too much control over me. I'm a long way from conquering that bad habit, so until then, avoiding the situation is my solution. It's not too tough though as I'm too fidgety to sit still for 2-3 hours, so I prefer to watch at home where I can hit pause, much to my husband's chagrin.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I don't really like movie theater popcorn. I like my own with coconut oil and salt, though I haven't made it since I started this WOE. (I really need to though--for the fam--since I have quite the stash of Bob's Red Mill white popping corn to use up. ;) )
    I would bring nuts, seeds, baked cheese snacks, etc., instead if I wanted something to munch on. I might not end up eating it but I like to have something in case I get tempted or start feeling deprived. So far that hasn't been a big problem for me on this diet compared to when I was low-carb/low-fat/high-protein.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,421 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever go to the movies so I think I would likely bring some nuts and maybe share a small popcorn with my husband with some bottled water. I figure we can have little treats once in a while but not too often. Movie popcorn is awfully good :)
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I bring a coffee (if I can get away with it) and as many others have said, pre-portioned nuts. Beef jerky is another one.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I would sneak in some string cheese, salted nuts, and a bar of superdarkdarkdark chocolate. Yeah, I made that up, but I think you get the point. That way all my potential hunger and craving needs are satisfied. If you must get something at concession, maybe a hot dog without the bun? That said, I do occasionally allow myself to eat a small portion of a usually forbidden food. I just don't know if movie popcorn would be my chosen indulgence. Ironically, my coworker who is trying low carb just called me in the middle of the morning to ask if popcorn is allowed. :)
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hmmm...anyone try tossing some (warmed in the microwave) pork rind pieces w/ melted butter & salt, ala popcorn style? An addition of splenda or sweetener might give it a kettle corn kick as well...or butter, parm & cracked black pepper is a combo I've loved on popcorn too.

it would be a fat bomb, but I think I could deal w/ it...experiments may happen this weekend
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Andee2000 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone!

Also, I forgot about those baked cheese things. I'm going to pick some up at lunch. I have a long way to go to get back to where I want to be and I don't want to derail things so early.

What brand are those cheese things and are they in the snack aisle? I need to find those. I think I tried them at a friends house YEARS ago but I can't remember!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    I've only seen Moon Cheese brand, and I've only seen it at Starbucks so far, but I don't generally venture into the snack aisles at the grocery store just to look around.
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I ended up getting a small popcorn and just logging it. I used the highest calorie option out of all of the theater's in MFP to ensure I didn't underestimate. I go to the movies every few months so I think adding this treat in periodically isn't going to kill me or my diet. I was able to get right back on plan after with no weird cravings.
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    hmmm...anyone try tossing some (warmed in the microwave) pork rind pieces w/ melted butter & salt, ala popcorn style? An addition of splenda or sweetener might give it a kettle corn kick as well...or butter, parm & cracked black pepper is a combo I've loved on popcorn too.

it would be a fat bomb, but I think I could deal w/ it...experiments may happen this weekend

This sounds weird, but I find that when I eat pork rinds they get stuck in my throat in a weird way. I can only eat one or two. Any more than that I cannot seem to swallow if that makes sense. It is the weirdest thing.
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    Great!