Running vs. Jogging

Options
DeeDiddyGee
DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
I found this Livehealthy.chron article very interesting! I prefer sprinting vs. running or jogging. Which do YOU prefer?

You might think running and jogging mean the same thing, but in fact they are actually different. The obvious difference between the two is the pace. Jogging is defined as going at a pace of less than 6 mph, while running is defined as anything faster than 6 mph. Other differences, including how your body burns calories and how your muscles react to the two exercises, define jogging and running.Muscles
When you run at a faster pace, your feet spend less time touching the ground as you move forward. This slight difference means that your muscles are activated differently. According to a study published in the October 2005 issue of the "Journal of Sports Sciences," your pace affects the activation of the muscles in your glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, shins and calves. The study notes that the faster you move, the more your muscles are activated. The difference in muscle activation is obvious when you compare the physiques of long-distance runners with that of sprinters. Long-distance runners tend to look thin and underdeveloped, whereas sprinters have more muscular physiques.

Calories
Sprinting will also give you a better calorie burn. According to the American Council on Exercise calorie counter, a 150-pound person will burn 91 calories jogging at a pace of 5 mph for 10 minutes. That same person burns 113 calories running at a 6-mph pace and 130 calories at a pace of 7 mph. Sprinting has also proven to be a better fat burner. Another study published in the April 2008 issue of the "International Journal of Obesity" concluded that high-intensity exercises such as sprinting burn a much more significant amount of total body mass and fat mass than slower, steady-state exercises.

After-Burn
Another benefit to more intensive exercise is that it produces an exercise after-burn or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption. The more your body works beyond its comfort zone, as it does during intense exercise such as fast running, the more it depletes its oxygen reserves. Your body then has to work hard, even after you stop exercising, to restore your oxygen levels. This effort requires energy and leads to continued calorie burn up to 48-hours after you’ve stopped exercising.

Considerations
Regardless of whether you choose to jog or run, always begin your workout with a 5- to 10-minute warm-up such as walking or light jogging. This helps to warm up your muscles and slowly increase your heart rate and blood circulation. Likewise, end your workout with a 5- to 10-minute cool-down such as a walk or light jog to slowly return your body to the pre-exercise state. If you are new to exercising or have chronic conditions and are considering more intensive exercise such as longer jogs or faster runs, discuss your plans with your docor first.

Replies

• d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    I like the article.

Currently I'm jogging the run portion of the 10K workouts with additional run sprints at the end of the main workout. Just upped my sprints to 1 min. 7 mph and 2 min. 3.5 mph, four sets after main workout and then cool down and stretches.

Plan on increasing speed to a true run (6 mph) after completing the 14 week plan (at least for the first 5K).

I've always been short winded and prefer short sprints to long runs. My motivation for the long run is to increase my VO2max to improve my SCUBA time under water on one tank of air. Dive times for most divers is 45 to 60 minutes. Currently I can get 60 minutes out of a tank, but my dive partner can easily get 90 min. I dislike being the reason for cutting his dives short.
  • Diantha21
    Diantha21 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Excellent article thanks for sharing :)
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Something that's been tickling the back of my head.

While I certainly agree that running at a 7 mph pace for ten minutes can burn 130 calories, I'm doing good now pushing that pace to one minute in order to burn 13 calories. The 5 mph pace, which can burn 91 calories in ten minutes, I'm able to currently manage for 3 minutes (W3D1 complete. YAY!), and thus for me burns 27 calories. Twice that of the speedier run.

So, when it comes to total calories burned, faster is not necessarily better. I suppose that is why HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is so popular.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    d_thomas02 wrote: »
    Something that's been tickling the back of my head.

While I certainly agree that running at a 7 mph pace for ten minutes can burn 130 calories, I'm doing good now pushing that pace to one minute in order to burn 13 calories. The 5 mph pace, which can burn 91 calories in ten minutes, I'm able to currently manage for 3 minutes (W3D1 complete. YAY!), and thus for me burns 27 calories. Twice that of the speedier run.

So, when it comes to total calories burned, faster is not necessarily better. I suppose that is why HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is so popular.

Good point!

Faster is better for burns if you're comparing the same amount of time. But slower means you can run longer and burn just as many calories, if not more.