Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The price of food has gone crazy!

I went to the grocery store yesterday to pick up a few things. Mostly veggies and fruit, and I had a craving for sweet mixed pickles. I went to grab a celery, $4.49!!! I don't even like celery, but I needed it for a recipe. So, I went to Farm boy, thinking it would be cheaper, $3.99!!!!
I know it's the off season for veggies, but come on, nearly $5.00 for celery.
So, now I have this damn celery in my fridge. Other than celery and dip, or celery and peanut butter, any suggestions? I use it for stuffing, maybe soup,but that's about it.

Replies

• KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Walmart has pre-cut snack packs of celery.
    Small pack = small price.
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    I never even thought of Walmart.
    Next time. Thanx for the tip.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Celery is really good as a filler in stir fry. Cut it at and angle and don't cook it too long so it stays crunchy.
  • judyvalentine512
    Not crazy about it in a stir fry. I'll chomp on it with some dip later. Maybe peanut butter.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 507 Member
    I cut up celery and put it in meatloaf, soups, and stews. Many recipes call for it with onions, peppers, etc. I will also cut it up and put in salads, even tuna salad, chicken salad, and pasta salad as it adds a nice crunch.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    I paid $2.50 each for green bell peppers this week. :( But I really enjoy them and since getting enough veggies is something I struggle with I guess I'm stuck with it.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    They say the flooding has made vegetables hard to get. I know I looked at a cauliflower not much bigger than my fist this morning $4. Still better than the $8 they were at christmas. I got a deal at walmart this morning on reduced veggies. They are importing most of their veggies from Spain. With the Canadian loonie down it costs a lot more to import them. I'm not paying $4 for a head of lettuce. Keep the leaves and ends of the celery for soups and stews by freezing them. Not much going into the compost bin with the crazy prices.
  • judyvalentine512
    I saw a cauliflower yesterday for 6.99. I checked my freezer this morning. Because I tend to buy lots of stuff when it's on sale, this month all I have to buy is fresh milk and bread. I'm going to take my sister's advice and buy a couple of bags of frozen veggies. I knew that hoarding tendency would pay off.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    I am in Ontario and I saw cauliflower for $1.99 today!! Have to watch the sales...and adjust menu accordingly to suit what is on sale! :)
  • judyvalentine512
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    I am in Ontario and I saw cauliflower for $1.99 today!! Have to watch the sales...and adjust menu accordingly to suit what is on sale! :)

Yes Jane, I'm in Ottawaa. I picked up extra and will blanch and freeze some. And have some fresh today. I really watch the sales this month, I have some extra expenses this month with a wedding and birthdays.
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    They are importing from Spain now so we are seeing prices coming down. I think you are seeing lower prices in the east then I am on the west coast.
  • judyvalentine512
    That kinda explains it.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »

Yes Jane, I'm in Ottawaa. I picked up extra and will blanch and freeze some. And have some fresh today. I really watch the sales this month, I have some extra expenses this month with a wedding and birthdays.
    I am in Ottawa too!! In Barrhaven!

• judyvalentine512
    I'm on Prince of Wales Drive, near Hog's back. I was in Kars, but I moved in July.
  • JaneKnoll1
    I'm on Prince of Wales Drive, near Hog's back. I was in Kars, but I moved in July.
    Long ago I lived in Osgoode!! Small world!! My kids went to school at Kars Middle school. Now they are 38 and 40 lol!!!

• judyvalentine512
    Small world indeed. I grew up in Gatineau, and my kids still live there. Osgoode is a nice area to live too.