Quick Intro

Options
wannalookbest
wannalookbest Posts: 14 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
My name is Michelle and I too, have always been interested in making art. However, for the past 10 years I have not created any. Well, this really is not entirely true. What I mean to say is I haven't created any for pleasure. I am also interested in going freelance, and I would appreciate some advice on how you started and some tips on how to get work (to be able to live as a freelancer). To explain how I got in this "dilemna" so to speak, it is largely due to an upbringing surrounded by people who didn't show me too much support as I decided to live my life as an artist - but that's another topic right?
I may not love abstract art as much as you do, but I do like LOUISE NEVELSON's work. Some of my favorite artists are CINDY SHERMAN, ROBERT RAUSCHENBERG, GLENN LIGON, JOYCE MAILOU JONES and KATHE KOLLWITZ.
The last best piece that I created was this: y5cfmjhur9cu.jpg
This is a small sample of some of the kind of work I am doing now qzp5i3wetjsg.jpeg, it's not exciting. And here's another sample of project that I did from an online challenge - a mock-up of a website, but also not exciting: 5ezll6ej9nat.jpg.
I really miss creating art with my hands. My dream is to have a space to paint and do printmaking. When I was in college I had the opportunity to work with many different types of media, which was both a blessing and a curse. Even upon graduating I didn't know what field I wanted to get into. I had a pretty good education though I think. Seeing that I like to 3D, in addition to other types of media, I thought about going into architecture. I hear that it is hard to make money in it though. I would love to hear your perspective on that.
I had thought about teaching but I cannot afford to go back to school right now to either get a Master's or to even get a teaching certificate. I would love to make money from my artwork, but I really don't know how. I am in between jobs, looking for the right opportunity that will both make me happy and allow me the freedom to create art for a living. My 13 year old daughter is interested in becoming an artist herself. I want to support her, but I get to feeling like, "How can I teach her or help her when I am not being an artist / creating any art myself?" Robin, I know that I might have written a little too much, but I hope that we will still be able to exchange thoughts about art and life.

It is odd that I found you on MFP. I look forward to your reply and thank you for starting this group.

Take care

Replies

• SanfordRoberts
    SanfordRoberts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have not logged onto MPF in a few days and I am so delighted to find your post. I just knew there were other artists out there. Thanks so much for sharing your history. Part of the reason that I can survive as a free lancer is that I also teach at a University. I do work alot of weekend and I never quite feel like I am on top of my work. I'm currently working on two deadlines so I can't take too much time out-but I wanted to let you know that I really like the art work you posted. Is the first piece a print? It's really intriguing-I love all the textures and the tight color pallet. Is the second piece a 3D rendering? I would LOVE to be able to accomplish that but so far I have not taken the time to learn that. I draft in Autocad, but only in 2d.
    I didn't end of staying in architecture, although I think the jobs pay pretty well-certainly more than I make working in theatre-but I am never bored (maybe frustrated that I can't come up with an idea, or that I don't always agree with the directors that I work with) and i was a bit bored when I was working in architecture.
    Maybe you and your daughter could do something together, make it a tradition of 'every Sunday afternoon'... a way to spend time together and to allow for some creative bonding. My daughter used to want to make art all the time, but now-she is 16- she doesn't want to hang out with mom much anymore.
    There are so many great ideas out there online. I collect good art project ideas on pinterest, or look at art teachers websites. I used to teach some after school art classes and I was always looking for new ideas.
    Let's keep 'talking'
    Thanks again for joining the group!