Another so confused & needing guidance

Options
jaws052392
jaws052392 Posts: 6 Member
Hi, long time yo-yo dieter, who has lost on everything but never kept it off for any length of time. The more I read the more I realize that I have been probably under-eating most of my life. I never understood why I would gain so much, so fast if I went off a plan, now I understand—I was eating too low calories.
I was wondering if someone could help me on where I should start or go from here. I have read and read and used so many calculators I am cross-eyed. Guess I need someone to guide me.
A little about myself:
Age 47; Weight 240. Did the fit 2 fat Body fat calc it said 28.2% (although the military calc said 52.5) I’m so confused.
Scooby: BMR 1782. TDEE 2450 Light (2762 Mod)
Fat 2 Fi HARRIS Formula : BMR 1787, TDEE light 2069 (2333 Mod)
Fat 2 Fit Katch-mCardle Formula: BMR 2059 (TDEE would be same as Harris)
I have a body media and have been wearing it faithfully since April. The report shows for the last 28 days I burned an average of 2732 per day, but based on one of the threads I read here it may not be working correctly for me.
I have no clue what I should use for my BMR or TDEE. UGH its mind boggling.
I have been consistently upping my calories from 1300 since April. The last 17 days I have been consistently eating 2000-2380 calories per day (except for 2 days which were 1700).
My weight in April was about 236, now today I am at 240. This last 2-3 days I upped my calories to 2200-2300 (from est. 2000) and went up about a lb.
I have not really started exercising due to time...full time work at home mom (desk job) with 3 kids and a hubby and a mom that I have to take to physical therapy a couple times of week. I may walk here and there. I am trying to start lifting weights, I do enjoy lifting but fell off the wagon years ago). I don’t consider myself sedentary, I would say lightly to moderate, I believe.
I am really wanting this plan to work, I don’t think I can ever go back to eating such low calories a day.
Any direction or help is so much appreciated. Thanks so much!

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Personally, if you have a BMF, I would go with that reading as opposed to the calculators to figure your calories... The only thing it is really poor at calculating is weight lifting, and since you aren't doing that, it *should* be fairly accurate. I would use your BMF average and work off of that number.

Since you have a long history of yo-yo dieting and low calorie dieting, you could probably benefit from a re-set. I would go ahead and bump up to your TDEE and stay there for a couple of months. Yes, your weight will bounce around, but consider it an investment in yourself. Once your weight stabilizes, then just start a moderate 10 - 15% cut. also, remember to take a TDEE "diet break" every couple of months, just to "remind" your body of what its TDEE is...

I would also try to get in a little bit of exercise. Not only will that help the whole weight loss process, but it really does wonders for one's mental outlook. Anyone can squeeze in a 1/2 hour workout or walk into their day. I have a very busy life and wake up at 4am to make sure I get mine done every day before I leave for work at 7am. Although it is hard to hear that alarm and stand up to go lift something heavy, it truly starts my day off on the right foot. Try to find a little bit of time for yourself -- that will help boost your metabolism as well...
  • jaws052392
    jaws052392 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your help! I'm currently at 2200-2300 calories still have a long way to go and I've gained 5 lbs already and at the highest weight I have ever been. Still can't imagine eating 2700. I have started walking again in the mornings, only 1-2 miles. Starting to lift this week at home making up my own routine. Should I eat those calories back from strength training? Or just stick with my tdee?
    Thanks again for your help!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    When you calculate your TDEE, you exercise is included in that figure, so no, don't eat back those exercise calories.