Free weights equipment question

Options
southpaw211
southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
Hi everyone,

I'm beginning lifting weights via the Chalene Extreme program with dumbbells. I've got a week left in the 90 day program, although there is the option to complete an additional 30 day phase. I guess it depends on how heavy I get by then. I'm currently only at around 10-12 pounds for most exercises. I'm also a beginning runner, which I do for about 30 minutes on the off days, with one rest day per week.

Once I've built up a little bit of strength, I'd like to start using free weights. My husband has an old weight bench from college 15 years ago with a barbell and plates, though I'm certain on his college kid budget it wasn't anything spectacular (ie, definitely not an Oly bar). Do you think I could use that effectively to start Stronglifts or NROLFW? Due to living in a very rural area, I can't get to a gym and I don't have the funds to even buy used equipment at the moment (got to get my daughter a cello for school in the fall with those funds) - maybe in another year. But in the meantime, will I be able to perform those routines with what I've got? In addition to the bench with the barbell and probably 100 pounds worth of plates, I have adjustable dumbbells that go to 25 pounds each.

Thanks for any input!

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't see why you wouldn't be able to do NROLFW (or at least a variation of it) with the equipment you have.

The fact that you have a standard bar, rather than Olympic, is probably going to come in handy, as standard plates are usually very cheap (compared to Olympic plates anyway), and you can always purchase more down the road if you so choose and have the funds (and if your bar supports them, depending on its limit).

Also, Stronglifts and NROLFW aren't your only options. Nia Shanks has a variety of programs available you can check into that will probably work with what you've got available.

Matter of fact, doing Stronglifts (which is back squat heavy) without at least a rudimentary squat rack is going to be very challenging, and so you would have to modify it very, very soon. I'd check into other routines if I was you. Not to worry though, there's lots of programs out there that will help you lift heavy and make nice strength gains! You just have to broaden your mind a little and check into them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • southpaw211
    Options
    I honestly don't see why you wouldn't be able to do NROLFW (or at least a variation of it) with the equipment you have.

The fact that you have a standard bar, rather than Olympic, is probably going to come in handy, as standard plates are usually very cheap (compared to Olympic plates anyway), and you can always purchase more down the road if you so choose and have the funds (and if your bar supports them, depending on its limit).

Also, Stronglifts and NROLFW aren't your only options. Nia Shanks has a variety of programs available you can check into that will probably work with what you've got available.

Matter of fact, doing Stronglifts (which is back squat heavy) without at least a rudimentary squat rack is going to be very challenging, and so you would have to modify it very, very soon. I'd check into other routines if I was you. Not to worry though, there's lots of programs out there that will help you lift heavy and make nice strength gains! You just have to broaden your mind a little and check into them.

Thanks for the insight! I looked up Nia Shanks' website - wow, love her! I'm definitely going to be spending some time reading all she has to say. It will definitely be helpful! :happy:
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You can totally use the weights that you have. I would recommend not skipping the squats though and building a rack or a couple of saw horses to let you do those exercises. It won't cost too much if anything, and squats are a very important exercise.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Here's an at home solution to needing a squat rack. The material costs are around 150 dollars:

IMG_20130623_181046_zpsc650bb5c.jpg

I pulled the plans off line, let my husband review them, and he built this in a Sunday evening for me.

It works very well. I had him buy a couple more bolts that he can put on the outside of the rack for when I do rows or OHPs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What increments of dumbbells do you have?
  • southpaw211
    Options
    I have been using 8 pounds just for triceps work, most of my other sets I use 12 or 15 pound dumbbells. I just purchased a set of adjustable dumbbells that go up to 25 pounds each in 5 pound increments though. I'm doing Chalean Extreme, and I know in the next phase (that I start this coming Monday), she pushes heavier weights with failure at 6-8 reps, so I wanted to make sure I had enough resistance for when that begins.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry for the delay. Rebumping so I get back to this one.
  • southpaw211
    Options
    No problem! Just doing my thing til I finish out the program anyhow. :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    One further question: Do you have someone who can spot you and/or help you get the barbell to shoulder height.
  • southpaw211
    Options
    Yep, my husband will do that as we usually work out together.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry, this fell through the gaps. Will get to today.