Pre-training for cross-fit

Options
Quinnstinct
Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
I'd like to get into cross-fit, the problem is I'm so out of shape I can't run more than 30 seconds, going up a flight of stairs leaves me sweaty and squats might confine me to bed for a week. I'm barely exaggerating. I'm really out of shape; I sit all day then sit again when I get home. Which means I can only get more active right? Realistically at this point I can't walk into a cross-fit gym even for the beginner class without most likely seriously hurting myself.

So I think I should pre-train. For those who are doing or have done cross-fit what do I need to be able to do for the most basic class? I'm guessing a warm up jog- how far? Squats? Push-ups?

Any and all suggestions, advice, and personal stories are more than welcome. I want to be a bad *kitten* at some point in my life, why not start now and do it though cross-fit?

Replies

• momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm in horrible shape. I'm starting my CF on-ramp program on July 1st. :) Every good box should have a similar how-to program that teaches you the movements. And everything can be scaled to your ability. You absolutely do NOT have to pre-train.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    my opinion:
    No, don't pre-train. Just get on board. sit down with the coaches and share your fitness level and possible anxiety. Ask them for modifications for every single workout.
    We literally have a one legged man in my box. A 400 lb man (who is now 300 lbs) - he gets a custom workout for every workout.

Its not about being a serious competitor - its about competing with yourself regardless of your current ability.
  • xstarxdustx
    xstarxdustx Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    No pre-training necessary, but there are body-weight only wods listed on the web if you want to try those first.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    My husband went from sedentary, couldn't do a single burpee to CF. has been doing it a year now. The workouts are VERY scaleable.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    No pre-training necessary, but there are body-weight only wods listed on the web if you want to try those first.
    Where on the web would you find these?
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Where on the web would you find these?

http://cfmoncton.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/comprehensive-bodyweight-workout-list-v15.pdf
  • Juliste
    Juliste Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Pre-train is not necessary. In my center, we all had start at a beginner's phase I to learn the technique, etc. regardless of fitness level or age and you just move on from there. Not to worry - Enjoy!
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by this, I'm worried about injury and not getting my money's worth because I can do so little. Something to think about for sure.
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    I started last week. I can't even do a burpee lol, and I can't keep up with all those athletes and I was going to wait to lose another 30lbs before I started. Never worked out like that in my life! I hurt like hell!! but for some reason I plan on going back! If I can do it anyone can!!
  • AshleyPaleo
    AshleyPaleo Posts: 121
    Options
    Also every move I was showed I told the guy, "I can't do that. that's nuts!" and then I did it =)
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with what everybody has already said. there is no reason to pre train you could just go right in and take the onramp class. there are plenty of men and women in my box who are way out of shape and are still working hard. the workouts are completely scaleable so you can get through everything one way or another. plus if its like any other box I'm aware of you should get plenty of support and encouragement from the other members and coaches, not to mention I'm here from all the other CrossFit members who post
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was COMPLETELY out of shape when I started. The firs thing they did was put me through a fit-test. That helps them--and you--know where you're starting from. Every single thing is scalable, seriously. I'm so much better than I was, but now I'm dealing with some injuries. Running, lunges, squats...all off-limits. I get a custom workout every time I go (4x/week), but I'm still busting it every time.

Just do it! :flowerforyou:
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Also every move I was showed I told the guy, "I can't do that. that's nuts!" and then I did it =)

^^^this. You'll find that you CAN do way more than you think!