New to this idea, advice please!

Options
So I have been using MFP for a few months, since January I have lost 27 pounds, which is good, but I feel at my current weight I could lose a lot more. I don't have unrealistic expectations arounds the speed of weight loss, but I'm also ready to get healthy and want to get out of this super duper obese category.

My stats:

26 year old, woman
height: 5'7"
CW: 280

I used this scooby website to calculate as I hear this is a very accurate TDEE and BMR calculator. If this isn't true please let me know!

I typically work out 5-6 days a week, so I calculated my TDEE based on working out 3-5 hours.

My BMR: 2483
My TDEE: 3848
Subtracting 25% (I know as I lose more weight I should drop down, but I feel at this weight I could do this) from my TDEE would be 2886.

So if I understand this correctly, eating less than 2483 cal could be slowing my weight loss, and I need to eat between 2483 and 2886 to lose about 2 pounds a week. This sounds crazy to me, and quite terrifying, I'm afraid I'm just going to gain weight back by eating this much.

Love to hear feedback if I got all my math and conceptualization right, and any success stories of counting calories by this method and losing lots of weight.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It can definitely be terrifying! I am pretty much in the same boat. I started eating more this Tuesday and have yet to weigh myself, but I honestly feel so much better and full of energy.

How many calories have you been consuming? If you've been going super low cal (or below BMR) you will want to reset your metabolism by eating at TDEE for at least a few weeks (though 6-8 weeks is recommended).
  • TheGirlWhoLived11
    TheGirlWhoLived11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been eating about 1500-1600, which I thought was enough, but I see is about 800 calories below my BMR. Eugh.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Yep...same thing as me! I plateaued for 6 months from eating around 1600 cals. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou: