Is anyone else terrified to exercise?

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I'm at the point I'm ready to. I feel like I could really do it and feel great. I have energy back since getting back to low carb and want to build on that.

My issue is I have had problems with my back in the past, nothing severe but it's been chronic. I've been treated for it and have no restrictions on exercise. What happens every time I start is that no matter how slowly I get back to it inevitable I end up in pain and can't do anything for a few weeks.

Now in my mind it's like I've been trained not to do it. I mean if every time you do something you get zapped then eventually you learn to stop doing that thing.

So what do I do. I want to build muscle and be strong which I know will actually help my back in the long run. But what I can do that I think won't cause issue doesn't feel like I'm doing anything.

:(

Replies

• ab6046
    ab6046 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? I know a few people with chronic back problems and it seems to help, plus it doesn't feel strenuous. It can be great strength training and cardio too!
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. I have back issues and joint issues as well. Sometimes things are great and other times there is a lot of pain. I'm also toying with the idea of exercise again, but am too afraid of the pain to start. I'm eager to see the advice here.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    No, I'm terrified not to exercise. I can always find something I can do. I used a stationary bike for 6 months while I was healing from a broken tibia.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I swim in the summer. I don't have the budget to pay somewhere to swim in the winter. I walk on my lunches when it's warm enough and have a recumbent bike. I'm wanting more strength training, I did the exercises I have from pt so maybe I'll try that a couple weeks then go from there. I just have energy and want to work hard and sweat and feel fatigued from it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I can now walk OK so I do at least a quarter mile daily if there is no ice or snow on the hill.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I swim in the summer. I don't have the budget to pay somewhere to swim in the winter. I walk on my lunches when it's warm enough and have a recumbent bike. I'm wanting more strength training, I did the exercises I have from pt so maybe I'll try that a couple weeks then go from there. I just have energy and want to work hard and sweat and feel fatigued from it.

You could always start with body weight stuff to get your body use to the movement and proper form, such as squats and lunges, then slowly add light weights and progress onward. Also core strengthening exercises will go far toward helping with back pain.

I am not afraid of exercise, I am just not a fan of it. I do like heavy lifting and have done some of the Stonglifts 5x5 before. I had a back injury in 2014 that put me out of work for 2 months and that's all healed and I haven't had a problem with lifting heavy. Sore yes, pain no. I loathe cardio with a passion. I have a very physical job and have to force myself to go to the gym on my days off where I just wanna sit around and rest up for my next shift. For me it's a matter of getting from point A (home) to point B (gym). Once I am there I can put in an hour and it just feels like time flies by.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer for seniors before I retired. I would check osteoporosis websites for safe exercises since people with this condition must exercise but they must always support their back. Exercise sites for seniors may also give you some ideas. Sounds funny but if safe for those over 80, the rest of us should be able to manage.

No matter the age, a full body workout with aerobics, weight training, flexibility and balance is always encouraged. The exercises are simply adapted to suit age and ability. Squats become standups/sitdowns on a hard chair, moving to a standup and squat/hover etc. I too have back problems because of arthritis and there are website with exercise recommendations for that too. Once started without pain, you can decide where to go from there.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I'm hopeful that I can figure something out. One day at a time. It saddens me how much muscle tone I've lost over the years with up and down weight and little exercise
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've found lifting any weight to be a producer of pain, for me. The headache is terrible! I agree with you about reluctance! Once you experience pain from something, after trying multiple times, you tend to avoid the cause. I stick with walking and an occasional bike ride.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how bad your back problems are but doing core work (like crunches) can help strengthen your abdominals and support your back.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I had back surgery a couple of years ago and although I wasn't afraid to exercise, I found any kind of squatting to cause me pain. I tried different variations and I had to eventually give up on squats. Listen to your body. If something causes you pain, don't do it. Most other exercises, I can do with no problem. Just take it slow.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too, not because of back pain but because of knee pain. Every time I try to do an official workout, I end up having to skip certain exercises because my knees, especially the right one, hurt pretty easily. I can't do lunges, squats need to be done very carefully, jarring aerobic exercises like jumping jacks and running cause problems, etc. I'm just trying to walk more and will probably stick with gentle Pilates and yoga for a bit.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Yoga, walking, swimming, and bike riding. I have bad ankles, bad wrists, and a bad back from my earlier years of over activity then breaking bones. Ug! I have an adversion to running, even though I vowed to do C25K, I too have a mental phobia of re-injury.

There's a lot to be said about just doing basic yoga stretches, squats, and planks. I'm not a fan of downward dog and some of the weight on my wrists poses, but I modify accordingly, just to get a nice stretch feels like I'm doing something.

I also love just walking, but the cold weather does limit it a bit. Funny, I was in the mall yesterday before 9am waiting for a store to open. I needed to pick something up before work. I was amazed at the number of folks (lot's of them seniors) just walking inside the mall. At first, I couldn't figure out where everyone was going in such a hurry. It's like I stumbled into a whole new subculture. There were groups of men and women, smiling, talking, laughing while walking briskly. So different from the frowny faces I saw during the Xmas shopping rush. It was strange, but uplifting! LOL.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    "I was amazed at the number of folks (lot's of them seniors) just walking inside the mall. At first, I couldn't figure out where everyone was going in such a hurry. It's like I stumbled into a whole new subculture. There were groups of men and women, smiling, talking, laughing while walking briskly. So different from the frowny faces I saw during the Xmas shopping rush. It was strange, but uplifting! LOL."

Yup, they are there!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Back when I was fit enough to enjoy going to the gym, I did yoga and pilates for my back pain. Strengthening my core allowed me to do more weight bearing exercise. I did videos at home too and loved the Gaiam ones. They have an online video subscription plan now and the first month is just $.99, might be a good way to see if you like it. gaia.com
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    I've done a lot of yoga and pilates in the past. Pilates is more tolerable for me usually. Last time I tried it though I got a wicked spasm and haven't been back to it since :( I can handle yoga too. I saw that gaiam has a channel/app for streaming, I might check that out and see what I can handle. I so wish I could do my slim in 6 or p90x stuff but that is so jarring I just know I shouldn't yet, its hard to pace myself when I feel energized and want to really work out.

@slimzandra I used to see them walking when I did outside sales, some of our clients were in the mall and we would be there early for sales calls. it was always so funny because they have their own little groups, kinds like in high school lol
  • MerryOne00
    MerryOne00 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have 3 & 5 lb hand weights in my TV room and bedroom. I pick them up a few times a week. Just seeing them is a reminder. I don't know if this would cause distress because of your back issues, but it helps me.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Some malls actually have a mall walkers club/group you can sign up for. I'm not sure what difference there would be between signing up for a group and just going to the mall to walk, but I'm assuming there would be some perks.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I suppose one perk of doing exercise with others is that while you are chatting away you don't notice the pain your in - until you get home.

I'm seriously thinking of looking in to this phenomena. As I was walking, in work heels, at what is a fairly good pace, these two couples walking side by side, chirped around me at a pretty good clip. When I noticed how old they were, how fast they were walking and still talking, I was really surprised. So, I started to walk faster to see exactly the pace. Granted, I had shoes with heels and they were in sneakers, but I was pretty bummed that they had a full stride and a half on my one stride. It was weird, like HS. The older cool kids, blowing past the dork, laughing and moving along..
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Some malls actually have a mall walkers club/group you can sign up for. I'm not sure what difference there would be between signing up for a group and just going to the mall to walk, but I'm assuming there would be some perks.

Friendship, and becoming one of the 'cool kids'. But...... watch the coffee shop gathering at the end of the walk! It is fun though because the clubs often start their walk when the mall shops are closed and you can really move in those empty halls.