coconut oil

Options
13»

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Just as the link above mentioned, it isn't bad for the heart in any way. People aren't typically using it because of evidence that it's specifically good for the heart. It's widely used because it's a healthy fat and provides lauric, capric, caprylic and other unique fatty acids that are quickly metabolized for brain energy and aren't stored as body fat.

@Sunny_Bunny_ If I understand you correctly you are stating coconut oil has some unique fatty acids relative to other foods. A quick search of common names of fatty acids in coconut oil reveals the following: butyric, caproic, caprylic, capric, lauric, myristic, palmitic, and stearic. Of these, which ones are unique to coconut oil? I liked up another food group or food item I discussed last week with a lifter and he said the food we discussed has the following fatty acids: caprice, merits, palmitic, margarin, and stearic. As you can see there is quite a bit of crossover of the fatty acids. I'm curious about 2 things (1) What is unique about the list for coconut oil fatty acids AND (2) Where did you research your information?

BTW: I search nutrition data for information about foods types and micronutrient and MACRO nutrient breakdown. If you have a chance it would help people in this thread and lurkers to understand the benefits we perceive from foods like coconut oil.

Your list for bacon does not include caprylic, capric, caproic, butyric or lauric which are specific fatty acids that are referenced as the beneficial ones. More specifically, as I mentioned, is caprylic acid for quick brain energy that the liver does not have to break down further before its utilized. So the bacon fatty acids that are in common with coconut oil, are not special in this way.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Just as the link above mentioned, it isn't bad for the heart in any way. People aren't typically using it because of evidence that it's specifically good for the heart. It's widely used because it's a healthy fat and provides lauric, capric, caprylic and other unique fatty acids that are quickly metabolized for brain energy and aren't stored as body fat.

@Sunny_Bunny_ If I understand you correctly you are stating coconut oil has some unique fatty acids relative to other foods. A quick search of common names of fatty acids in coconut oil reveals the following: butyric, caproic, caprylic, capric, lauric, myristic, palmitic, and stearic. Of these, which ones are unique to coconut oil? I liked up another food group or food item I discussed last week with a lifter and he said the food we discussed has the following fatty acids: caprice, merits, palmitic, margarin, and stearic. As you can see there is quite a bit of crossover of the fatty acids. I'm curious about 2 things (1) What is unique about the list for coconut oil fatty acids AND (2) Where did you research your information?

BTW: I search nutrition data for information about foods types and micronutrient and MACRO nutrient breakdown. If you have a chance it would help people in this thread and lurkers to understand the benefits we perceive from foods like coconut oil.

Your list for bacon does not include caprylic, capric, caproic, butyric or lauric which are specific fatty acids that are referenced as the beneficial ones. More specifically, as I mentioned, is caprylic acid for quick brain energy that the liver does not have to break down further before its utilized. So the bacon fatty acids that are in common with coconut oil, are not special in this way.

You failed to mention the unique ones in your post above. The reason I looked them up was to find which were 'unique'. Are there other foods that have MCT's in them which provide similar benefit to the coconut oil? Does a MCT act like a carb more then a fat?

• _Terrapin_
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Finally, here's another thing to consider -- regardless of diet (even if the diet is completely devoid of fat), the body will turn excess calories into fat at proportions of about 5-10% polyunsaturated, 40-50% monounsaturated, and 40-50% saturated. In other words, even if you don't eat any fat, whatsoever, any time the body burns body fat, nearly half of what it's burning is saturated fat.

If saturated fats are so terrible, why does the body rely so much on them?
    We have saturated fats in our body so that our fats will be more solid at 98.6 degrees F, not for our heart health. The presence of PUFAs and MUFAs keeps our fats softer at body temperature. We can make the fats we need, aside from the essential fatty acids. Saturated fats, generally the longer chain variety, are not a good thing in your arteries.

The evidence for coconut oil for heart health and weight loss is intriguing, but not as good as the evidence for olive oil for heart health. I have high cholesterol, and I'm thin. I prefer to use olive oil, which is mostly monounsaturated fat, as much as possible, not because fats in the body are about half monounsaturated fat, but because of the studies showing that olive oil is good for cardiovascular health. If the evidence for coconut oil becomes equally strong, I'll be happy to eat more coconut oil - the stuff is delicious.

(2) quick questions: How high is high for cholesterol? And, do you use light olive oil or does the amount of or type processing not matter to you? Footnote: My neighbor has high cholesterol: north of 240. She has high HDL(above 100 I think), low try number, but then a high LDL number. Her next visit and bloodworm will reveal particulate size. She has discontinued her statin, is off her blood pressure med also. So, more curiosity for me. She is also 64 YO and healthy albeit for the smoking.

There are a few threads in the recent past of people sharing their changed / improved cholesterol panels after months or years on a LCD that you might find interesting. I'll see if I can find some...

ETA I hope people don't mind my linking to their success stories.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10089227/over-50s-ladies-our-special-needs#latest @jumanajane had a large improvement. :)

@wabmester has had some very good results. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257118/sodium-blood-pressure-and-the-russian-nephrologist/p1

Fist link has only 53 pages. I'll get back to you in June. I'll have to read a few pages at a clip. And wabmester's is about the Russian. I vaguely recall someone discussing the issue with doctors from Eastern Europe and their views versus other countries. Interesting stuff.

Sorry. Sorry. Page 52. Lovely labs shared.
    Phew, thanks. First 6 pages were mostly about someone who at day 47 had more symptoms then most people have ever experienced. I hope things worked out for her.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    Ah, page 52 and 53, good stuff. The complexity of the various parts of the LDL's is fascinating. Complex and tricky but fascinating nonetheless. Somewhere on page 52 the woman had a cardiac event. Her blood panels look good so this sort of takes us back to 'it is one part of the picture' with heart disease.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    @_Terrapin_ the articles below touches on some of the points in the book I mentioned above. If coconut oil actually increases our rate of metabolism that may be one reason it permits eating more calories without weight gain. I wish I had the money to sponsor some real well controlled clinical trials because the drug companies have no reason to do so. My gut fat is the last place where I need another 20+ pounds. It has already melted off over the rest of the body.

authoritynutrition.com/coconut-oil-and-weight-loss/

eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/nutrition_news_information/can_coconut_oil_help_you_lose_weight%20

bodybuilding.com/fun/the-fat-burning-fat-the-coconut-is-natures-premiere-thermogenic.html

Well, if we can agree on TDEE and the 4 parts of it, BMR, NEAT, EAT, and TEF. Every place I've read TEF is the least impactful for the equation. BMR is #1, NEAT is #2, EAT is #3, and TEF is #4. So TEF--Thermic Effect of Food is somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7% of total TDEE. Is coconut oil burning as an MCT creating a 10% increase of TEF? So, 5.5% to &.7% of TDEE increases someone consuming 3,000 calories daily at maintenance an opportunity to have 15 to 21 more calories. Seriously? Could you imagine someone being so precious in their intake that they'd see a change in caloric rate of CI at 15 to 21 calories? Are there foods which provide a more efficient TEF...sure. Do they make much difference in the equation? Nope. And this is just one variable.

NOTE: NEAT- - Non Exercise Activity Thermogenisis.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Perhaps it appeared that I meant it was the unnamed fatty acids that were unique specifically??? But I meant the ones that I named as well as some unmentioned ones...
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Perhaps it appeared that I meant it was the unnamed fatty acids that were unique specifically??? But I meant the ones that I named as well as some unmentioned ones...

Well, of the four you listed as unique to coconut oil caprioc provides 101 mg in fatty acid which is relatively low and does not exist in bacon. Lauric acid (of the others you listed) is the highest fatty acid in coconut oil. I'm not sure the health claims from the fatty acid can be adequately or scientifcally proven but lauric can also be found in palm kernel oil, cinnamon oil, and goat's milk. To what degree I'm not sure but I've heard palm kernel oil has about the same amount as coconut oil. So since, 2010 coconut production for the secretion has grown considerably and since demand is outstripping supply(age of coconut trees and ability or inability to grow trees quick enough) you may see a climb in cost so alternatives may useful. Best of luck.