Question about "zoodles"

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
So, I just got a spiralizer! Mainly because we are pasta fiends in my house and since going low carb that is the ONE thing I find I still crave. Not so much the actual pasta, but the ease of adding it to "complete" a meal like chicken parm for example. So, my plan is to start making zucchini noodles for these times. Plus, I have found some other fun uses for the spiralizer as well.

Anyways, when making zoodles are you supposed to cook them to soften them up? If so, how? Do you boil them or just sautee them with the sauce to slightly cook them?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I got one too :) I had been using a mandolin to make zoodles, I can't wait to use my spiralizer.

don't boil them. there is a lot of liquid in zucchini so put paper towels on a baking sheet and put your oven on low, around 225 degrees, sprinkle them with salt then put them in the oven for 30-45 minutes to dry out. they will come out with moisture in them still so blot them or put in a colander lined with cheese cloth or paper towels to squeeze out more of the liquid. I found that they are delicious eaten just plain too after doing that. share your other ideas for using the spiralizer, I haven't tried mine yet because all the zucchini locally is tiny these days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I steam them, but just for a few minutes. Just to make them hot mostly
  • Mamarose1900
    Mamarose1900 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can also saute them. Saute uncovered over medium-low heat. Stir it occasionally. The excess liquid will evaporate as it cooks. It takes a while to cook it this way, but if you cook it faster, it won't dry out as much.

Another thing you can do is put a kitchen towel or cheesecloth in a colander. Add the spiralized zucchini. Toss the zucchini with about a teaspoon of salt. Let it sit for a half hour or so. Then gently squeeze out the excess liquid before you cook it.

A third way to coax the excess liquid out is to microwave it for a minute or two. Let it cool. Then squeeze the excess liquid out. Be sure to lightly salt it before you cook it. Salt draws out the liquid.

You can make salads from the raw spiralized zucchini. I like to cook it al dente, so it has a similar texture as pasta, when I'm subbing it in pasta dishes. I also spiralize yellow summer squash (crookneck and straight yellow zucchini). It has a little bit more of a neutral flavor than green zucchini. And a mix of the two makes a really pretty plate.

You can experiment with different techniques like, if you take a paring knife and slice lengthwise about halfway through, then spiralize it using the ribbon blade, you get little discs. They're especially good in soups.

Anyway, enjoy!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I saute them. Usually I eat them in shrimp scampi so what I do is add the zoodles to the pan with the shrimp and sauce, then stir a bit to coat them. Cover, get the plates, come back and it's done.

If you cook them too long their cells will all rupture and you'll have watery limp zoodles.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I sold everything I owned and moved to the UK 18 months ago and am still re-buying all of my kitchen gadgets, so I just got myself a new spiralizer too. They sent me a PDF with recipes, there's nothing too exciting in there, but I just popped it into my Dropbox if anyone would like to download a copy.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fancy spiralizer, but have a julienne peeler that makes linguine like slices. We sautée lightly in butter, or I also like these raw with hot meat sauce on top. The heat from the sauce softens the zucchini noodles up without getting them soggy.

But mostly we just use a regular vegetable peeler to create ribbons, very elegant. Sauté onions in butter, then add zucchini to lightly sauté then serve plain or dressed wth any sauce.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I saute with a little olive oil and salt. I have made them with spaghetti sauce, in a carbonara or with a cheese sauce. Really great!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you want a lot more recipes and vegetables to spiralize, you should definitely go to www.inspiralized.com. It's a blog full of just spiralized recipes.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just used mine for the first time last week! I sauteed the spirals very gently so they still had some crunch. This was for a chicken alfredo dish, and it worked great! My husband had mostly zoodles with a few real noodles, and I had all zoodles, and we were both pretty happy with how it turned out.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    If you want a lot more recipes and vegetables to spiralize, you should definitely go to www.inspiralized.com. It's a blog full of just spiralized recipes.

that is an awesome link, thank you so much for sharing
  • Radiant8888
    Radiant8888 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I did cook them initially but then they gave me wind (not to put too fine a point on it!) - so I stopped and just had them raw with the hot sauce on top. Carrots are great spiralised and sweet potato. With courgettes I just peel them lengthwise to make tagliatelle strips.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    LOL.....I keep seeing courgettes in things, and I had no idea what a courgette was...thanks to google, I get it now.

Another idea I found is to spiralize an apple, warm it up, toss with melted butter, cinnamon and sugar (stevia, swerve, sweetener of choice, etc.) and eat! That's a great way to get a dessert in. That may be too many carbs for some preferences, but I lean more moderate carb so it works for me!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Cooking them in a covered bowl in the microwave works well too