Gallbladder Removed?

2»

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    Started reducing carbs <100 last winter and had to have my gallbladder out at the end of March. They don't say "fat, female, fertile, forty, and fair" for nothing!

I started LCHF around April and have not had any issues. My fats mainly come from animals, cheese, butter, real mayo, nuts, and avocado oil.

Now, during my foray off plan during the holidays, I noticed a few phantom gallbladder pains. I am chalking it up to healthy fats versus man-made, unhealthy fats.

I had mine out at the age of 25, 2 days after giving birth to my 4th child in 5 years. It went horrible, horribly bad about week 31 of that 4th pregnancy. I was in fact fat, female, (super freaking) fertile and fair (brown hair, blue eyes, freckles). I'm still not 40 though, lol.

High-fat diet, even with IFing (I naturally don't want to eat in the morning an many days can be happy with one meal when I am on plan) causes me no problems at all.

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Best article I have come across re: gall bladders and LCHF: http://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb. I still have my gall bladder.... mostly because after my ultrasound to determine the "cause" of these attacks, it was the surgeon that provided my diagnosis of being full of gall stones and trying to schedule the surgery (this was approximately 3 months after converting from SAD diet to "real food" aka good bye low fat everything). I said no... I needed to absorb the information and research. I still have my gall bladder (presumably still full of stones but no further test to confirm), but have not had an attack for well over a year. The first four months of converting of SAD was bad... has been great ever since.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Why does losing weight appear to be associated with gallstones and then gallbladder removal? I am coming up on 50lbs lost and am now worried! I am fat and female, 42 and fair-ish.... I don't want gallstones! Will read the article suggested by @kimberwolf71 and see if that settles me down. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Why does losing weight appear to be associated with gallstones and then gallbladder removal? I am coming up on 50lbs lost and am now worried! I am fat and female, 42 and fair-ish.... I don't want gallstones! Will read the article suggested by @kimberwolf71 and see if that settles me down. :)

I didn't realize it was until reading about everyone's experiences on here.
    I had mine out when I was 16 years old and had over 100 gall stones! My surgeon said I was the youngest patient he ever had. It took me about 3 years of testing for all sorts of possible stomach issues to get diagnosed and I remember they did it because they just needed to "rule it out". Lol
    My parents thought I was faking so I could miss school since they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I remember after a trip to ER and getting no answers, my Dad was so mad because he thought I was either making it up or exaggerating. He went on and on about my $5000 tummy ache until they finally found the issue. Then he felt like a big jerk! Lol
    Anyway, mine is not the typical experience. But I was raised on pizza and Mexican food!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    @Sunny_Bunny_ lol...but I bet he felt terrible!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

I didn't realize it was until reading about everyone's experiences on here.
    I had mine out when I was 16 years old and had over 100 gall stones! My surgeon said I was the youngest patient he ever had. It took me about 3 years of testing for all sorts of possible stomach issues to get diagnosed and I remember they did it because they just needed to "rule it out". Lol
    My parents thought I was faking so I could miss school since they couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I remember after a trip to ER and getting no answers, my Dad was so mad because he thought I was either making it up or exaggerating. He went on and on about my $5000 tummy ache until they finally found the issue. Then he felt like a big jerk! Lol
    Anyway, mine is not the typical experience. But I was raised on pizza and Mexican food!

Might not be typical, but that sounds almost identical to my husband's experience, though his was only drawn out a year, and his physical symptoms didn't allow for parental denial. When a 16 year old boy can't hold down pizza, you know something's wrong!