as well as a strong woman, who are you?

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
Spotting nuggets of other people's lives has brought out my curiosity... Anyone feel like sharing?

As well as becoming a BAMF, I am:
Lydia, hi!
mum to 2 girls, Hannah who is 6 and Kate who is 4
Wife to Dan, better known as "the huz" on here
an HR bod for a luxury hair care company (this is funny because I am very low maintenance!)
almost 6' tall
a keen if sporadic cook (usually baker)
an English lit graduate who rarely reads because I can't put books down!

:-)

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Nice topic :)

I'm....
    neandermagnon (i.e. what you get if you cross a neanderthal with a cro-magnon)
    a palaeoanthropology nerd (in case that wasn't obvious from the above lol)
    trying to be a freelance writer and I have a palaeoanthropology blog: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/
    a biology teacher according to my qualifications
    currently working as a private tutor (mostly English as a foreign language) and marking IELTS exam papers but I'd rather be teaching biology (not that what I'm doing isn't fun though)
    eccentric
    average height for a neanderthal woman (154cm) with the body proportions to match (especially the mahoosive rib cage)
    a mother of 2 girls aged 3 and 6
    a British expatriate living in Bahrain married to an American who's a naturalised Brit
    from a family of Londoners, but have lived in many different cities and don't have a home town
    a former ice hockey player (defencewoman) who'd love to play again
    a wannabe palaeoanthropologist (would like to do an MA and PhD one day and then be a research scientist and teach uni students and do a bit of freelance writing on the side)
    someone who really likes to eat curry. (That includes both authentic Indian/Bengali/Pakistani home cooked food, and the British curry house style Anglo-Indian style curries such as vindaloo.)
    unique
    :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm Amber.
    Navy wife stationed on the Florida/Georgia line
    Former art teacher (left on disability)
    Chronically ill
    Painter (watercolors mostly)
    Currently shopping for my first house
    I'm a big planner and I like to have an organized schedule-- so the navy life is a great fit! /sarcasm
    Lover of science fiction, especially the classics
    Lover of pugs (I have two)
    Beachcomber extraordinaire/shell collector
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    Lovely idea - hello! peeps

I'm a hermit (why stay in the house 24/7 don't mind if I do....) ,
    I'm scottish,
    i'm a dog mum 2x jack russells
    I'm a HUGE reader and love anything from trashy teen novels to fact books and everything inbwteen
    I'm a list & number obsessive
    I'm dyslexic
    I'm weird
    I'm covered in tattoos
    I adore action films
    I love change - even moving furniture makes me happy
    I'm a worrier
    I'm a great listener
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I am Ellie
    Born in Zimbabwe, moved to the UK when I was 21, got married when I was 24, had two kids then was divorced, lost my mother all before the age of 30.
    Mother of two, boy 11 girl 14
    Care worker
    Studied to uni level but never did get the degree in Humanities with English
    Love reading, writing and observing life
    Introvert (shy and unassuming until I get to know you)
    Love the outdoors, camping, getting the wind, rain, water and sand in my hair
    Low maintanance verging on tomboy (used to play soccer with the next door neighbours' kids and rugby with brothers' mates)
    Love taking part in sports rather than watching
    Was a keen hockey, netball player and team swimmer at school
    All rounder, good at sports and academic stuff
    Have a boyfriend who I am not going to marry, been with him for 6 years this year
    Not sure what I want to be when I grow up!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Lovely idea - hello! peeps

I'm a hermit (why stay in the house 24/7 don't mind if I do....) ,
    I'm scottish,
    i'm a dog mum 2x jack russells
    I'm a HUGE reader and love anything from trashy teen novels to fact books and everything inbwteen
    I'm a list & number obsessive
    I'm dyslexic
    I'm weird
    I'm covered in tattoos
    I adore action films
    I love change - even moving furniture makes me happy
    I'm a worrier

I'm a great listener

The first bolded statement made me think "you might like being a Navy wife." The second one made me think "hmmm maybe not" :laugh:
  • inkysmurf
    inkysmurf Posts: 168
    Options
    he he he he :-)
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Oooo, fun!

My name is Kira - hello!
    I'm 39.
    Adopted our daughter Iris when I was 36 - we have an open adoption and visit her birthfamily often.
    I raise chickens and tolerate 3 cats.
    I have a BA in theater (design and stage management) and an MFA in sculpture.
    I was a tenure-track professor in ceramics and sculpture before my daughter was born.
    I'm trying to be a good target archer, but I don't get much time to practice.
    I love post-apocalyptic fiction (see above. :smile: )
    Huge BTVS, Firefly fan - if Joss does it, I'm probably in love with it.
    I love making stuff from scratch - currently on tap - curing bacon, brewing kombucha
    I was told when I was 6 that I just 'wasn't that athletic.' Proving that statement wrong, if a little late.
    I have lived in Michigan, Kentucky, North Carolina, near Epsom in the UK and Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm having a fairly involved affair with my friends Ben & Jerry (ice cream brand for you non-USA folks) :smile:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hmmm..

My name is Jen.
    I am 33.
    I have a son who will be 5 in a month.
    My hubby and I have been married for almost 12 years.
    I have two Bachelor degrees, one in Business Administration and the other in Information Science and Technology, but I got them 6 years apart.
    I live in the woods, and have been known to deer hunt from my bedroom window.
    I've been an acting single parent for the past 10 months while my hubby has been on an away assignment for work. I should have him home again this weekend :bigsmile:
    I have a border collie that we got from a working farm in England.
    I like to golf, but only get to do it once or twice a year.
    I'm seriously considering competing in powerlifting.
    My favorite show that is currently on is 'So you think you can dance' and now my son is hooked on it as well.
    Grew up playing softball, soccer, and basketball. I have always been on the athletic side of things.
    I am currently doing software development as my profession.
    I LOVE Superman and Star Trek.
    I have a very odd sense of humor and find that I am only humoring myself most of the time.
    I love beer, bacon, ice cream, and chocolate chip cookies.
    I know a bit about Scotch Whiskey and have been to the Scotch Whiskey Heritage Museum in Edinburgh twice.

OH...and I like long walks on the beach and dinner by candle light. :laugh:
  • jogirlruns
    jogirlruns Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hopping on...

I'm pretty new here and I don't post much, but here I am.

I'm Joanne
    I'm 44 years old, 5'11", Canadian - in Southwest Ontario
    Married and started my family in my late 30's. Sowed plenty of wild oats prior to that!
    Mom of a 6 year old boy, step-mom to a 19 year old girl and 16 year old boy
    I am a clinical dietitian - working at a hospital in Dialysis and Diabetes Education.
    I love to cook and bake and take photographs (and now, lift heavy things!)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! I don't post much these days, because...well...life happens, but I'm in.

My name is Julie. My friends call me Jules.

I will be 48 tomorrow.

I work full time at the local hospital as an admin supervisor. I even like it sometimes, lol. I am also a freelance commercial photographer that had a portrait studio, but realized working 80+ hours a week wasn't working for me. Converted the studio into a gym because lifting heavy things is so much more enjoyable than cranky babies and picky moms who don't pay their bills. I also write and am a third of the way through with a mystery, and am compiling short stories for a mini-book (these aren't for the faint of heart, lol).

Married to Johnny (the hubs) for 9 years and mom to three grown sons, the last of whom is looking to move out, so we will be ecstatic empty nesters.

Grew up in California, lived in Texas, New Mexico, and now North Carolina.

Learning to love running and have two 5K's under my belt, with two more coming up.

Love food, love wine. Love the pack of 6 papillons that own me. :)
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Great idea, though I might find it very difficult to remember it all.

Hi! I´m Lea, will be 40 in a month and a half.
    I´m married to my first and only boyfriend, we have been married for 12 1/2 year. I met him when I was 26. Yes, that´s very late for a first boyfriend, but I grew up not feeling the need for anybody, liked to be alone and just wanted to be free and independent, living my own life without being limited by others.
    We don´t have any children- by choise- but we have two dogs, siberian husky.
    I´m an early retired due to a mental condition. I used to be very social and very active, now I some days struggle just to get by. Lifting is a great help!!
    I´m normally very positive and enjoy life within my limitations, wich I find very hard to accept.
    I use this site a lot. I´m very fond of my friends here and I´m thankful that they let me share a part of their life, no matter how little.

Thank you for hearing me out. :o)
    BTW, I´m from Denmark.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    In!

I'm Amy! 31 and live in Dayton, OH. I'm the oldest of 3 girls (my poor dad :happy: ). My one sister lives close and has 3 step-kids and she and her husband adopted a baby last year (he's 1 1/2 now). My other sister is in the Army and is currently in S. Korea, but should be back at the end of the year. She and her husband live in Connecticut.

I'm getting married in March next year (if I can get something planned). @ Lea, my finace and I didn't get together until I was 28. He's my first serious relationship, though there have been other casual ones.

No kids, but I do have a cat and nieces and nephews. The kid issue is up in the air. Neither of us really care either way.

I have two Master's degrees that have been a giant waste of money.

I have two part-time jobs: one as an Admin assistant at the electric company (the one I was freaking out about yesterday) and a librarian at a career college (which I hate more than anything). My fiance is going to school and looking for a job, so things tend to be a little stressful. Lifting calms the monkey-chatter.

Was an Air Force kid so we lived in several places, mostly on the East Coast. We have family scattered all over, so road trips were our summer vacations.

I'm sarcastic, a little bit cynical, and distrustful of people's intent. I like cracking jokes even if I'm the only one that thinks they're funny. I'm also super nosy, so threads like this make my day. :tongue:
  • Jaxster92708
    Jaxster92708 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    So fun!! What a great idea...

I am Jackie and I mostly lurk on this board, occasionally post.
    I am 47 and live in Orange County, California (really close to Disneyland).
    Love Disneyland, got married there almost 19 years ago, have annual passes but rarely find the time to go :cry:
    No kids (by choice), but we have a crazy cattle dog mix that we rescued from a local shelter and treat him like a kid.
    Have a master's degree in nursing and work in pediatrics (high risk infant follow up to be specific). Thought about teaching, but did not want to give up the clinical aspect of nursing: Too hard to "sit on my hands" and watch as students took care of the kiddos.
    Love to eat, love good food BUT you will never find me cooking...hate to cook.
    Die-hard Laker fan despite not being a big Kobe Bryant fan and their not so great choices as of late.
    Die-hard "Big Brother" fan and subscribe to live feeds and watch whenever I can.
    Perfectly happy hanging out at home reading, playing "Song Pop", and watching reality TV shows (Big Brother, court shows).

Nice to meet all of you!
    Jackie
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! *hugs all around*

I'm Dani (duh), 45 and live on Florida's Space Coast. Love it here. So much.

Born & raised in Germany, moved to the US 24 years ago and have lived here ever since.

I'm a hermit too (it's quite easy when you have an air conditioned house and a pool out back, plus the interwebs which is such a magical land :laugh:).

Trying to break myself from being such a hermit by starting a business and volunteering and crawling out from under my self-imposed rock. Been working from home as a medical editor for about a decade and getting the itch to get out and about more.

Married for 10 years to a former Marine. We have 5 kids between the 2 of us, and one we took in for a few years who is now back with his family. Of course now our kids are mostly grown and come with boyfriends, girlfriends, and a grandbaby, so our family gatherings get crowded and noisy. :heart:

I'm a rabid reader and have been since kindergarten.

I'm also a total gaming nerd. I really just love to play and have fun. Last year discovered a love of target shooting, and this year discovered a love for barbell training. I was the pudgy kid who failed at every sport she tried, so it's time to redeem her and turn her into a bada$$.

I just signed up to volunteer with a local nonprofit that works with Habitat for Humanity, and I'm looking forward to grabbing a hammer and going for it!

I'm not so great a cook (that's my husband), but I do love to bake, and push comes to shove I can make some pretty awesome Schnitzel.

We have 2 dogs currently, one is a horse at 130 pounds, the other is a min pin, both were pound puppies.

I don't really have a degree (got a banking education I'd rather just forget about, some computer/networking certs and a bit of college under my belt), but would love to get a formal psych/counseling degree some day because I do counseling as a volunteer and love it very much (and am being told I don't suck at it, which is good to hear :laugh:).

Lift on!
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    I'm Christina
    I'm 33 and am born and raised in South Carolina, although hubs (John) and I have a home in Tuscany that I would love, love, love to make our permanent residence.
    I have a 1 year old daughter Aida who is the most interesting person I know. I tend to gush, but feel free to ignore it.
    I drive an ice cream truck after a past career in banking.
    I'm about to begin the certification program to become a breastfeeding counsellor.
    I'm tremendously lazy (except when it comes to lifting, oddly enough)
    I too love So you think you can dance. I have crushes on the girls abs.
    I have celiac disease and have been gluten free for 5 years.
    I love gelato in a seriously unhealthy way.
    Yeah, that's about all I can think of. :flowerforyou:
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I'm Michele, 51 years young, and just starting SL5x5.

Married, 2 kids, divorced and married again, this time to my best friend. We have been together for 12 years.

Raised in the suburbs of Houston, lived in Austin, now live in rural central Texas and I LOVE IT HERE.

Work full time for local manufacturing company as Accts Payable manager - I love spending other people's money!

I enjoy gardening, quilting, reading and Law & Order:SVU.

Oh yeah, I have my hands full with my 6mo old blue heeler pup, Cora, who is chewing on my left hand while I am typing this one-handed with my right hand.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody :bigsmile:

I'm Cheryl
    I live in San Diego ☀ I'm a native Californian, raised in a tiny desert town. The only other place I've lived is Stockholm, Sweden.

Mom of 3 great kids: son 22 and daughters 20 &14 (and a daughter-in-law that I adore) My son is in the Air Force and I only see him once a year--if I'm lucky.

Married 24 years to my high school sweet:heart:

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. All rescues, except one.

I love writing and reading. My favorite authors range from Steinbeck to Douglas Adams. I also love romance and paranormal fiction, paranormal non fiction, medical books, fitness, cookbooks... Definitely not a book snob. I'll read the back of a cereal box if it catches my eye.

I also love action movies, caper movies, horror movies, comedies, BBC shows, and professional wrestling.

I have worked doing security clearances for nuclear power plants, as a storage manager, cleaning homes, childcare, selling crafts, painting murals, and I owned a Curves for a few years. Closed it about two years ago and am now trying to figure out what I want to do.

I've had moderate to severe asthma all my life.

I'm 5'3. I used to weigh 207+lbs. After I lost 60lbs, I went to see my asthma doc and she hugged me. Then had me interviewed in Weight Watcher's magazine, even though I didn't use that program.

I started lifting heavy in March 2012 after reading Tom Venuto's book "The Body Fat Solution" and ebook "Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle." I began with dumbbells and had brutal knee and quad pain and asthma every workout for the first 8 weeks.

I kept doing it three times a week anyway, because the best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't. Even if it's my own body telling me.

Really struggle with eating too much. I :heart: food.

I will never do another lunge if I can help it.

:flowerforyou:
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Oh yay, I love these! I've been wondering who you all are after reading through these posts for weeks!

Me, I'm Annette. I'm 47 and am Australian. I live on the south coast of NSW. If you watch River Cottage Australia, I live near there... It's gorgeous! I am married to my female partner who is a pastry chef. Our relationship isn't recognised by the government, but I don't really give a crap. I can't be bothered getting hot and sweaty about that sort of thing...

I work as a TAFE teacher, which I think is equivalent to college in the US? I teach people aged from about 16 to 71 ( my oldest student ever... OMG, she did my head in! She reminded me so much of my mother, I wanted to strangle her!!) how to be child care educators. It's an ok job. I love the conditions most of all - a 4 day week and 10 weeks of holiday a year. Yay! Tomorrow we head north to Darwin for some warmth in our bones. It's freezing down here (although not for you guys who get snow. Snow doesn't happen much around these parts).

I like eating, talking, riding my bike and now lifting heavy things. The things I lift aren't very heavy yet, but I'm working on it. I lost weight from about 93 kilos to 64 kilos. I'm now around 70kilos and would like to get back around 68 kilos (I had too much saggy skin on my legs at 64kilos) but I like eating the food. A lot. I like eating a lot and I like eating a lot of food! I prefer others to cook for me, but can knock up a reasonable meal when I want to. I used to run, but quit after about 18 months of hating it. I wanted to get that runners high,but it totally eluded me. But get me in a bike and I'm back to being a 10 year old and I love it!

That's probably enough drivel from me... Nice to meet yas!:flowerforyou:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I like eating the food. A lot. I like eating a lot and I like eating a lot of food! I

What a coincidence, so do I!

I reckon nobody gets to be 30 pounds overweight by hating food. :laugh:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I live in a tropical location close to a beach.
    I love books.
    My username comes from my location and my love of books.
    I have a daughter who has some special needs of the learning disability variety.
    I have an awesome husband. He loves to work out and he's my biggest fan.
    I've been with my husband for 23 years and married for 13 years of that time. We dated for a LONG time before we got married.
    I am introverted but not shy.
    I love coffee shops, large bookstores, and preferably a place that has both!
    I love sci-fi and geeky books and films.
    I love tiramisu, good coffee (am a coffee snob! :laugh: ), my mom's pork curry, good salads, and anything with bacon in it.
    I'm a young cancer survivor with a really good prognosis and I hope to keep it that way. :drinker:
    I hardly ever drink and have never smoked.
    I've had dogs, cats, and mini-lops rabbits. A home isn't complete without a pet and some pet hair, I say.