Increasing carbs to 40-50g...confused about macros

Options
missmegan831
missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
Hello everyone... Under doctors care for insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes& hypothyroid.. I have been following the Keto eating plan since November of last yr and have lost 57 pounds and no longer on medications for IR or Type 2.... My doctor suggested increasing my carbs to 40-50 grams per day (3 wks ago I was suppose to start this) to add in more veggies and some low sugar fruits.. I still wont be eating breads, pastas and sugar stuff...

My question is.... increasing my carb macro.... which one do i decrease, the fat or the protein to offset the increase?? She never said and she is on vacation for 2 wks and I would like to have started this increase before she gets back... any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance.. Thanks

Replies

• missmegan831
    Options
    Anybody???
  • resilient86
    Options
    What are your macros at before the shift? I also am working on reducing my carb intake as I'm IR, hypothyroid and have PCOS. My doctor has encouraged me to keep my protein at 30-35% and have fat be about 50%. My doctor specializes in diabetes (as she is a type II diabetic herself). I'd like to see what other people's responses are as well.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Try this calculator! http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    It was developed for keto, but you can put any carb level in. It will help you identify the right calorie, protein, and fat targets, and the associated MFP % targets.
  • missmegan831
    Options
    Thanks for the link Kira... I was confused thinking that was for 25 and under... I will definetly check out the numbers.

Currently my macros are set at 5% carb, 75% fat and 20% protein... but the doctor says its time to increase carbs a bit to allow for more veggies and some fruits.. we will see how it goes.. I've been under 20 grams a day for 6 months now so Im curious to see the change... (yikes, LOL)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    My guess is that both protein and fat might come down.

Mine shifted from 70-25-5 to 60-30-10 with this kind of change.
  • missmegan831
    Options
    If I opt for 40 grams carbs it comes out to be 10% C. 20% P 70% F. I think I will give this a try for a month a keep track of any noticeable changes.. Thanks for your help as always Kira... Im sure I will need it again soon xx
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I take it out of my fat because my protein is calculated as 1g/lb of lean mass which is a specific number. I still get plenty of fat so I figure no harm in taking it out of there.