Pre-op stories

Options
Hello all,

I finally saw the surgeon for the first time yesterday (seemed like it took forever!). Thankfully I knew my insurance requirements beforehand and I had completed the six month requirement of supervised weight loss so now I am awaiting insurance approval and medical clearance. Unfortunately, I cannot get into the medical clearance physician until February 15th and then they state I will have to see the surgeon again after that, and then surgery will be about six weeks from that second surgeon appointment... UGH!

I'm looking for anyone that is in my shoes (playing the waiting game) to share their experience. The surgeon says I've met the weight loss goal he would have set for me - just don't gain any weight back, all my paperwork is complete, and I feel mentally ready but now it's all about the doctor availability. :neutral:

Here are the steps I have had/have to complete:
1. I had to wait for my husband to work at his company for five years before I could even pursue WLS! (per his insurance)
2. Complete six months of supervised weight loss (completed Apr 2015-Oct 2015)
3. Attend all day group bariatric seminar with nurse program coordinator (completed Oct 27, 2015)
4. Attend all day group nutrition and exercise seminar (completed Nov 11, 2015)
5. Psychologist appointment and clearance (completed Nov 11, 2015)
6. First surgeon appointment (Jan 6, 2016)
7. Obtain insurance approval (pending)
8. Medical clearance appointment (pending February 15, 2016)
9. Second surgeon appointment (TBD - maybe February 19th or 26th if they have openings)
10. Schedule surgery (approximate six weeks from second surgical appointment)
11. Attend all day group pre-op seminar with nurse coordinator (one week before surgery)
12. Pre-op liquid diet for one week
13. Surgery

Replies

• gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, it is a waiting game. BUT, you are still doing working towards the goal of having it done.

With me, as it seemed to drag on and on between this and that and jumping thru this hoop or that, it really made me more determined that this was what I was going and how hard I was going to have to work to get it.
  • Bluemajestic
    Bluemajestic Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    gdnplnty wrote: »
    Oh yes, it is a waiting game. BUT, you are still doing working towards the goal of having it done.

With me, as it seemed to drag on and on between this and that and jumping thru this hoop or that, it really made me more determined that this was what I was going and how hard I was going to have to work to get it.

Thank you for sharing! I am not going to give up, I'm sticking with it. I don't even miss a lot of the junk food I used to eat; and I certainly don't miss the fried foods!
  • gdnplnty
    gdnplnty Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing! I am not going to give up, I'm sticking with it. I don't even miss a lot of the junk food I used to eat; and I certainly don't miss the fried foods!

No problems :smiley:

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The waiting and preparations process just helps to make your lifestyle change more of a part of you. I'm 7 weeks post op at this point and had 7 months of hoops beforehand. I'm glad, now, that I had all of that time to get my head right, make daily exercise part of my routine, learn how to live and have a social life that isn't focused on food or going out, etc. However, when I was knee deep into the process...I kinda wanted to cut someone lol. I feel your pain CHICA!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Wow you have had so many hoops to jump through and more to go. You are a woman of strength and perseverance. Insurance can be a bear. I hope the rest of the process goes smoothly and quickly for you.
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • creepykbear
    creepykbear Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm at the hurry up and wait stage too. I started my pre-op plan on June 6, have done 6 months of supervised weight loss, met the surgeon on Dec 8. The surgeon office finally got my paperwork in last week to the insurance, but now the insurance says we have potentially not met their 2 years insured by them process (which is bs because work just went to that insurance 1 year ago, so they have to contact the old work insurance). I had to see a psychologist, nutritionist and get a letter from a general practitioner. My 6 visits for the supervised loss were amazing though - and I'm down 115 lbs on their diet/exercise plan - so I'm so glad I did it. At this point I could have surgery as early as Jan 25 if insurance gets their act together this week... will probably wait till beginning of feb though so I can get in a few more days at work I already signed up for. What a roller coaster!
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    I'm at the hurry up and wait stage too. I started my pre-op plan on June 6, have done 6 months of supervised weight loss, met the surgeon on Dec 8. The surgeon office finally got my paperwork in last week to the insurance, but now the insurance says we have potentially not met their 2 years insured by them process (which is bs because work just went to that insurance 1 year ago, so they have to contact the old work insurance). I had to see a psychologist, nutritionist and get a letter from a general practitioner. My 6 visits for the supervised loss were amazing though - and I'm down 115 lbs on their diet/exercise plan - so I'm so glad I did it. At this point I could have surgery as early as Jan 25 if insurance gets their act together this week... will probably wait till beginning of feb though so I can get in a few more days at work I already signed up for. What a roller coaster!

Down 115 lbs! That's amazing!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I went to my seminar in August of 2011 and actually met my surgeon. He was AMAZING and I was immediately impressed (and that's odd for me!) I started my dietitian visits in September of 2011, had to pay for those (they were with his dietitian on his team.) After the 3rd visit--November--I found out that the insurance I had (had been Texas Medicaid) was dropped and I was changed to something called Amerigroup of Texas, as an SSI Recipient. My doctor would accept it, but Amerigroup WOULD NOT pay for the surgery. I had traveled 300 miles 3 times for 3 dietitian visits, paid cash for them, only to find out it was a waste. Well, later in the week the surgeon's office called and told me how to submit for approval to the company for the surgery, so we continued with the dietitian visits. I completed them in February of 2012. Next step was the psychological exam. I had that a couple weeks later--another out of pocket expense, another 300 mile round trip. All went well, so I had a naso-gastric test scheduled with the surgeon to test for bacteria in the stomach area. Traveled 300 miles round trip for that--that test was AWFUL! That same day I was sent to the hospital for the pre-surgical workup, only to find out AFTER they did all the tests that my insurance company had not sent approval. Contacted doctor's office only to find out I had been DENIED. Because I was denied that hospital pre-admit stuff was not paid, so I had to cover that out of pocket! Surgeon's office resubmitted paperwork and again was denied. This time I received a letter telling me I wasn't approved because I "did not have the mental ability to understand the changes that I would need to make post surgery...." Turns out they never received my psych results. They also never received the paperwork from my sleep study, the paperwork from my endocrinologist (I'm a type I diabetic on an insulin pump.) In fact, they had only received 2 pages of the 173 pages my doctor's office faxed to them. So the office faxed it all AGAIN--all 173 pages. By this time, we are looking at mid July of 2012. I had begun my preop diet twice and had to stop because of denials. I was using MyFitnessPal and seeing some success with a medically supervised 800 calorie diet. I was STARVING! I had also given up on the idea of surgery. Well, early September of 2012 I get a call telling me that I need to come to the surgeon's office so they can take my picture and I need to go to the hospital for my pre-admit work up. I had been APPROVED. I certainly didn't expect it, and almost decided against it. In the end, obviously, I went through with it and had gastric bypass surgery on 9/27/2012. I have no regrets. It was crazy getting there. The stress was nuts. I don't think my phone and my television remote could handle being thrown any longer. Here I am, 3+ years later. One of the best decisions I ever made.
  • rejeannern
    rejeannern Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    today is day 4 of my 14 day pre op diet and while I feel hungry at times, I just follow the given plan and wait for the next time to eat. So far, I'm losing about 2 lbs a day. My surgery is scheduled for January 21 and had started the process in late august. I have to travel to the nearest hospital that provides this service and that is over 225 away, so a four hour one way trip. I had hoped to have it before winter started to avoid traveling much in our winter but I was delayed because of needing a cardiology appt for cardiac risks assessment. I've lose a total of 30 pounds since sept by watching what i eat and swimming nearly on a daily basis. when i had a time delay for the surgery, I just focused on eating well, doing exercise and organizing both my life and home. As most people will relate, I have the "waited so long for this and now it is nearly at hand" jitters. Feeling very good about it all and anxious to live life in a smaller body and be able to do things without so much pain and limitations. I keep reminding myself that what I will miss is nothing compared to what I will receive. As a side hobby, i like to visit thrift stores to look for awesome finds in smaller sizes for cheap and look forward to wearing it soon. Good luck and consider that the delay is part of a bigger picture and embrace it all.
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    annwyatt69 wrote: »
    I went to my seminar in August of 2011 and actually met my surgeon. He was AMAZING and I was immediately impressed (and that's odd for me!) I started my dietitian visits in September of 2011, had to pay for those (they were with his dietitian on his team.) After the 3rd visit--November--I found out that the insurance I had (had been Texas Medicaid) was dropped and I was changed to something called Amerigroup of Texas, as an SSI Recipient. My doctor would accept it, but Amerigroup WOULD NOT pay for the surgery. I had traveled 300 miles 3 times for 3 dietitian visits, paid cash for them, only to find out it was a waste. Well, later in the week the surgeon's office called and told me how to submit for approval to the company for the surgery, so we continued with the dietitian visits. I completed them in February of 2012. Next step was the psychological exam. I had that a couple weeks later--another out of pocket expense, another 300 mile round trip. All went well, so I had a naso-gastric test scheduled with the surgeon to test for bacteria in the stomach area. Traveled 300 miles round trip for that--that test was AWFUL! That same day I was sent to the hospital for the pre-surgical workup, only to find out AFTER they did all the tests that my insurance company had not sent approval. Contacted doctor's office only to find out I had been DENIED. Because I was denied that hospital pre-admit stuff was not paid, so I had to cover that out of pocket! Surgeon's office resubmitted paperwork and again was denied. This time I received a letter telling me I wasn't approved because I "did not have the mental ability to understand the changes that I would need to make post surgery...." Turns out they never received my psych results. They also never received the paperwork from my sleep study, the paperwork from my endocrinologist (I'm a type I diabetic on an insulin pump.) In fact, they had only received 2 pages of the 173 pages my doctor's office faxed to them. So the office faxed it all AGAIN--all 173 pages. By this time, we are looking at mid July of 2012. I had begun my preop diet twice and had to stop because of denials. I was using MyFitnessPal and seeing some success with a medically supervised 800 calorie diet. I was STARVING! I had also given up on the idea of surgery. Well, early September of 2012 I get a call telling me that I need to come to the surgeon's office so they can take my picture and I need to go to the hospital for my pre-admit work up. I had been APPROVED. I certainly didn't expect it, and almost decided against it. In the end, obviously, I went through with it and had gastric bypass surgery on 9/27/2012. I have no regrets. It was crazy getting there. The stress was nuts. I don't think my phone and my television remote could handle being thrown any longer. Here I am, 3+ years later. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Wow! Craziness. I'm glad it all worked out for you.
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    I JUST GOT THE CALL! INSURANCE AUTHORIZED MY SURGERY!! Now just medical clearance and then surgery can be scheduled!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Great news, Congrats!!
  • RNY2thin
    RNY2thin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I know playing the waiting game is like Chinese water torture. ... I started back in June myself, then had to fight insurance over two denials. (Paperwork missing, wasn't my fault) my story is like yours, took 5 years to get insurance. ...

Now is the time to shine, enjoy our journey focus on us.

RNY 2/16/16
    Start optifast tomorrow. .. YACK
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    Thank you. I am super excited and will be relieved to finally get a surgery date. The medical clearance is holding me up; having to wait six weeks just to get cleared is ridiculous in my opinion. Once that is complete, surgery should be six additional weeks. Hoping for late March or early April.
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    Just got home from my medical clearance appointment that I had to wait SIX weeks for and MAN AM I PISSED! What a waste of my time and money!??! I had my blood work done over a month ago and they emailed me to say everything was normal. I went into the appointment today after taking six hours off of work because they told me to plan to be there for 3-4 hours; 15 minutes and the doctor was in and out! It was something my PCP could have done! They took my BP, temp, checked my ears/eyes/throat/belly - that was it! I have no major medical issues and I should not have been subjegated to the same process as someone who has major medical issues/history!

Now I have to wait until Friday to see the surgeon again and they said surgery should be about six weeks (again) from that date. They wouldn't even see me today or schedule surgery today. I drove all the way down there, paid to park, and lost six hours of pay for a simple check. Grr...!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    That sucks, but really, it's going to get worse. There are a lot of hoops after surgery too and not just with doctors and insurance companies. The food hoops are pretty serious too. Best to get used to it now!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I understand your impatience and frustration. We all have been there. Even when things go right it seems like it takes forever. There are many setbacks in this process. I had an insurance glitch at the end and my surgery was scheduled later than I had planned. I was so frustrated. The only thing that kept me going is I would tell myself "things happen for a reason". I found in life this is really true. This will get you more prepared and it will all work out in the end. Things may go better than you think it will at your appointment Friday.
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    Thank you both. I hope Friday goes well.
  • Bluemajestic
    Options
    Another wasteful day at the surgeons office. Sat around for three hours just for them to highlight some information in my binder and give me a surgery date of 5/2/16. If I had a choice, I would go elsewhere. Unfortunately my insurance will only approve this facility. I like the doctor and staff, but their process is ridiculous and a waste of time.