Vegetarian Low Carbohydrate/ Keto/ LCHF - URGENT

Options
d090882
d090882 Posts: 148 Member
Please tell something interesting about your
1. experience, 2. any tips, 3. advise, 4. what worked for you, 5. what do you eat.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There are only a couple of vegetarian low carbers in the group but I would advise you to look through the "my low carb foods" thread to see some of the non meat things that they and the rest of us eat regularly.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Bump.
    Come on guys. Help him out.
    Also, in the meantime, google "vegetarian keto."
    Check out:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GOgxLJy3Txl5hdzBYfUEJlpTggNcoNnPv7pqLGya1h0/edit?pref=2&pli=1
    https://www.reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo

I'm hoping the subreddit has some posts that will help you out.
  • AshleyC1023
    AshleyC1023 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2015/01/03/Keto-Diet-Food-List-What-to-Eat-and-Avoid

There's a list at the bottom of this page, it breaks it down by type of food (vegetable, fruit, etc) so you could probably take from that list what you need and leave the animal fats/proteins that you don't eat.

I'm not really up on vegetarianism, so don't know if you eat eggs/dairy.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    My sis is a vegetarian but not lc, we're trying to brainstorm lol. I'd say eggs for sure. I looked up nutrition on tofu and it seems to be pretty lc as well. Cheese of course and lc veggies. Fat you can get from butter and oils.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of hummus and it doesn't seem to mess up the weight loss even though there are a lot of carbs in it.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't know where our LCHF vegetarians are. They're usually here more often. I hope they can chime in for you soon!

I'm not vegetarian, and don't know how they do it for sure! My recommendations would be to stick with lower carb veggies, cooked in coconut oil (or butter, if you eat that). Sorry, I don't know how else to help you!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Why is this URGENT?
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is pescatarian and makes it work. She gets a lot of her protein from eggs, fish, and nuts. She gets most of her fats from, oil MCT oil, and avocados. The hardest part for her was not eating any fruits and eating out. Matt eating meat makes low carb harder but not impossible.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for two years prior to LCHF. Kind of odd since my eating plan now is so heavily meat based.

Thinking off the top of my head, I would choose low GI vegetables cooked in fat, like a vegetable curry where the veggies are cooked in coconut oil, then finished with a coconut milk sauce. Riced cauliflower would be great with that.

I'm thinking that you could add fats such as olive oil, coconut oil, etc to all meals to ensure you are getting enough fat. Many of us here use various forms of cauliflower in place of rice or potatoes, and vegetables such as zucchini, cabbage and spaghetti squash in place of pasta. Even shiritake noodles could be used.

Do you eat eggs and dairy ? If so, protein requirements would be easier to achieve since starchy legumes such as beans and lentils would likely be limited if aiming for lower carbs. Heavy whipping cream and cheese would be great additions.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Just like a carnivore, you'll want to stick with low carb veggies. There are plenty of healthy, vegetarian fat options - avocados & coconut oil, plus many more. The only challenge you'll really face is your protein - if you're not vegan, hopefully you like eggs. You'll probably want to make a veggie omelette one of your meals each day. Though I wouldn't recommend eating a ton of cheese, as too much can cause digestive problems, it's another suitable source of protein and fat.

Though I'm eating lots of meat right now, in my previous low carb efforts (and during my non-low-carb life), I've often gone meat free, sometimes I just get tired of it.

Here's an example of what I'd eat:
    • Breakfast - veggie omelette w/ mushrooms, spinach & cheese cooked in ghee.
    • Lunch - green leafy salad w/ a spring onion, couple of grape tomatoes and some cucumber with a creamy full fat dressing and a low carb protein shake (just make sure it's vegetarian)
    • Dinner - Shitake mushrooms & asparagus sauteed in ghee & olive oil (that combo makes the mushrooms crisp up a bit if they're sliced thinly) with a poached egg on top.
    • Snacks: Quest Bar (most are about 7 grams of net carbs, though not sure if they're vegetarian), celery w/ an ounce of cheese.

Hope that helps.
  • dbz9
    dbz9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian LCHF here. It isn't totally easy, I find I'm having to accept getting more carbs than I'm supposed to from the veggies. I do get great protein from my fishy sources but even on the days where I'm veg only, I can rely on eggs and cheese and some meat substitutes (tofu, etc.) I'm new to this, so not sure I'm the best resource but I've got open diary if you want to friend me. Look around the fish stuff if you're full veg.

Good luck!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Just an idea, although I'm not vegetarian - what about meat-substitutes for protein, for example Morningstar Grillers or Gardein meatballs?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Tofu, seitan, black soy beans, and tempeh are all high in protein relative to their net carbs. It's going to be a heck of a lot easier if you can do net carbs, not total carbs. That means that you subtract grams of fiber from your total carbs. I'm trying to get more protein from plant sources, although I'm not a vegetarian.
  • landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I tried bullet proof hot chocolate using chocolate protein powder, but it had 7 net carbs. I bought another one with less carbs, but haven't tried it yet.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Why is it urgent and why do you want to change to Keto/LCHF?

If all you want are the generic benefits from being lc, go with the suggestions above. Basically google your favourite foods and only keep those with less than 25g carbs for 100g. Likely increase dramatically coconut oil, olive oil, avocados and eggs. You can go LCHF, I doubt you'll get consistent keto but most people don't need it anyway.

BUT if your reason to change is related to health problems, I'd first take extensive blood tests and then would seriously consider including some animal protein, at least some oily fish.

I have to tell you that I am not impartial in my advice but you also ask for experience and that I have. I was a vegetarian/vegan/macrobiotic since my teens. My favourite meal was miso soup, brown rice and spinach with sesame (big fan of Japanese cuisine here). I should be healthy as a horse. But, for me, it simply didn't work. I reasoned with myself that I would be much worse if I was not vegetarian. Sadly, it was just wishful thinking.

And it took me 30+ years and becoming diabetic to accept it. And diabetes was the easiest of my problems to reverse. I'm still dealing with hormonal chaos, severe deficiencies in some nutrients and all kinds of sequelae from my body inability to process all the carbs I was feeding it.

I am not saying you can't be vegetarian and healthy. Many people obviously can, including most of my friends, and I don't know what your problems are. But if you find yourself needing to change your woe, consider the advice I got from a very wise (vegan) person: if you get sick when you could be healthy, you'll not be doing any favours to your family, the animals or the planet. Do what you have to do to get healthy.

Best of luck to you!

::flowerforyou::
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I grew up lacto-ovo vegetarian, so I'm familiar with the vegetarianism side of it, but not with eating LCHF as a vegetarian. One time I tried to do a vegetarian version of Atkins, but I didn't know enough about it and quit when I started getting headaches and dizzy spells a few days in (probably keto flu, now that I know what I know). That said, I haven't always (and don't always) loved eating meat. When I first started eating LCHF I would use meat substitutes like Morningstar Farms veggie burgers and such, just keeping an eye on the carb counts and picking the lowest carb options. Some people are sensitive to soy products, though, so it's important to watch that. As previous commenters have said, there are good protein and fat sources like eggs and dairy, but if you don't eat any animal products at all, I'm at a loss. Some of my favorite dishes, even now, consist primarily of vegetables and cheese (and butter), like portobello mushroom "pizza" (mushroom caps with sauce and cheese), cheesy creamed spinach, loaded cauliflower, etc. There are lots of recipes out there that would qualify as lower carb but also be vegetarian.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Tofu really isn't bad as far as carbs go, a ratio of 10 g protein to 6 g fat to 2.3 g carbs. That won't get you to keto, but it's a much better ratio than whole milk yogurt has. It's a better ratio of protein to carbs than Greek yogurt has, and it's truly a plant sourced food. If eating vegetarian is more important to you than ketosis, then tofu is a good option.
  • MilllieMoo
    MilllieMoo Posts: 88 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm vegetarian . feel free to have a look around my diary :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Just like a carnivore, you'll want to stick with low carb veggies.

(Pet peeve time)

Non-vegetarians are not generally carnivores. They're omnivores. Carnivores, by definition, do not have plants as a staple in their diet.

Calling non-vegetarians carnivores simply because meat is included in their diet is kind of like calling non-carnivores vegetarians simply because vegetables are included in their diet.

Sorry, that just bugs me.

(/pet peeve time)