TMI: poop

Options
One issue that I have had is inconsistent bowel movements aka constipation. I'm accustomed to pooping everyday so not that I'm going every 2 days or so, I'm worried. I have psyllium husk but it doesn't work and I don't like using the smooth moves tea because I can make to situation worse long term. Any idea?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements often help and most people in N. America are deficient in this mineral. Google the combo of words and check on the best form of mag for your situation.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husks/powder actually tend to stop you up...not the reverse which is why when you make and eat a recipe that contains this ingredient you should drink LOTS of water to help move it through better. Just fyi. What % of fat are you getting per day?
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    For me a handful of almonds every day tends to keep things moving. But I also just discovered quite by accident that MCT oil ( or fractionated coconut oil, got it at target) is a mild laxative. I added some to my coffee in the morning and in the afternoon things were definitely moving!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think there is a link in the launch pad with info on this. Going infrequently is different from constipation. If you are not experiencing discomfort from it then there is no need to worry. It's common on a very low carb diet to not have as many bowl movements as you did on a sad.

Eta: yes make sure to get enough fat that'll get things moving too
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husks / powder actually have the exact opposite effect...they tend to stop you up which is why when you make and eat a recipe that contains a lot of this ingredient you should drink LOTS of water to help move it on through! lol If you don't mind me asking, what % of fat do you aim for on a daily basis?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think there is a link in the launch pad with info on this. Going infrequently is different from constipation. If you are not experiencing discomfort from it then there is no need to worry. It's common on a very low carb diet to not have as many bowl movements as you did on a sad.

This ^^^ for sure.
    Just because you go less frequently doesn't mean you're constipated.
    Inconsistent bowel movement may also be known as constipation... But on low carb, things don't move the same as you're familiar with. There's simply less waste to remove.
    That said, it could be real constipation. I have this trouble when I eat too much cheese or protein. I know when I'm feeling kinda heavy in my gut and I usually put on a couple or four pounds! Lol
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Psyllium husks/powder actually tend to stop you up...not the reverse which is why when you make and eat a recipe that contains this ingredient you should drink LOTS of water to help move it through better. Just fyi. What % of fat are you getting per day?

I do try to drink a lot of water with it. Maybe not enough. 70-80% of my diet is fat
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Magnesium supplements often help and most people in N. America are deficient in this mineral. Google the combo of words and check on the best form of mag for your situation.

I have heard that magnesium works. Thanks. I totally forgot about that.

This ^^^ for sure.
    Just because you go less frequently doesn't mean you're constipated.
    Inconsistent bowel movement may also be known as constipation... But on low carb, things don't move the same as you're familiar with. There's simply less waste to remove.
    That said, it could be real constipation. I have this trouble when I eat too much cheese or protein. I know when I'm feeling kinda heavy in my gut and I usually put on a couple or four pounds! Lol

I am not having any pain, so I guess my concerns are slightly lowered. The idea of having digested food sit and rot in me is wear I'm most concerned. I do have a tendency to go over protein and I eat lots of cheese
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back a little on the cheese and supplement the magnesium.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Try cutting back a little on the cheese and supplement the magnesium.

This definitely helps me. I have to take 750mg of magnesium oxide to get back to normal if I'm already feeling that heavy, full gut from overdoing things. And drinking more water than normal with it. That's what makes it work. It will pull water to it as it's going through the pipes. Magnesium citrate also works and maybe other forms too.
    I already have 1Tbs a day of MCT oil and haven't tried adding more to get the result from it, but I do understand that's very productive as well. I don't get the effect from just 1Tbs but I'm sure it's helping things on a smaller scale on a daily basis.
    I think the best plan is to get a little of those every day, they're good for you in a bunch of other ways anyway, and just increase them on days that need it. It's a new way to manage being "regular" from what we used to do. But our definition of regular often changes too. Not because we get used to constipation but because we understand that it's not always actually constipation at all and just less waste matter overall.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I started running on the treadmill. 3 miles last night, 2 miles this morning drinking 64 oz. of water and I am completely cleaned out today. Something about raising my body temp, drinking all that water and probably just the shaking did it for me.. Hope everything works out :)
  • Kimpadula201
    Kimpadula201 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Doesn't just drinking salt water act as a laxative? Not as a frequent thing but just for a "cleanse" .. I was thinking of doing it I was just about to google it before I saw this
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I used to go every day, too. In the early days of Keto, I still added a tablespoon of milled flaxseed to salads. I forgot to add it for a couple of days and that's when I realized I didn't need it. I don't go every day now, but rather every two or three days. It's fine, though, because with very few carbs, there's not as much waste. I do strength training, walk every day, drink lots of water, take a mag supplement, and shoot for 70-75% fat. I think all of those factors contribute to my regularity.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    it also can be effected by where you are at in your cycle, in the second half when progesterone is high it can cause constipation for some, as your TOM approaches and progesterone drops it will tend to get things moving again. it's possible multiple factors are at play. but again if you are not uncomfortable or feeling like you have to go and can't, then you are most likely fine and your body will adjust to this new normal.
  • kasperwasper2016
    kasperwasper2016 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Personally, potassium was the fix I needed. I was already taking long walks, drinking a lot of water, supplementing magnesium & getting enough salt but failed to take potassium seriously.

Supplements were a bit pathetic in the dosage & most were prohibitive re: pricing so I bought "No-Salt" and mix 50/50 with table salt.

Problem solved - and what a relief it was. :)

Edited to add that psyllium husk made the issue much much worse. I highly recommend making sure your electrolytes are sorted before bulking up an immovable mass. :o
  • obki45
    obki45 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wow thats everyone interesting reading, I have IBS and other bowel problems this was great- drinking more water i am going to try!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I am not having any pain, so I guess my concerns are slightly lowered. The idea of having digested food sit and rot in me is wear I'm most concerned. I do have a tendency to go over protein and I eat lots of cheese

Except there isn't really digested food just sitting in your colon. It's all been absorbed. That's why there's not as much waste. There's not as much getting to the colon to begin with.

Have you ever cared for an exclusively breastfed infant for long periods of time (at least half a day, if not more)? One thing you'll find interesting is that the range of normal bowel movement frequency is anywhere from several times a day to only once every few days. This is because the baby is able to absorb and utilize nearly all of the nutrients in the breast milk, so there's very little waste.

In other words, our bodies are equipped to handle only having a bowel movement once every few days, especially when the nutrient density per volume of food is higher (as it typically is on LCHF).
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information. I've ordered some magnesium.