Thoughts on LowER Fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea with heavy cream gets my fat up without raising protein. Or just adding butter to my meals. It also keeps me fuller so I need less calories overall.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    The coconut oil and heavy whipping cream are my breakfast fats. Cheese, bacon and eggs are other sources.

@kmhaley81 The first six weeks on LCHF I did not lose/gain any weight but I was losing inches. Give it 90 days. Yes I know some lose a ton the first month but that did not happen in my case. I was about 6 months losing 30 pounds but I was eating about 2600 calories daily but no sugars or grains.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @kmhaley81 - I'm sure you don't feel like it, but 2.5 years is short. My baby weight stayed on for 16 years...and that baby grew also! Indeed true story.... too many conversations with others asking when the baby was due. Didn't want to embarrass them by saying, "hey, I'm not pregnant, just fat...". So, keep up the logging and double check the calorie counts on packaging. I've found a large variation between entries on MFP. Other advice here seems golden!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    kmhaley81 wrote: »
    I guess I'm a little confused about lowering my protein and increasing the fat. What are some ways you guys do this? To me, the easiest way to do that would be cheese. It's also hard to get out of the mindset of less protein because the dr that originally diagnosed me with PCOS and insulin resistance 10 years ago harped on low carb high protein.

Thanks again for the help. I'm 5'4 and 188 lbs as of this morning. I carry almost all of it around my stomach, typical of PCOS, and I'm really trying to lose the last 30 pounds of baby weight. Ahem. My daughter is 2 1/2 now.

If you're keeping your carbs low and your protein capped, the only thing left to elevate is fat.

I find things that have the fat/protein ration that fits nicely within my macros. Cheese and nuts are the two biggies. I also keep cans of olives around in case I need calories, but can't add more protein. Salad dressing (or sour cream on odd things) also work well.

Consult with your doctor about protein consumption. With insulin resistance, you should make sure your blood sugar is in the normal (not prediabetes or diabetes) range before you go overboard with protein. A December study (the first one to track prediabetes strongly suggests that kidney damage from elevated blood glucose starts much earlier than doctors have been assuming, and that many people with prediabetes are also in the early stages of chronic kidney disease. Since high protein is hard on kidneys, you should get complete information so you can make an informed decision. Nothing your doctor could have known 10 years ago when he suggested high protein.
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @neohdiver - those are very good points. Where did you see this study? As a diabetic, I'd really like to investigate that further!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Cheese was mentioned... Cheese can derail a fair number of us - it does me. It's rather annoying how many calories cheese can hold. That's an easy spot for me to have calories creep up. That and nuts. Mmmmm. Nuts...

Ah yes....Macadamia nuts....does me in, every time!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great replies! I do eat a lot of cheese so I will take that into consideration from here on out. I guess I'm a little confused about lowering my protein and increasing the fat. What are some ways you guys do this? To me, the easiest way to do that would be cheese. It's also hard to get out of the mindset of less protein because the dr that originally diagnosed me with PCOS and insulin resistance 10 years ago harped on low carb high protein.

Thanks again for the help. I'm 5'4 and 188 lbs as of this morning. I carry almost all of it around my stomach, typical of PCOS, and I'm really trying to lose the last 30 pounds of baby weight. Ahem. My daughter is 2 1/2 now.
    I eat fairly moderate protein but add fats to my meats: butter on steak, mayo and cheese on a burger, sour cream and avocado on taco meat, full fat salad dressings on veggies or as a dip. Stuff like that.

You could also look up fat bombs. They are basically fat candy to help boost fat intake - especially helpful early on. I just made a batch of 24 that had 1c coconut oil, 1/2c peanut butter, about 20 drops of stevia liquid, some macadamia nuts of peanuts, and 6 Tbs of cocoa. I made them in an ice cube tray. Yum. There are a ton of good recipes out there.

When protein gets above about 20% for me, my blood glucose starts to get affected, and so does my appetite... And the scale. I let protein get up to 25%, and carbs above 30g, and I stopped losing for many weeks. I do better to keep my protein intake modest, and my carbs lower... I think I am pretty carb sensitive. Darn insulin resistance.

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    @neohdiver - those are very good points. Where did you see this study? As a diabetic, I'd really like to investigate that further!

I haven't yet found a direct link to the full research article, but here is a summary from a reputable entity: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_156445.html. Here is a link to the publication (they charge for the full article): http://www.ajkd.org/article/S0272-6386(15)01389-X/fulltext
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    I guess I'm a little confused about lowering my protein and increasing the fat. What are some ways you guys do this? To me, the easiest way to do that would be cheese. It's also hard to get out of the mindset of less protein because the dr that originally diagnosed me with PCOS and insulin resistance 10 years ago harped on low carb high protein.

If you're keeping your carbs low and your protein capped, the only thing left to elevate is fat.

I find things that have the fat/protein ration that fits nicely within my macros. Cheese and nuts are the two biggies. I also keep cans of olives around in case I need calories, but can't add more protein. Salad dressing (or sour cream on odd things) also work well.

Consult with your doctor about protein consumption. With insulin resistance, you should make sure your blood sugar is in the normal (not prediabetes or diabetes) range before you go overboard with protein. A December study (the first one to track prediabetes strongly suggests that kidney damage from elevated blood glucose starts much earlier than doctors have been assuming, and that many people with prediabetes are also in the early stages of chronic kidney disease. Since high protein is hard on kidneys, you should get complete information so you can make an informed decision. Nothing your doctor could have known 10 years ago when he suggested high protein.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm overly cautious/paranoid when I'm upset over the fact that my morning fasting glucose creeped up over 100, or when I mention the fact that glucose is technically a neurotoxin, but then I see things like this and realize that the aggregation of things that I've read over the years that have given me the knowledge to realize that even if my 110 readings aren't actively damaging now, if I let them continue unchecked, it's going to be causing damage even before I get an "official" diagnosis of anything.
    Thank you everyone for your great replies! I do eat a lot of cheese so I will take that into consideration from here on out. I guess I'm a little confused about lowering my protein and increasing the fat. What are some ways you guys do this? To me, the easiest way to do that would be cheese. It's also hard to get out of the mindset of less protein because the dr that originally diagnosed me with PCOS and insulin resistance 10 years ago harped on low carb high protein.

Generally speaking, when people (especially doctors) go the "high protein" route, it's because they've been indoctrinated into the "fat is bad" camp (as so many people are). So, if fat is (supposedly) bad and you need to minimize it, and now carbs are killing you and you need to minimize them, the only thing left is protein. Unfortunately, low carb, plus low fat, plus high protein causes a whole mess of problems of its own, because the body doesn't run very well on protein alone in the long run. It needs fat and/or carbs for fuel (very overweight people can get away with it for a while, since they're burning a ton of body fat, but as the weight drops, the need for dietary fuel macros increases).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    neohdiver wrote: »

Sometimes I wonder if I'm overly cautious/paranoid when I'm upset over the fact that my morning fasting glucose creeped up over 100, or when I mention the fact that glucose is technically a neurotoxin, but then I see things like this and realize that the aggregation of things that I've read over the years that have given me the knowledge to realize that even if my 110 readings aren't actively damaging now, if I let them continue unchecked, it's going to be causing damage even before I get an "official" diagnosis of anything.

That's how I feel, exactly. I get quite annoyed when my FBG is over 100. I brought it up on a diabetic forum and most people just pooh poohed it. My doctors were quite unconcerned too and gave me the "we'll monitor it" line. I felt a bit like a worry wart so I keep it much more to myself now.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across a reference to a Japanese study that showed that there was evidence of beginning stages of retinopathy even in non-diabetic, lean people with A1C between 5.2 and 5.4. If you go looking for information about normal A1C results in that range, you find an aweful lot of pre-diabetic or diabetic people talking about how upset they are that their doctor didn't realize that their "normal" result was actually a sign of insulin resistance.