Exercise while in ketosis

yablomx10
yablomx10 Posts: 34 Member
Hi everyone,

I was curious what everyone does for exercise while on Keto? I've been reading some things online about not overdoing cardio, etc. I'm curious what has worked for you and doesn't over-stress your bodies? I used to be overly concerned with always getting my 10,000 steps in daily as my fitness tracker suggests but I'm afraid when I hit the gym I might be overdoing my cardio because I've seen a little bit of a plateau in my weight loss.

So what kind of exercises help keep you all fit and overall enhance your ketogenic lifestyle?

Replies

• wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    I lift 3 x's a week, but I follow the 5 x 5 plan, so I'm just using compound lifts to work everything and I'm never lifting for more than 40 - 45 minutes at a time. My other primary choice is swimming. Most weekdays I swim 30 - 40 minutes because I have to get to work, then saturday mornings when I have more time, I shoot for a longer swim of 60 minutes. If you are truly eating keto, and have plenty of fat in your diet, you'll have tons of energy for that level of activity.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Whether you're keto or not, you want to make sure your cardio is helping you, not hurting you:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-evidence-continues-to-mount-against-chronic-cardio/

"Can't outrun your fork" as they say.

But re: keto specifically, once you're fully fat-adapted you should be able to do cardio like a machine. No "bonking" when you're tapping fat reserves as opposed to glucose.
  • Yogi_warrior
    Yogi_warrior Posts: 5,464 Member
    Every one is different. It depends on lot of factors like how long you have been kept adapted, intensity of workout. You need to experiment and figure out what works for you. I have cut lot of fat restricting my work outs to 30 min a day, training 3 hours a day. Almost everything worked depending on feedback from my body. But, remember a well formed diet is key for losing fat and keeping hormones in balance.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yes overdoing cardio is the biggest mistake most folks make. You have to primarily focus on pumping iron, with occasional cardio as a secondary endeavor. Keep weights to 30 min max, 2-3 times a week, cardio in the form of an HIIT Sprint 8 Program 20 mins once or twice a week.