New to the group

Options
My name is Summer and I just found this group. I am planning on doing my second half marathon on October 9th. I am building myself back up to running after life took me on an emotional roller coaster.

Replies

• jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck with your training.
  • ASkipp89
    ASkipp89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I just found this group! I have signed up to a half marathon 9 October @DefyGravity1977 we have the same goal :smile:
    I can just run a 5k now!
  • suzu_2
    suzu_2 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Running my first in December. Have been training over the summer, but running in July/August and 98 degrees is not optimal - lol. Humidity here feels like running through a sponge. Today is our first cool, dry day in months! about to head out for a log run with my running buddy. Praying the weather will help.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Welcome all. I'm currently boring the group with "Training for a Half Marathon is September, and all around fitness" in the group. Give it glance and add your stories. Three weeks out ;-).

Keep going and enjoy.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    New to the group as well. FIrst HM is bought and paid for.... April 2017!!!! Time to get busy... set my mind.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am new to group as well...just got green light to run again about a month ago after foot and knee injuries. Hoping I'll have my mileage ready for a half marathon in May. Good luck to everyone in their training!
  • caroannv
    caroannv Posts: 40 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi - another new member here - signed up for my first half marathon on 8th October. Doing an 11km trail run at the end of April as well (first since 1993!). Wish me luck - I have a lot of training to plan and do.
  • pondee629
    Options
    Welcome and good luck. And, remember, enjoy the run.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello! Just discovered this group!! Currently training for my second half in May
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    welcome, and good for you ... too addictive, just signed up for another one in September, which I hope to be running with one of the MFP members :)

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    Coming up:
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    welcome, and good for you ... too addictive, just signed up for another one in September, which I hope to be running with one of the MFP members :)

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    Coming up:
    • 01/05 - Milton Keynes HM
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM

I know, I signed up for this half the day after completing my last one!!!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    well I never knew this group existed (apparently I did as I am already a member of it!!)

wish I'd realised this before my first HM last Sunday (May 8th) but in for good ideas for my 2nd HM on 30th July.

My first HM time was 3hrs 7 minutes or something (it was a HMish course) so anything quicker than that is a bonus!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    my half is on Sunday...

and i have signed up for another one in September, which i am regretting slightly as i have an injury so Sunday might not be pretty! :disappointed:
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I'll be running in my first ever half in December. A MFP member kindly pointed this group out to me, and since I'm lurking, I decided I would at least introduce myself.

I'm a total newbie. My version of running has consisted of hopping on a treadmill for 2 miles as my form of cardio. I've never actually run a race before. I've got a couple 5Ks planned in August and October, but the main thing I'm training for is the half in December.

I got my first pair of running shoes (vs the trainers I wear for strength training and the little bit of cardio I do) this week, and also started jogging outside. I quickly found out that the ground doesn't give like the treadmill belt, but it was still fun. Nice scenery passes the miles quicker. I actually look forward to going further. My longest run stands at 2.9 miles at the moment so I've got a long way to go ... it's actually pretty scary thinking about running 13.1, but I'm determined
  • pondee629
    Options
    Welcome. Pick a plan and enjoy the run.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for a HM and plan to run it on my 50th birthday! I start the Higdon plan on Monday!
  • nicole325
    nicole325 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for a half on October 14th and another on November 17th. What training methods are you all using? There is so much information out there, it's hard to not get overwhelmed. Also - any tips on running two within a month of each other?
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am new to this particular group, but have been doing the monthly running challenge since June.

I am 50 and I am planning on running my first 1/2 marathon in November around Thanksgiving. I have been running about 10 months and presently run about 25-30 miles a week. The only races I have done are three 5K's last spring. I do have my first 10K I signed up for on Aug 24. My longest run I have done without stopping is 11 miles and that was at a 10min/mile pace. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good 1/2 marathon training plan. I'm considering Hal Higdon or the one for novices listed on the Runner's World website. Any other suggestions?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi, just joined this group, have done C25K and ran a 10km.

Have signed up for half marathon in July and just looking for advice - am off to peruse the posts :D
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Hi, just joined this group, have done C25K and ran a 10km.

Have signed up for half marathon in July and just looking for advice - am off to peruse the posts :D

The long distance runners group is better. This one never had much participation in my experience