What are your goals?

Options
DeeDiddyGee
DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
I want to send the following message out to the Universe, as I believe we are all exactly where we need to be (to learn life lessons) at any given time. I will manifest my success by holding myself accountable.

WEIGHT
My first "mini goal" is to get to 200. I hope to do this by the end of January.

My "goal" chart looks like this:

By the end of (month):
January 200
February 190
March 180 (I would be happy here forever)
April 170
May 160
June 150

EXERCISE
To complete the C10k in the time intended by the program developers. So far, so good.

...and YOUR goals are?....

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    One of my first blog entries after re-starting MFP at the beginning of this year.
    ===
    The Never Ending Journey
    I wrote the following in my journal May 4th 2010
    ---
    I've lost nearly 60 lbs so far, but I had to stop looking for the end of the journey (which still seems so far away) because the end of my journey will never happen (stay with me now).

I've lost weight on diets before and when the diet ended, the weight came back. I've now changed my mind-set to accept that this is a never-ending journey for me. I will always need to watch my calorie intake. I will always need to weigh every single day. I will always need to track my weight trends and adjust my intake to prevent weight gain. This weight loss journey will only end when my journey through life ends (and I'm not in any rush to get there!).

Coming to that realization was hard, but it lifted a great burden off my shoulders once I accepted it. I'm no longer looking down the road at some mystical end-point. I live now, today. I still have goals I'd like to achieve, but it doesn't matter if those goals are reached this week, this month, or even this year. As long as I am traveling down the road in the right direction, I'm content.

It is the journey, not the destination, that is important.
    (Arthur Ashe is most often cited for a quote very similar to this.)

David
    ---
    My journey has come full circle. Time once again to lace up my hiking boots and take on the challenge.

David
    ===

So, while I do have goals, I don't have dates.
    1. Get out of the "Obese" BMI range. Don't put much stock in BMI but I hate, Hate, HATE seeing mine in that range.
    2. Pass the Army Physical Fitness Test (for the challenge).
        Army Phsyical Fitness Test goals for a 56 yr male 70 in tall.
      • Maximum Weight: 192 lbs (I need to lose 22 lbs to qualify. My goal weight is 7 lbs under max at 185 lbs.)
      • Maximum Body Fat: 26% (I need to drop two more points to qualify.)
      • Minimum Push-ups: 20 with good form within 2 minutes. (Check. Easy-peasy.)
      • Minimum Sit-ups: 28 with good form within 2 minutes. (Check, but just. Something to work on.)
      • 2 Mile Run: Under 19:48. (Mybe after finishing my 10K app and losing 22 lbs.)
      After qualifing I will continue to work on improving my APFT score. Minimum passing score is 180. Perfect score is 300 (means 56 push-ups, 66 sit-ups {both with 2 minutes}, and 2 miles run at a 14:42 pace for me.) The last time I did this (five years ago, about a year after after my knee rehab) my best score was 235 out of 300.
    3. Of course, complete the 10K app.
    4. Increase my 5K pace to a competitive 30 minute range.
    5. Maintain my goal weight of 185 lbs FOR-EV-ER! (This still leaves my BMI in the "overweight" range but I don't care!)
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    One of my first blog entries after re-starting MFP at the beginning of this year.
    ===
    The Never Ending Journey
    I wrote the following in my journal May 4th 2010
    ---
    I've lost nearly 60 lbs so far, but I had to stop looking for the end of the journey (which still seems so far away) because the end of my journey will never happen (stay with me now).

I've lost weight on diets before and when the diet ended, the weight came back. I've now changed my mind-set to accept that this is a never-ending journey for me. I will always need to watch my calorie intake. I will always need to weigh every single day. I will always need to track my weight trends and adjust my intake to prevent weight gain. This weight loss journey will only end when my journey through life ends (and I'm not in any rush to get there!).

Coming to that realization was hard, but it lifted a great burden off my shoulders once I accepted it. I'm no longer looking down the road at some mystical end-point. I live now, today. I still have goals I'd like to achieve, but it doesn't matter if those goals are reached this week, this month, or even this year. As long as I am traveling down the road in the right direction, I'm content.

It is the journey, not the destination, that is important.
    (Arthur Ashe is most often cited for a quote very similar to this.)

David
    ---
    My journey has come full circle. Time once again to lace up my hiking boots and take on the challenge.

David
    ===

So, while I do have goals, I don't have dates.
    1. Get out of the "Obese" BMI range. Don't put much stock in BMI but I hate, Hate, HATE seeing mine in that range.
        Army Phsyical Fitness Test goals for a 56 yr male 70 in tall.
      • Maximum Weight: 192 lbs (I need to lose 22 lbs to qualify. My goal weight is 7 lbs under max at 185 lbs.)
      • Minimum Push-ups: 20 with good form within 2 minutes. (Check. Easy-peasy.)
      • Minimum Sit-ups: 28 with good form within 2 minutes. (Check, but just. Something to work on.)
      • 2 Mile Run: Under 19:48. (Mybe after finishing my 10K app and losing 22 lbs.)
      After qualifing I will continue to work on improving my APFT score. Minimum passing score is 180. Perfect score is 300 (means 56 push-ups, 66 sit-ups {both with 2 minutes}, and 2 miles run at a 14:42 pace for me.) The last time I did this (five years ago, about a year after after my knee rehab) my best score was 235 out of 300.
    3. Of course, complete the 10K app.
    4. Increase my 5K pace to a competitive 30 minute range.
    5. Maintain my goal weight of 185 lbs FOR-EV-ER! (This still leaves my BMI in the "overweight" range but I don't care!)

Great goals. Great attitude. Great mindset. So glad you are my MFP buddy. Keep on trucking!
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My goals are to eat better, exercise more (complete PiYo), and my weight goal is somewhere between 135 and 140. I hope to get there before June (Beach trip! :))
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    @determined24girl Absolutely!! I'm addicted to salt water and its been too long since my last fix.

Which beach you goin' to?
  • determined24girl
    determined24girl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Myrtle Beach. I haven't been in 2 years, and if I don't make it this year I may go crazy :tongue:
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Myrtle Beach. I haven't been in 2 years, and if I don't make it this year I may go crazy :tongue:

I hear you on THAT! Nothing better than the beach!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Great post, @d_thomas02 !

• Orphia
    Options
    My goals:

Lose the final 4 kg
    (have lost 29 kg since April 2015)

Run 5 km in less than 30 minutes
    (PB so far is 33:48)

Run 10 km
    (Did 7 km on 30 Jan, but have sore hip muscles since then)

Maintain my healthy weight range for life
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    My goals:

Lose the final 4 kg
    (have lost 29 kg since April 2015)

Run 5 km in less than 30 minutes
    (PB so far is 33:48)

Run 10 km
    (Did 7 km on 30 Jan, but have sore hip muscles since then)

Maintain my healthy weight range for life

You are ROCKING it, @Orphia !
  • Orphia
    Options
    Thanks, Dee!
  • Diantha21
    Diantha21 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh my word, Orphia...since last april??? this is amazing....:) no it is astounding!! I must get up off my bum and use this site properly!!
  • Orphia
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Diantha21 wrote: »
    Oh my word, Orphia...since last april??? this is amazing....:) no it is astounding!! I must get up off my bum and use this site properly!!

Thanks! I've learned a lot from the MFP forums.

I highly recommend reading the "most helpful posts" in this link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads
  • d_thomas02
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Orphia, I took the liberty of quoting your link on our 'Must reads' thread.
  • Orphia
    Options
    @Orphia, I took the liberty of quoting your link on our 'Must reads' thread.

Good job, @d_thomas02 !
  • d_thomas02
    Options

Check. Hit 26% this morning. :D
  • d_thomas02
    Options

Check. BMI today is 29.96, no longer in obese range. B)
  • Orphia
    Options
    Well done, d_t! You're doing really well!
  • Diantha21
    Diantha21 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I think you are all doing wonderfully and cannot thank you for all you support, i was going to add my goals, since I have finally awoken, however I just read this:

If you announce your goals to others, you become less likely to achieve them because you lose motivation, studies show – As early as 1933, tests have shown that once intended goals are announced aloud, people are less likely to follow through with them as they lose motivation. This is thought to happen because announcing one’s goals satisfies a person’s self-identity just enough to prevent them from performing the hard work to achieve those goals.

tumblr_mztjszANiw1sdrik6o1_500

and now decided against it, I will however be beavering away and doing my best to keep focussed.

Take care all :) and well done all on here xx
  • junebb
    junebb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thats very interesting @Diantha21 - I always find that personally, telling others my goals keeps me accountable. Once its put out there in the world I feel more of a drive to accomplish. If I keep it to myself its not as real.

With that being said- I had a short term goal of being able to fit into a dress that came in a mail order and couldn't zip up. Not even close. This morning it fit! (barely... but I know I'm on the right track) :wink:

My mid-way goal is to run a race with my husband this spring/ summer. And to look great at our family trip to the beach this summer, and not cringe at all the photos or worse- sneak out of them. I want my kids to have more pictures of their mom to look back on! Even if I don't like the way I look in them it's who I am.

Long term goal is maintenance. My daughter's bat mitzvah is in June of 2018, and I want to get in shape now and stay in shape for her celebration, and then her sister's celebration two years later. So a lot of maintenance! Once I get healthy I want to stay there.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    Options
    Lots of great stuff going on here! Kudos to ALL of you!