Cleaner: Corn or White Potatoes?

Options
Chief_Rocka
Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
Just curious which would be the better choice for dinner. Thanks.

Replies

• flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I would choose the white potato. It's kinda gross when you see whole pieces of corn when you have to do your business.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    White carbs trigger an insulin response stick to corn
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    Why not try one one night, and try the other another night and see how you feel? That said, did you know that a person can subside entirely on potatoes: http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2012/12/the-potato-diet.html

Of course, I don't advocate subsiding on only potatoes (mostly because it seems excessively monotonous). Your best bet I think is to not stress about it because personally, I think eating clean should be enjoyable and there's no need for unnecessary restrictions.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I would say corn.
  • kathrinoutloud
    kathrinoutloud Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    ...neither! Both are GMO products! Corn is the most genetically modified crop out there.
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    Health Benefits of Corn

This popular food is high in fiber. In fact, it's notoriously hard to digest. But its insoluble fiber is tops at tackling common digestive ailments (like constipation and hemorrhoids) by absorbing water, which swells the stool and speeds its movement.

Corn is a surprising source of several vitamins, including folic acid, niacin, and vitamin C. The folic acid in corn is now known to be an important factor in preventing neural-tube birth defects. It's just as important in preventing heart disease, according to studies that show folic acid can prevent a buildup of homocysteine, an amino acid, in the body. Long-term elevation of homocysteine has been linked to higher rates of heart disease; folic acid helps break it down.

Potatoes are nutrient-dense, meaning you receive many nutrients for the amount of calories they have. The fiber is half soluble, half insoluble, so it helps to keep you regular and helps to lower cholesterol. And slowing down digestion helps to keep you full longer. Phytochemicals in potatoes include flavanoids and a recently identified compound called kukoamine that appears to help lower blood pressure.

With the exception of vitamin A, white potatoes have just about every nutrient. Did you know potatoes are full of vitamin C? However, since we do not eat potatoes raw, most of the vitamin C is lost due to the heat of cooking. In addition, one baked potato offers about 20 percent of the daily recommended amount of vitamin B6, which is good news for your heart. They are also very high in potassium, beating other potassium-rich foods. They are a good source of iron and copper, too. In fact, a potato a day is good for your heart, promoting normal blood-pressure levels.

As it turns out, the bad rap belongs to the toppings and preparation methods we often use to turn potatoes from a healthful food to a fatty, salty snack. The health-conscious will want to bake, not fry, and be conscious of the nutritional value of the oils, toppings, and condiments that touch our spuds.
  • aliciamhosein
    Options
    ...neither! Both are GMO products! Corn is the most genetically modified crop out there.

not 100% true. I live in an area surrounded by farms all of my produce is fresh and not a GMO
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

not 100% true. I live in an area surrounded by farms all of my produce is fresh and not a GMO

Can it not be fresh and GMO?

I don't think corn ever existed naturally without human intervention, therefore isn't all corn GMO?
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Corn is GMO, potatoes are not (yet). Either way--go organic if you can! I eat both.
  • conniedj
    Options

I don't think corn ever existed naturally without human intervention, therefore isn't all corn GMO?

Corn absolutely existed before hybridization. GMO is =/= hybridization. Why? Hybrids cross pollinate to get a specific characteristic. Genetic modification inserts a foreign gene to that species ( insect, virus, bacteria) to try to get a specific characeristic. Hybridization happens in nature, as well as a lab. GM only happens in a lab--never nature. HTH!
  • aliciamhosein
    Options

Corn absolutely existed before hybridization. GMO is =/= hybridization. Why? Hybrids cross pollinate to get a specific characteristic. Genetic modification inserts a foreign gene to that species ( insect, virus, bacteria) to try to get a specific characeristic. Hybridization happens in nature, as well as a lab. GM only happens in a lab--never nature. HTH!

• fabdancr1
    fabdancr1 Posts: 3
    Options
    How can you generically say that corn and potatoes are GMO??!??!

It depends completely on the source. I bought both at my farmers market yesterday and both were organic. Buy from local growers, get to know your farmer and ask lots of questions. You'll find that non-GMO corn and potatoes are available and affordable.
  • conniedj
    Options
    Potatoes aren't legally produced as GMO--so there are not on the market to purchase. BT Corn (sweet corn) was introduced last year. Stores like Walmart carry it.....primarily grown in the western midwest states!

I absolutely agree--if you buy--buy local! Potatoes are on the dirty dozen list---so prioritizing organic is good! If corn is conventionally grown ( and non-gmo), it is ok to eat as well. I personally prefer all my produce to be organic--and as local as possible!