What happens to your body if you don't rest after lifting heavy?

Options
48 hours seem like a long time to wait. I like the split idea because I need to do something everyday, even if it's active recovery. But 48 hours hits me right in my motivation. I though if I knew the why's of it I could understand enough to accept why I need to take a break, instead of just doing it anyway and finding out the hard way. I don't want to hurt myself.
I'm really trying to get into a good groove with the best info. I can. There are so many routines and programs, I really want to lift heavy and do complexes. So that is where I am now. I know I've asked questions a lot lately and everyone has been super great with their advise and experience. I'm really just trying to figure it out for myself. I appreciate all help

Replies

• katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I'm not a fitness professional, this is just my opinion blended with what I've gathered from years of reading and asking questions. There's 2 key concerns with not getting rest. The smaller concern is that if you go into a workout tired and already sore, you're probably not going to be able to perform to full potential. You'll probably tire quicker or not push yourself very hard, so you'll miss out on the benefits. The bigger issue is that if you go in sore and tired, you risk injuring yourself. You might not use correct form because of weakness or pain and end up accidentally hurting yourself, or exacerbating minor tears in the muscle by overusing it.

Splitting up your workouts is a good way to keep working out while minimising that risk. My typical week looks like this:
    Day 1 - back & biceps
    Day 2 - core/abs
    Day 3 - active recovery (walking)
    Day 4 - chest & triceps
    Day 5 - legs
    Day 6 - active recovery (yoga)
    Day 7 - total rest
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • heather0renae
    heather0renae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another aspect to this equation is that your body needs the rest to repair and rebuild the muscle stronger than before. That being said, I personally don't wait 48 hours usually. I tend to do a general whole body strength training day, rest a day, go again, unless I start my workout and find I have no energy/something hurts/heart rate is too high for what I'm doing (all signs of over training).
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered, the repair work down outside the gym (at rest) is as important as what you do in the gym. That said, a split really helps get most body parts hit twice a week. Rest also helps you lift week in and week out, without burning out the first few weeks. :)
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    katnoir1 wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I'm not a fitness professional, this is just my opinion blended with what I've gathered from years of reading and asking questions. There's 2 key concerns with not getting rest. The smaller concern is that if you go into a workout tired and already sore, you're probably not going to be able to perform to full potential. You'll probably tire quicker or not push yourself very hard, so you'll miss out on the benefits. The bigger issue is that if you go in sore and tired, you risk injuring yourself. You might not use correct form because of weakness or pain and end up accidentally hurting yourself, or exacerbating minor tears in the muscle by overusing it.

Splitting up your workouts is a good way to keep working out while minimising that risk.

I'm a fitness professional and agree with all of the above. I personally do a full body routine, mostly for muscle endurance, three days per week because I'm busy with two kids and it works better for me. I do yoga in between and on active rest days. :)