I Made IT! Totally OT of LCHF

Options
SoosannahK
SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
So this has entirely nothing to do with our WOE or anything food related other than I may upchuck my snack of guac and cheese "crackers". I am somewhere in between scared, excited, nervous and shocked.

As a lot of you frequent posters(especially on the late night workers posts) know on here, I am a paramedic. My lieutenant retired in December and my old FTO (field training officer) got her position, leaving a FTO position open. Well my new Lt talked me into testing for that position. I am not a good tester. My nerves wrangle me every time. Yesterday was the written testing. I took the most horrible, god awful written test yesterday for this position. I was pretty certain I had failed. I haven't calculated IV drip rates (that's what IV pumps are for!!) or how long a cylinder of oxygen will last if X patient is on it Y amount of time at Z liters (You change out when its getting low!!). I have been out of paramedic school for 12 years. We forget that kind of stuff after we pass our state boards. What you really want us to remember is our drug dosages. Those are the important stuff!

Anywho, my Training officer told me yesterday when I turned in the horrible, god awful written test that he would call me after lunch today after testing had ended. 12 of us testing, only 6 will make the cut to go to the final process. He hadn't called by 3pm so I figured I was on the bottom of the "sorry you didn't make it" list. But I made the top 6!! I have to prepare a 45 min or less presentation, do a formal interview, a role play scenario, and QI some charts. I want this job as it is a step up the career ladder for me, but I also don't want it because I love my partners and stations and I would have to leave my boys behind. And what terrifies me is some of the higher ups think I am a shew in for this position, but they don't know how bad I suck at role play scenarios. But I will go and do my best and hope for the best. And in the end, I know that I tried my hardest.

I just wanted to share my good news with all of my friends here! I am off to prepare my presentation. I only have 2 1/2 days!!!

Replies

• Hispanicprincess
    Hispanicprincess Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Good job wish you the best of luck!!!
    Funny when we think we do horrible we end up doing better than we thought!

You'll do great at your presentation!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! Congratulations!!
    But yea, calculating IV drip rates!?! Like your really going to stop resuscitative efforts to count drips! Plus, there ARE pumps that are very reliable now, lol! And duh! Don't we usually have gauges on oxygen tanks to show us the levels? That's hilarious! The "powers that be" never have their finger on the pulse of the true issues (in my experience of testing for my profession too) that we deal with!
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the test! That sounds pretty killer. My radiation therapy boards were similar- lots of math you only need to know to pass the yest, then never use in daily life.

Good luck on the next round! Keep us posted!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Breathe! Unsurprisingly we sound more confident and look more relaxed if we breathe deeply and relax a bit. Helps our brains function too!!!

You thought you'd suck at written and you passed so why not give this your best shot and use it as a learning experience?. Being less attached to the outcome might help you embrace your role and have some fun with it. Wish you every success!
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Congrats and good luck!!!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Breathe! Unsurprisingly we sound more confident and look more relaxed if we breathe deeply and relax a bit. Helps our brains function too!!!

You thought you'd suck at written and you passed so why not give this your best shot and use it as a learning experience?. Being less attached to the outcome might help you embrace your role and have some fun with it. Wish you every success!

I talked to my Lt shortly after finding out and she told me to remain calm and breathe...lol! The biggest part of the assessment center is not letting them get you flustered. I went into the test without ever lifting a protocol or SOG book, never studied once, because honestly it was not a big deal to me. Peer pressure got me to sign up to even take the test. Well it became a big deal today. Outside EMS agencies are coming to evaluate and of course I don't want to look the fool in front of them and embarrass our agency. But I told my Lt, that since I did make it, I was going to give it my best go. And then when it is over I know that I gave it my best shot. I am so torn between wanting this position and not wanting it, I think I gave myself a headache lol. Now that the shaking hands have subsided and my brain is a little more focused I am going to start getting my teaching presentation going. Thursday I am going to go find me something nice to wear. Friday I will go do my best. Then Saturday I think I will get drunk B) .
    Karlottap wrote: »
    That's wonderful! Congratulations!!
    But yea, calculating IV drip rates!?! Like your really going to stop resuscitative efforts to count drips! Plus, there ARE pumps that are very reliable now, lol! And duh! Don't we usually have gauges on oxygen tanks to show us the levels? That's hilarious! The "powers that be" never have their finger on the pulse of the true issues (in my experience of testing for my profession too) that we deal with!

We have 2 IV settings on the ambulance, KVO or wide *kitten* open. We use the hospital pumps when we do transfers from the hospitals for patients with medications running. If the patient does need a drip based IV medication in the field, we have ancient dial-a-flo's that will work until we get them to the ED. Not perfect, but close enough, just dont hit any really big bumps on the way in to the ED. O2 tanks, if it is in the red it needs to be changed, duh! I am certain when they create these tests, their biggest goal is to see how crazy they can drive us in 100 questions or less. :s

Thank you all for your good luck wishes!
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Good luck on the next steps!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's super exciting. It sounds like you'll be happy whatever the result, which is the greatest position to be in :)

I bet you'll knock their socks off! Best of luck to you, keep us posted!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh exciting!! Good luck! :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Congrats! Best of luck to you! :)
  • Andee2000
    Andee2000 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Congrats ! And best of luck !
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I read this the other day but didn't have time to respond--so exciting! A HUGE congratulations to you!!!